Tire size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size question

Has anyone tried a 235-55 R17 tire on their G6?

It's about 3/4" wider than OEM and 1" larger in dia than OEM.

Your thoughts?

Mikey

Should ride good and fit fine. Go check http://www.tires.com or http://www.tirerack.com to see if they have that available as an optional size...

Also look at the Miata Tire size calculator that has been stickied in this forum to calculate the difference in circumference.

John
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

That much taller tire could cause some abs problems and it will definetly cause your speedo to read slow. I used a 235-45-18 and they are just slightly taller, no problems. Good luck
      Hey, this is Amanda, check out my G6 Coupe on cardomain.com It has a cool wing from spoilers-direct.com. Motegi Racing DV5 chrome 18x8's and Kuhmo SPT performance tires. I'll be adding eibach prokit in the near future.

Comment

First a 235 is only 10mm wider than a 225 (assuming you have the standard GT tires).

A 235/55-17 is the wrong size. Your speedo would be off ~5.1%. A 235/50-17 or a 245/45-17 would be a lot better. I'm not sure how wide the stock GT wheels are, or what wheels you would be mounting these too, but make sure that they are wide enough for what ever tires you get.
        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Keep the same tire height (diameter) as stock. ABS and Speedo affected.
          Here is a chart of tire heights:
          http://www.sstire.com/tireheights.html

Or Calculate the tire diameter yourself:

Tire Diameter = ((width)(.aspect ratio)/25.4)(2) + wheel diameter

Example: 225/50 X 18" Stock on my G6 convert GTP

((245(.50)) / 25.4)(2) + 18 = 27.65"

Later,
          Don ruckmn@comcast.net
          2006 G6 GTP Convertible
          2005 Ford Focus Wagon
          1996 Dodge Viper RT/10

Comment

My painted rims are the 16s, with 215-60/R16 tires with a profile height of 129mm and an OD of 26 3/16".

I wanted to keep the profile height, and adjust for the difference in the speedo...

Apparently the tire I want is not available in 235-55/R17... but it is available in 225-55R17.

So that'll give me a profile height of 124mm and an OD of 26 3/4". Pretty darn close to original.

I guess it'll have to do!

Mikey

Comment

mikey what wheels are you going to be puttin your tires on?
              Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

these... they come from a G6 GT.

Mikey

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
                  these... they come from a G6 GT.

Mikey
                  how i love those wheels... :smoke:
                  Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey
                    My painted rims are the 16s, with 215-60/R16 tires with a profile height of 129mm and an OD of 26 3/16".

I wanted to keep the profile height, and adjust for the difference in the speedo...

Apparently the tire I want is not available in 235-55/R17... but it is available in 225-55R17.

So that'll give me a profile height of 124mm and an OD of 26 3/4". Pretty darn close to original.

I guess it'll have to do!

Mikey
                    what are you talking about they dont have 235/55

You got plenty to choose from

http://www.ec-securehost.com/cgi-bin/On ... search.cgi

Your speedo going to be off my 1 MPH,,, big fukin DEAL!!

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                      First a 235 is only 10mm wider than a 225 (assuming you have the standard GT tires).

A 235/55-17 is the wrong size. Your speedo would be off ~5.1%. A 235/50-17 or a 245/45-17 would be a lot better. I'm not sure how wide the stock GT wheels are, or what wheels you would be mounting these too, but make sure that they are wide enough for what ever tires you get.
                      How is a 235/50 better, its even a shorter tire.
                      A 245/45 is even worse... you need to get a better calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by BlownGP
                        Did you notice that he was also going from 16s to 17s?
                        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:

Comment

I'm considering the tires from the Ford 500, 215-60/R17, to give the G6 that lowered look...

or the tires from the Nissan Altima, 215-55/R17

Mikey

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                            Did you notice that he was also going from 16s to 17s?
                            Yes, but that doesnt matter..

I was comparing the stock 17" tire size that comes on the GT

Comment

I was comparing the stock 17" tire size that comes on the GT
                              I'm sorry, but you are wrong because you used the wrong size stock tire.

Stock 215/60-16 (which the original poster has) = ((215*.6)/25.4)*2+16= 26.157"

Stock GT tires 225/50-17 = ((225*.5)/25.4)*2+17= 25.858"

235/55-17 = ((235*.55)/25.4)*2+17= 27.177"

my suggestions

235/50-17 = ((235*.50)/25.4)*2+17= 26.252" <---- almost perfect

245/45-17 (which wouldn't fit the wheel anyway) = ((245*.45)/25.4)*2+17= 25.681"

All numbers also reverified using the miata.net tire calculator.

Where again is my math wrong??!

Comment

Working...
                              X