16" wheels affecting handling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" wheels affecting handling?

Me and my friend were doing some (cough cough) high speed (cough) testing of cornering of our cars. I felt that in corners (with TC off), the car is a bit floaty.

My friend told me that because of my 16" wheels, the tires are squishing when I corner, and that affects my handling.

So is it because of the 16s the handling is affected, and the way that the suspension is tuned compared to upper trims?
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

everything from the suspension to weight distribution to your tires is going to affect how the car handles. i don't think the fact that you have 16" tires is not the reason the car feels soaky at high speeds.

Comment

16s will not handle as well due to the taller sidewall which is not as firm as the 17s. Stiff sidewalls will not roll over and therefore cause better handling....
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

if the sidewalls are different heights than yeah that could happen, but i don't think that it is just cause you have 16" wheels. why can't you get 16" tires with a smaller sidewall?

Comment

It affects the reading of the speedometer and the look of the vehicle by having too small circumference tires on the car. Upgrade to 17 or 18 inch wheels with slightly wider tires and you will really feel the difference. Just remember to get lightweight rims....

Comment

Upgrading is a great idea, but it's not like I have money to do it though

Just trying to confirm what my friend says :P
            <-- Gray G6? Click!
            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.

Comment

You could also get some performance oriented tires for th 16 inch rims which will have firmer sidewalls, but really you are better off upgrading to a larger wheel/shorter sidewall as well...

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
                You could also get some performance oriented tires for th 16 inch rims which will have firmer sidewalls, but really you are better off upgrading to a larger wheel/shorter sidewall as well...
                i agree...in the long run larger wheels will help you out. let us know what you decide to do.

Comment

I'll probably won't do anything at the moment. I'm just interested to know if the effect was true.
                  <-- Gray G6? Click!

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                    I'll probably won't do anything at the moment. I'm just interested to know if the effect was true.
                    it is..

The taller the tire, the more sidewall flex..

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

While it is true in theory, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the 16s... the tires themselves (tread, build, etc) certainly play a role as well, as does supension, weight distribution, and the like. I've noticed my G6 sedan tends to squeal a bit on corners my old Grand Am has no complaints about.

Personally, my gut feeling is that it's the suspension. The GT and GTP have some upgraded components over the regular V6 model.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCryptic
                        While it is true in theory, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the 16s... the tires themselves (tread, build, etc) certainly play a role as well, as does supension, weight distribution, and the like. I've noticed my G6 sedan tends to squeal a bit on corners my old Grand Am has no complaints about.

Personally, my gut feeling is that it's the suspension. The GT and GTP have some upgraded components over the regular V6 model.

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
                        Just trying to confirm what my friend says :P
                        I would agree, that yes what your friend said is true, but definitely not the only issue. I would imagine you are noticing more of the suspension then the tires.
                        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Put it this way haha I had 225/40/18s on my rims that I just sold, I could take an onramp at easily 55mph and while the roll was there due to the lackluster suspension of the base model. Now I tried that with the stock 16 inchers and the car felt as tho I had no control over it due to the make up of the stock tires. So your buddy was def right.. agree with the rest!
                          Originally posted by Toyz
                          Originally posted by simplyred
                          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by simplyred
                            Put it this way haha I had 225/40/18s on my rims that I just sold, I could take an onramp at easily 55mph and while the roll was there due to the lackluster suspension of the base model. Now I tried that with the stock 16 inchers and the car felt as tho I had no control over it due to the make up of the stock tires. So your buddy was def right.. agree with the rest!
                            ^Agreed, low profiles are for a reason; shorter sidewalls give better steering response and handling...There is also an effect from new tires called tread-squirm to keep in mind. No one will condone running slicks due to wet handling, but they'll have no tread squirm while a brand new tire represents max ill effect.

I certainly agree with Klye about the role that the stock suspension plays in loose corners, too. He can possibly vouch as well, but I know for a fact that I'm seriously tighter in corners now that I have a 1.7" drop from stock height. The performance springs and STB stiffened up the ride compared to stock immensly and the Potenzas gave me the grip stock didn't offer, too!

But for your friend to simply say that the 16" wheels/tires are to blame is a false statement...the high sidewalls are the main culprit to which he refers. Weight shift and body roll are your enemies in corners; find ways to control them and you'll ride smooth and fast.
                            2006 liquid silver sedan w/6CD, sunroof & remote start; Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/55/16; Llumar 15% all around; DocSpeed stg 3; JET Powr-Flo MAF sensor; rear Monroe Maxair shocks; GM STB; Redline Quicklifts; Mobil 1 plaque, SS badge, GMPD plaque, grafx 'G6' hmsl & chrome emblem overlays; high flow cat back w/flowmaster 40; Low & Fog 5300K McCulloch HIDs; Kicker 12" SL5 with a RF bd1000 & 1 farad cap; hardwired Passport 8500 x50 blue & G-Timer GT2

Comment

Personnaly I don't like my stock tires (Uniroyal Tiger Paw 215/60/16). The rubber's too hard, they squeal as soon as you take a corner a tad too fast, and they don't grip well.

However I must admit that I never had any issues under the rain. They're safe, but ain't sport oriented.
                              COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                              Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                              MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                              Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Working...
                              X