Fuel efficency question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel efficency question

I wanted to ask fellow canadians, as we work with Km's and not Miles.

My screen shows that i am getting 12.1L per 100kms (city driving),
    and i feel that it should be lower than that.

What is everyone else getting, please post.

R.I.P. 2005 - 2010

Had:
    15% tint, Recessed upper grilles, Tinted tails & Black emblem overlays, Custom Spoiler,
    Black painted calipers w/decals, debadged, Stebro Stainless Steel Exhaust System,
    Painted engine cover and Hood Liner, 18" Solstice rims & tires, ZZP Strut bar,
    Black leather seats, R1 cross drilled and slotted rotors, AIT front bumper!

Re: Fuel efficency question

I was getting around 10.4, with about 60-70% city driving.

100% city, it was closer to 12-13sh I think.

I had a 3900 with the 6 speed manual.

Comment

I'm the same as Jnak mainly. The 3.9 can be a really fuel efficient engine, if you only drive on the highway, and only drive long distances. In the city it's horrible.

I'm averaging 11.5ish right now all city. I used to have it up at 13.5 most of the time but my tune and my more tempered driving have corrected that now.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

sadly mine was averaging a 13.# since i had it....

recently reset it on my trip from winnipeg and it was 8.#.....currently not too sure.

Comment

To me it sounds like you are complaining about good city mileage
          Originally posted by WoodburyMan
          There's a page of leghumping afterwards

Comment

My G8 averages 12.5, with the same 60-70% city driving, FYI

Comment

Originally posted by travis05
              To me it sounds like you are complaining about good city mileage
              Thats what i was trying to figure out!
              I wasnt sure if what i was getting was good or bad.

R.I.P. 2005 - 2010

Had:
              15% tint, Recessed upper grilles, Tinted tails & Black emblem overlays, Custom Spoiler,
              Black painted calipers w/decals, debadged, Stebro Stainless Steel Exhaust System,
              Painted engine cover and Hood Liner, 18" Solstice rims & tires, ZZP Strut bar,
              Black leather seats, R1 cross drilled and slotted rotors, AIT front bumper!

Comment

I get an average 21 MPG on the 3900.

Heres an intresting fact for the day, gasoline engine are only aprox 25% fuel effecient
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I have a 2005 G6 GT Coupe, with the 3.5L "LX9" V6 engine.

I've been tracking my fuel use since April 2007. My single "worst tank" was a calculated 10.4L/100km (22.6 MPG [US gallons]) on a mixture of city and country driving (not really highway). My DIC said I got 9.4L/100km and averaged 49km/h over 408.0km. That was in January 2008 - and winter driving is definitely worse for fuel use (winter gas has less energy, I use snow tires, maybe there was snow on the road, etc.)

My "best ever" was 6.6L/100km (35.8 mpg) for a 75km trip on the 401 east of Oshawa. For a 3/4 tank run (i.e., more than 40 litres), my best is 6.8L/100km (34.7mpg) over 682.2km, using 46.196L of regular. My longest distance travelled on a tank was 719.3km, using 50.045L (and getting 7.0L/100km or 33.8mpg). My "warning light" came on and my wife didn't want to start walking along the Trans Canada Highway... so when we saw a gas station, we went for it. I could have easily gotten another 100km (the tank is 61.7L or 16.3 US Gallons) and still had a few litres to spare, but that light dictates - and you know the saying, "happy wife, happy life!"

So back to your original question - in my opinion, your fuel consumption rate is not very good even though you're driving all "city". Try keeping your RPM's below 2000 when you're accelerating and you'll see a huge improvement.

Take Care,
                  GraniteGrey
                  Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

^ that's some really good mileage you're getting. It might be even better than what our G5 gets on the highway.

Comment

It all depends on what you're doing. I can set my cruise control on the highway at 80kph, 90kph, 100kph 120kph and always get different numbers. I get around 7.0-7.5 set at 120kph and 6.5-7 at 100kph. City driving is variable and obviously depends on the city, traffic lights, and everything else. I get anything between 10-14 city depending on the day.

G
                      Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan Granite Metallic; ASA JH9 19' on Michelin PS2 (225/40/19); Red Caliper Paint by Duplicolor; Partial debadge; Lumar Tint 30/20; Eibach Springs; Razzi Ground Effects; GT-R Exhaust, CRAB Intake, VMS PCM Tune, MPD Hood
                      Upcoming Mods: Stage 4

Comment

Highway I get around 7-7.5 and city I usually get around 9-10. Worse case I usually will pull around 12 city and 8.5 on the highway.

Comment

I should have mentioned my averages since April 2007. I have:
                          • driven 52,847km (32,837 miles)[/*:m:3rz5mhfp]
                          • used 4,338 litres (1146 US gallons) of fuel [mostly regular (87 octane)][/*:m:3rz5mhfp]
                          • paid C$4,591 for that fuel (C$1.058/L)[/*:m:3rz5mhfp]
                          • averaged 8.2 L/100km (28.7 mpg) [the DIC says I've averaged 7.5L/100km][/*:m:3rz5mhfp]
                          • travelled at an average speed (according to the DIC) of 65.2km/h[/*:m:3rz5mhfp]

Because my DIC is wrong by almost 9% on the fuel economy, I am not confident that the average speed calculation is right either.

Yes jnak, I'm fairly happy with my fuel economy. My drive to work used to be about 60km each way, and took me about an hour door-to-door. Except for the "city driving" at each end, I was on rural 80km/h zones for a good part of the trip - unfortunately, there are a number of stop lights on these roads. Some days are better than others for getting green lights. Add to this that my wife and I drove from the Greater Toronto Area to Yellowstone N.P. in 2007 and up to Thunder Bay this past summer, making my highway miles far outweigh the city miles. That's why I record my average speed.

I'm still with the same company, but I just moved offices so I'm now less than 5km away. I'm expecting my fuel economy will take a pretty bad hit, but I'll definitely spend less on fuel anyway.

Take Care,
                          GraniteGrey

Comment

Reading these posts has awakened me! I've been much too complacent and not bothering to keep an eye on my fuel consumption/management. That's pretty shameful in these tight times and I am going to start this weekend watching my numbers. I'll post after a couple of weeks and we'll see how my 3.6 coupled with my driving habits and mix of city and highway performs. With my new equipment from Pooners my foot has become heavier!
                            Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
                            Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
                            Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

Originally posted by standfast
                              With my new equipment from Pooners my foot has become heavier!
                              I don't want it to sound like I'm some kind of fuel economy saint... I've been known to chirp the tires and go wide-open-throttle now and then. I will admit that I'm more often watching my fuel use (and driving safely) than I am at the other end of the spectrum, but you don't buy a V6 model to just go get groceries.

Comment

Working...
                              X