wax remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax remover

hey i was waxing the car the other day and i accidentally went down onto the rough plastic rear valance and now i have a white film/powder stains on it how do i strip that wax off?
    Profession: Mobile Audio/Video and Electronics Sales
    Experience: 10+ years
    Rides: 07 Grand Prix GXP, 08 G6 v6, 78 Camaro(under construction)

Re: wax remover

Two methods that I know of can be used:

There is a product called back to black that you should be able to find at your local Pep Boys.

Or, use plain Palmolive and water.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

yea i use that on all black parts of my car! works pretty well!

Comment

From my experience, back to black does NOT remove the wax from the plastic, it is only going to hide it for a while. It eventually will come back.

You can try dish detergent, but I've found even that is not often successful.

When I had my vibe, i did the same thing, and unfortunately, the only thing that got rid of the white streaks was time.

In the future though i've read if you apply back to black to your plastic trim BEFORE waxing, it keeps the wax from settling on the plastic in the first place.
        2009 PONTIAC G8
        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

cool guys thanks... i have also done some more research and found that rubbing alcohol works do you guys know anything about this? also do they make a rear valance for the g6's that is the same as the rest of the car because i think that would look alot better then that dumb plastic piece
          Profession: Mobile Audio/Video and Electronics Sales
          Experience: 10+ years
          Rides: 07 Grand Prix GXP, 08 G6 v6, 78 Camaro(under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by chromeG6
            cool guys thanks... i have also done some more research and found that rubbing alcohol works do you guys know anything about this? also do they make a rear valance for the g6's that is the same as the rest of the car because i think that would look alot better then that dumb plastic piece
            Didn't work for me, but you can try it.

The problem with many of those things is that they are known to remove wax on painted surfaces, but that does not necessarily mean they will work on plastics.
            2009 PONTIAC G8
            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Meguiar's Trim Detailer has always worked for me. You have to scrub the plastic with it though, using a terry cloth.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                Meguiar's Trim Detailer has always worked for me. You have to scrub the plastic with it though, using a terry cloth.
                For once i can say i HAVEN'T tried that one
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Back to Black works, but it's a lot of elbow grease. Found a quick and dirty way, is to use tire shine on it.

I threw some Meg's Endurance Shine on my black pieces and they're good as new.
                  <-- Gray G6? Click!
                  2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                  2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                  Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Back to black is trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                      Back to black is trash.
                      Agreed. Hyper Dressing ftw
                      Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Peanut Butter can remove wax from trim, wipe it on and wash it off. Never tried myself but I guess the oils in the butter bond with the wax and strip it right off.
                        Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Comment

Also.. another thing to consider, Turtle's new Ice Wax doesn't leave white residue like most traditional wax. I have yet, gonna try it out this weekend.
                          2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                          Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                          Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                          2005 CGM GTO.
                          386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                          2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Also try Mr.Clean Magic Erasers. I used those in conjunction with F21 and it works pretty good.

And yeah... I stopped using the Back to Black. Tired of it wearing out in a day.
                            <-- Gray G6? Click!
                            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X