Leather... =[

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather... =[

Don't ask how it happened, because it's all very lame. Anyway...

I got expanding foam on the back seat, which looks disgustingly horrible and I don't know how I'm going to get it off the black leather.

Additionally, after my car sat in the sun for a while a mastercraft logo melted onto the seat right beside those stains, which is equally fantastic.

Suggestions on how to deal with this would be great!

Re: Leather... =[

I'm sorry but of the logo
    2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
    Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

Sounds like it might be time for a trip to the seat cover store

Comment

I know how to get the stuff off of your seats. just post some pictures and I'll let you know
        the best way to tackle it. lol

- Alpine IVA-w505 7" DVD with built in Blackbird GPS
        - JL 1000.1 Amp
        - JL 12" W7
        - 10% Front Tint, 5% Rear

Comment

alot of elbow grease and some extreme leather cleaner
          2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
          2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
          613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
          11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
          New numbers coming soon........

Comment

Here's a couple pics as per request... I hope you guys can share my hate. Haha.

Mastercraft

Expanding Foam

Comment

PM interfire.....he knows about leather cleaning. Course with the foam you may be screwed.
              Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Haha ahh deja vu, last year I worked on a truck that had the same problem except there was a Dewalt and 2 Bosch logos... yes the guy made the same mistake... twice.... on a practically brand new truck.
                Anyway if you don't want to try and tackle this yourself, I would highly suggest contacting a professional detailer to handle it asap since you may have to resort to using solvents.

Have you tried using anything yet? Depending on the type of paint they used for the logo, if it's water based you should have no problems removing it. Try first a terry cloth with some warm water and soap. Otherwise you will have to use solvents to remove it, and if that's the case if it's oil based you may be in for a battle. Magic erasers work well, and rubbing alcohol should take it out no problem so you can move up to that but don't rub too hard because they will pull some colour out. For off the shelf stuff I would use a leather cleaner, not a conditioner or 2 in 1 formula. The reason being is the cleaner will have far better cleaning ability than the mixed stuff (obviously) and you will get far better results. After just be sure to hit it with a conditioner to restore oils into it and help prevent any further damage.

The foam is going to be much harder to remove, I assume it's dried by now so the best thing you can do is scrape away and remove as much as you can with something like a credit card or something similar. You can use a knife but you would have to be extremely careful to not cut the leather. Funny thing is I have come across this before as a detailer that were far worse, and I was able to remove it completely in all but 2 cases. One of which was on a cloth seat so that's pretty much a lost cause, the other was on leather but also had damage from the customer trying to use gasoline. Anyway I like to use low concentration MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but this is hard to find because you have to have the low strength otherwise it will pull out way too much dye. You can use a mixture of rubbing alcohol with a little bit of acetone mixed in, but test it first and use it sparingly with a q-tip and don't rub it too much and don't do this when the seats are hot.

I had a lot more typed out but lost it, so this is a very quick version. If you want you send me a PM and I can try to walk you through more things to try with more detail.

Comment

Thank you for the lengthy reply, Interfire. I really appreciate your time.

I haven't done anything to try and remove either stains; I know that working leather can be tricky in the first place so I refrained. Removing the Mastercraft logo doesn't seem too difficult and I have magic eraser products kickin' around the house already, so I'll give that a go when I get a chance.

I knew that the foam was going to be a hassle...

It's really not a big deal at all for me to take this to a detailing shop - would it be in my best interest to just do that as opposed to trying to deal with this myself? I don't have any experience at all when it comes to this stuff. A big part of me asking these questions was to see if a detailing place would actually be able to handle my stains.

Comment

A reputable place should be able to handle that no problem, as long as you get it taken care of asap. The issue is that actually separating the pros from the "shops" is somewhat difficult, because most of the pros are independent detailers. Most shops (in my opinion) really do nothing different than the average person could do, they just cater to people who are too lazy to wash/wax their car themselves thus I try to tell people to avoid them unless it is a reputable shop. I would recommend you try what you can, the logo you should be able to remove off easily but about the foam I would try the iso/ace mixture and try it on a small area. If that doesn't do anything then you'll want to try and get a hold of a place that can remove it, as the last resort will be to use detailing solvents. If those don't remove it, chances are nothing will.

If you want you can give/PM me your location and I can see if I know any guys around your area.

Comment

Working...
                    X