How-To: Remove Throttle Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Remove Throttle Body

I take no responsibilty blah blah for anything ever, yadda yadda.

Here's a quick how-to that will walk you through removing the throttle body. This from a 2006 GTP Coupe 6MT. This process takes about 20 minutes. It is pretty easy if you can handle a wrench

First off, tools you'll need:

- Ratchet wrench w/a 10mm DEEP socket
    - Flathead screw driver
    - Any pair of plyers

And here we go...

First, you have to take the factory intake elbow off. Unhook the vent tube from the stock tubing and loosen the clamp holding the intake elbow on the throttle body.

Next undo the 10mm bolt holding the intake tub to the front of the car. Also, loosen the clamp holding the other end of the intake tube to the MAF. Remove the intake tube.

Next, you can see the throttle body bolts.

Optional: Go ahead and remove the coolant overflow tube to give you more room to work with. Any kind of plyers will work to loosen the smale clamp, then just pull the tube off. I didn't actually do this until the very end, but it makes it a lot easier.

Next comes the most retarded plug I've ever seen. There is a small light colored piece on the black plug.

You have to slide this towards the driver side of the car (GENTLY) you may need a screw driver to get into the small edge.

After the light piece is slid out, you squeeze the plug, as shown here.

Just another shot of the plug... I hate this thing!

Out of the four mounting points, the bottom two have two nuts EACH. The first nut holds on the coolant lines. Remove the bottom two nuts and pull the coolant bracket off. This takes some wiggling and pulling.

Now you can remove the remaining nuts from the bottom and the two bolts from the top.

Slide the throttle body off and you're done!
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Oh look! Kyle's a hand model now!

Good write-up.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Those hands are stunning!

Good write up kyle
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

my narcissistic hand obsession is indeed becoming more pronounced as I get older.
        2006 G6 GTP Coupe
        :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
        :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
        :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Kyle you might have another career on your hands... No pun intended...

I know I know, don't quit your day job!
          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Nice write up Kyle
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

yea nice, clear pics in that how-to. Are you gonna replace the gasket? Does it even need replacing yet?
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

port and polish...port and polish! Had a good write up made when I ported and polished my TB on the WS6. Maybe I'll tackle the G6er's some day and send you all a write up.
                2007 Pontiac G6 GTP - 3.6L DOHC VVT
                Stock DD

1998 Camaro Z28 - 6.0L 408cid LQ9
                T76 Turbo
                FMIC
                New Transmission is in

Comment

umm sir, I'm going to need to know why you removed your throttle body??

Also damn those hands are sexy!!
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                  X