Issues of HIDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues of HIDs

OK... I thought over some problems associated with aftermarket HIDs...

Problem is, DRL is mandatory here in Canada. My friend (who's basically the one pushing me into the HID GB) showed me that whenever the car is on DRL mode, the HIDs flicker, as the voltage level isn't up there it'll do that.

Way to solve this is to pull the DRL fuse and to completely disable it. However, I can imagine legal problems with that already, being stopped by cops daily and probably even a ticket.

Or another way is to ignore the auto headlamp system, and turn on the headlamps manually everytime you drive. Doesn't sound like a very sensible solution (my friend is doing this though).

I've heard of some cars you can build a relay to make the highbeams be the DRLs at a lower voltage, but that looks complicated and I don't think anyone has built one for the sixer yet.

So in other sense, I'm now beginning to think if this is still a good idea to get them. It almost sounds like I'm paying money to add a risk of getting a citation.
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Use the fog lights.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Yeah I thought of that and I keep second guessing. I'd like HID's but I think I might just wait until they make some silverstars or something.

Comment

But when you turn on the foglights the parking lamps come one as well.
        <-- Gray G6? Click!
        2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

I thought of trying to relay the DRL to somewhere else. Manually turning them on isn't really feasible for me, since I'll forget it and destroy the HIDs eventually.

Has anyone tried relaying the DRLs to the high beams on lower voltage?
          <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Wow, those things must be pretty touchy because reduced intensity low beam DRLs run pretty close to normal voltage - I think it is 75-92% or something.

Maybe they are just drawing so much power that the voltage drop is greater. In that case you are probably on the hairy edge of blowing the DRL fuse when they are on.

Comment

what if i got no fog light? would that be a problem

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

I think you can route it to the high beams. I was thinking about this route too, since this was my first option. However the issue is to make the lamps run at a lower intensity. I haven't figured this one out yet.

There should be a resistor for the current DRLs, but I don't know where it is. If we can tap this wire into the high-beams that might do the trick.
                <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

There isn't a resistor - just a really long piece of wire

That might give you a clue

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                    There isn't a resistor - just a really long piece of wire

That might give you a clue
                    A really long wire forms a resistor itself.
                    <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Speaking of which, has anyone who installed HIDs already have flickering problems?
                      <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                        Speaking of which, has anyone who installed HIDs already have flickering problems?
                        i know GTPGuy82 has HIDs...not sure who else has them but you could PM him and see what he did for his setup.

Comment

disable the drls, and if you need lights on during hte day just flick on your fogs...the other lights do not come on with them

Comment

But this will turn on the parking lamps as well.
                            <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

yeh but that wont turn on the hids that will be in the low beams spot

Comment

Working...
                              X