Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Vendors Question

Hello Fellow Malibu'ers:

The BuYeah has reach past the 50k mile mark. I have already turned the rotors, and changed the front pads like 30 k miles ago. And I am getting fed up with the OEM rotors warping, and shuddering again. I think they are about due to be replace, as well as the brake pads. I've read (and my car buddies recommended) that PowerSlot and Hawk/EBC brake pads are the way to go. However, what sites do you all recommend to order from?

Thanks,
    Benny
    Benny
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3162767

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS - *Wagon Mafia*: Dr. Speed Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Mobil1, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors, Hawk Performance Brakes Pads, 18 x 8.0 Konig Theory in Graphite, 235/50/ZR18 BFGoodrich G-Force, 10K Banbo H11 HID Kit, 2.5K Noyka Fogs, 35% 3M Tint, Smoked-Out Tails, Shorty Vette Antenna, 12" Hifonics Atlas enclosed in a ported box, 1501D MTX D-Class Amp, RF Cap, RF 0 Gauge Wire, 1" Kenwood KFC-ST30 Tweeters

Re: Recommended Vendors Question

I have the powerslot/hawk (ceramic) combo and I ordered through tirerack.com. At the time I ordered, the powerslots were difficult to get ahold of, so my order was pending for several months until they received more stock. Tirerack stayed in constant communication with me throughout the process, giving me updates once every two weeks or so, and were very polite. I just ordered tires from them, and received them three days after placing my order, so if they have the rotors and pads in stock expect to get them blazingly fast.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Originally posted by wormhole
      I have the powerslot/hawk (ceramic) combo and I ordered through tirerack.com. At the time I ordered, the powerslots were difficult to get ahold of, so my order was pending for several months until they received more stock. Tirerack stayed in constant communication with me throughout the process, giving me updates once every two weeks or so, and were very polite. I just ordered tires from them, and received them three days after placing my order, so if they have the rotors and pads in stock expect to get them blazingly fast.
      Awesome, I will check out Tirerack.com then. Thanks for the quick tip!
      Benny

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS - *Wagon Mafia*: Dr. Speed Airbox, Intake Resonator Delete, Mobil1, PowerSlot Slotted Rotors, Hawk Performance Brakes Pads, 18 x 8.0 Konig Theory in Graphite, 235/50/ZR18 BFGoodrich G-Force, 10K Banbo H11 HID Kit, 2.5K Noyka Fogs, 35% 3M Tint, Smoked-Out Tails, Shorty Vette Antenna, 12" Hifonics Atlas enclosed in a ported box, 1501D MTX D-Class Amp, RF Cap, RF 0 Gauge Wire, 1" Kenwood KFC-ST30 Tweeters

Comment

Sure thing. I think they sell the rotors individually (but the pads come in front or rear sets), so here's some part #'s for ya:

Power Slot Cryo Rotors http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results. ... Power+Slot
        front: 8278
        rear: 8279

Hawk Ceramic Pads http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results. ... egory=Pads
        front: HB524Z.740
        rear: HB525Z.540

Hit the two links to take you directly to search results, you can see the other pad options in case you don't want ceramic.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Wormhole, dude you rock!! Thanks for the part numbers!!

My Maxx is my daily driver (and thru Michigan winters ) I am curious how PowerSlots/Hawk Pads would do in these "harsh" conditions.

There is another rotor brand: ATE
          http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.j ... perfCode=S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

what are your thoughts on this product?

I am trying to find a great rotor that performs well and last long for daily driving.
          Benny

Comment

Well, I don't have to deal with the salt and snow for 6 months of the year like you do, so I can't advise you there I'm lucky if I see snow for three days a year in my part of NC - mountains get it a few months a year though. NC is a very protected state; we have the mountains absorbing storms coming from the west and the outer banks protecting us to the east, so those of us in the middle have pretty constant weather.

As for the ATE's, they seem to have good reviews. Here's a post from a Volvo board:

ATE's are a long standing manufacturer of OEM pads for many good foreign car makes. Perfectly good product, similar to both Brembo and Zimmerman. You will find that manufacturers move among those brands periodically, depending on who is the most competetive when it is time to compete for the next big supply contract.
            I'd ask about them in the brakes/suspension forum and see if any other members can provide any more feedback. Also consider the R1 Concepts and Cequence rotors that other members here have - I can't speak for them personally but they seem to be ok. The Cequence have a clicking noise on some types of designs though.

Comment

I am also in the market for some new rotors and brakes as my car is rumbling like crazy when stopping - I am assuming warped rotors.

would love to know your decision. I have no idea what to get.

Comment

sure I'll let y'all know what I choose!! I need to make a decision soon, because my warp rotors are bugging me!!!
                Benny

Comment

Originally posted by RudyAa
                  I am also in the market for some new rotors and brakes as my car is rumbling like crazy when stopping - I am assuming warped rotors.

would love to know your decision. I have no idea what to get.
                  You'll know if your rotors are warped if your car shakes a lot when you apply the brakes. It is certainly more noticeable at higher speeds.

Comment

I have valuable information to add to this, but am at work... hold off till I get home!! It'll be in a few hours!!
                    I gotta find something that I was reading the other day also....
                    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

06MaxxSSoh sweeet. I'm all ears!!

Wormhole: Dude, may I ask if you can post or send me some pics of the powerslots you have? I am really considering a set for the BuYeah. My buddy has 'em on both his cars (Nissan 200sx and a Suby Forrester XT). Both cars are heavily modded and his FXT is his dd and the rotors hold up very well!!! Any pics would be awesome. Thanks!!
                      Benny

Comment

My buddy has r1 concepts on his Charger, and they seem to be really nice rotors. they were very reasonable priced, and the customer service was great. Hes really happy with them. He also bought Hawk ceramic pads, and the are beyond dusty. If you don't want to be cleaning your wheels once a week then I might not suggest them. They stop really well, but create a ton of dust. Ive been reading really good things about "stuff" pads... green stuff, red stuff or yellow stuff (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html)

When the time comes, which is very soon, I'll be buying red stuff, and from everything that ive read, I should be happy with them. the reviews for red in particular are really good (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/redstuffinfo.html)

anyway that my two cents. I cant find the site I was looking at the other day. I was a brake down of all different pads, and the stats compared to each other... really good stuff.

Im NOT saying that Hawks aren't good, I'm just saying that they're really dusty, and if you can get the same performance with less cleaning time I say go for it!!
                        you can buy them here: http://www.buybrakes.com/store/EBC-DP31763C

I'll stop now......
                        2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Yeah, one of the things I was reading was that ceramics were supposed to decrease brake dust. I haven't noticed a difference honestly.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
                            My buddy has r1 concepts on his Charger, and they seem to be really nice rotors. they were very reasonable priced, and the customer service was great. Hes really happy with them. He also bought Hawk ceramic pads, and the are beyond dusty. If you don't want to be cleaning your wheels once a week then I might not suggest them. They stop really well, but create a ton of dust. Ive been reading really good things about "stuff" pads... green stuff, red stuff or yellow stuff (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html)

When the time comes, which is very soon, I'll be buying red stuff, and from everything that ive read, I should be happy with them. the reviews for red in particular are really good (http://www.ebcbrakes.com/redstuffinfo.html)

anyway that my two cents. I cant find the site I was looking at the other day. I was a brake down of all different pads, and the stats compared to each other... really good stuff.

Im NOT saying that Hawks aren't good, I'm just saying that they're really dusty, and if you can get the same performance with less cleaning time I say go for it!!
                            you can buy them here: http://www.buybrakes.com/store/EBC-DP31763C

I'll stop now......
                            Thanks for the info dude!! But I will go with Hawks

Originally posted by wormhole
                            Yeah, one of the things I was reading was that ceramics were supposed to decrease brake dust. I haven't noticed a difference honestly.

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow for ya.
                            Awesome thanks. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

My buddy is hooking me up with a discount on the PowerSlot Rotors and Hawk Pads, and I wlil be ordering them real soon! Thanks again for the useful info!!
                            Benny

Comment

Crap well Monday has come and gone and I never took the pics. Shame on me.

Here's a pic of the rear from when I did the springs. The fronts will be vented as well as slotted, instead of being solid and slotted.

Comment

Working...
                              X