Two question about tap-shift.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two question about tap-shift.

Im sorry in advance if these are stupid questions. I havent had the balls to try yet, and decided it could potentially be cheaper to ask.

1) - If in M (manual tap shift mode or whatever its called) and I hammer the go-fast peddle on the right ( ) will the car shift to 2nd before the motor blows up or not?? (I ask this because my buddy owns an 07 Charger, and appereantly it will shift right before the rev-limiter, which is kinda cool. Charger guys use tap shift for racing, cause it computer controlls thier shifts, but at the peak of the rev.) just wondering if ours work the same.

2) - If im driving around in D, and want to drop it into M can I do that at any speed, or do I have to stop to do it??
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Re: Two question about tap-shift.

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
    Im sorry in advance if these are stupid questions. I havent had the balls to try yet, and decided it could potentially be cheaper to ask.

1) - If in M (manual tap shift mode or whatever its called) and I hammer the go-fast peddle on the right ( ) will the car shift to 2nd before the motor blows up or not?? (I ask this because my buddy owns an 07 Charger, and appereantly it will shift right before the rev-limiter, which is kinda cool. Charger guys use tap shift for racing, cause it computer controlls thier shifts, but at the peak of the rev.) just wondering if ours work the same.

2) - If im driving around in D, and want to drop it into M can I do that at any speed, or do I have to stop to do it??
    1) I've bounced off the rev limiter, so i think it's a no.
    2) Any forward speed including 0.
    "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
    ~~GWAR's description of Hell
    SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

1. will not shift until u shift (at least in the G6 GTP), i have taken the 6 to 80 5800rmps in 2nd god i love mountain roads i know the Impala will shift into 2nd
      2. u can drop it into M anytime u want, i do it to slow down when i see a cop so i dont have to hit the breaks.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

thats to bad about the no up shift thing, but thats awesome about the downshift into M when you see a cop... good idead.
        2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

oh yah its nice, done it a bunch of times, specially at night, when they're lookin for the break lights. but mainly i do it so u dont see the car nose dive by breakin to slow down, another thing they look for

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

All the above answers are correct. Try winding it up to somewhere around 6K rpms (I must admit 'm not sure how high I rev with the VMS tune) and forgetting that your in manual. Don't I feel like the retard.

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
              2. u can drop it into M anytime u want, i do it to slow down when i see a cop so i dont have to hit the breaks.
              x2 Thats what ive been doing. No brake lights while slowing down FTW!

Chrome grilles,GM SB,HP Tuners Custom Tune,Mobil 1 Synthetic,15% tint,Custom GTP Floormats,Tinted Taillights, DS Stage 3, GXP Rims.

Comment

Originally posted by TwistinTommy
                All the above answers are correct. Try winding it up to somewhere around 6K rpms (I must admit 'm not sure how high I rev with the VMS tune) and forgetting that your in manual. Don't I feel like the retard.
                yah i know i have down that a few times and u do feel like a retard. ur like y the fuk isnt it changin gears, oh yah im in M

Comment

lol yep I've done that too. You know when you hit the rev limiter though, it seems like the car slows down a few mph then you can shift
                  Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                  I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                  i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Yup, it will downshift for you, but it'll bounce off the rev limiter until you push the up button

I've pulled it in and out of D to M with no problems during my daily commute, so you're good to go there.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Thanks everyone

I figured it was better to ask than to assume lol
                      2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Comment

all I have is lower gear , but it will automatically shift even if i dont press the + button, though it will not come up as switching gears on the HUD.
                        WWRJD?... HE'D KICK SOME ASS

Comment

Originally posted by AndyM16 3.0
                          all I have is lower gear , but it will automatically shift even if i dont press the + button, though it will not come up as switching gears on the HUD.
                          Wait.... WHAT????

you dont have M???

but you have a + .... as in shift up?? im confused
                          2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Comment

SS's have Tap Shift, anything below the SS, including the LTZ has lower gear. drop it down to L, there are 2 buttons on the side of the shifter a + and a -. you use those to switch gears. mines a 4speed
                            WWRJD?... HE'D KICK SOME ASS

Comment

So is ours I did not know that Malibu came with a Heads Up Display! Thats cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X