K&N filter and MAF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N filter and MAF

I just ordered a Stage 2 intake from Dr Speed. I did some reading and discovered that some people have problems with oil from the K&N filter wrecking their MAF sensor. Is this an issue on the G6 (it seemed that certain cars had more issues than others)?

Re: K&N filter and MAF

Originally posted by jnak
    I just ordered a Stage 2 intake from Dr Speed. I did some reading and discovered that some people have problems with oil from the K&N filter wrecking their MAF sensor. Is this an issue on the G6 (it seemed that certain cars had more issues than others)?
    I have the Doc Speed Stage 2 intake and I have no MAF problems.Putting on too much oil after cleaning the filter, may cause a problem.
    2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
    Forge Motorsports BPV
    CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
    HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
    HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

Good question!

Luckily for both of us, the answer is: NO, it will NOT HARM the sensor.

This rumor came from people doing exactly what Keith just said. When you clean & re-oil the filter, some people SOAK the thing until its literally dripping with red oil. This excess oil gets sucked in and sticks to the inner part of the sensor and it's can't take accurate readings.
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have never had a K&N filter before - do the instructions with the cleaning oil tell you how much you should be putting on?

Comment

yep, and it's a breeze. After you clean it with the cleaner solution, just a thin coat of the oil and your set.

ps- did I really just say 'breeze' ?
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Nope, I don't think you said breeze!

I think you typed it.
            <-------- Oh Snap!
            J/P
            Gotta have a lil fun!
            Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

^ I have to ask. What's the "P" stand for in J/P?

I use j/k usually, where "K" is kidding.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

playing...most likely.

Comment

Yeah, I guess that could be it.

Slow Canuck.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

yup!
                    Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

I've never cleaned my K&N filters. In my last car it was a short ram, and it didn't really get dirty up there. But the Stage 3's might because they're behind the bumper, and some weird stuff flies up in there sometimes. But you're getting the Stage 2 so I wouldn't worry.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

K&N filters work better when there dirty..

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Did anyone have a problem with fitting the Stage 2 intake to the mass air sensor? For some reason, my clamp will not fit over the silicone coupler that connects to the mass air sensor. Or am I just doing something wrong?
                          Bradley Coco
                          2000 Grand Am GT1
                          2005 Pontiac G6 GT
                          Grand Am of the month, May 2001

http://www.pfyc.com/cotm/ga/m11_bcoco.jpg

Comment

i think somebody said the other day that the clamps are different sizes...try using the other one maybe?
                            -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                            Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

they are slightly different. Well, they're supposed to be. PM me if you still can't get it to work after using the other clamp
                              2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X