Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I gasket match the TB & upper intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I gasket match the TB & upper intake?

yeah or no?

(I need motivation) :P
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Um.. well.. I.. have.. no idea what you're talking about..

so...

Go for it!

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Sure if there is material to remove and you have it apart anyway, cant't hurt thats for sure. Wish we could get dyno - before and after.
      2006 Malibu Maxx SS with Mobil1 badge and oil cap

"ZeroRTized" manifold

Comment

Yes because then we can get pics....

John
        Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Alrighty then, I'll try to do it tomorrow morning. I washed, polished, AND waxed her tonight and now she's sleeping in the garage. :smoke:

Don't worry I took way too many pics that I'll make you all sit through.
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Do you mean dremel out the TB so it's bigger? If so, you're not gonna see too much gains from that, especially with the stock MAF and the fact that the ports coming out of the manifold would still be the same size.

Good luck trying, to do that wih a dremel, you would need a digrinder.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

You would need to port the manifold or else the extra air has no where to go..

If you are thinking what I am thinking.. LOL

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Who do you chumps think you're talkin to?!?!?!?!?!? I'm Rick James bitch!

Nah, what I'm doing is just gasket matching the opening. Honestly, I haven't even taken it apart yet to see what's what so it may not even need it.

Basically (for anybody unfamiliar with gasket matching) I look at where the gasket is compared to the port opening(s) if the gasket sticks into the airway, I cut the gasket. If the gasket is recessed from the port , I smooth the port opening to reduce the turbulance at the transition between the two parts. In this case, the TB to the upper manifold.
                2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

who edited the last part of my post? ^ I didn't say that But yea on my cougar I was able to dremel out the throttle body with a dremel. But like mentioned, if you don't make the ports bigger, you're not accomplishing anything. You may see slightly better throttle response. Maybe..
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Oh and the upper manifold on this beast will flow plenty, even with a moderate level of upgrades. If the TB/Upper is bad, I'll consider doing the upper/lower and then the lower/heads.
                    2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by G6Performance
                      Basically (for anybody unfamiliar with gasket matching) I look at where the gasket is compared to the port opening(s) if the gasket sticks into the airway, I cut the gasket. If the gasket is recessed from the port , I smooth the port opening to reduce the turbulance at the transition between the two parts. In this case, the TB to the upper manifold.
                      Thats what I was going to say if I was on the right track..
                      I aint knocking you dude. Just trying to help.. LOL

You Don't Work, You Don't Eat, You Don't Grind, You Don't Shine

Comment

Oh I know, I just wanted to say both 'chumps' and 'Rick James' in the same sentence.

Anyway, I took it apart. Unfortunately (well, it's a good thing really) the TB to upper doesn't use a traditional gasket. It uses a one of the silicone/rubber/urethane/whateverthefuckitis similar to the yellow one one the MAF. This one is blue though.

Here's a view of the back of the TB:
                        2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Coooool.

Comment

How-To for the removal process: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2701
                            2006 G6 GTP Coupe

Comment

Working...
                            X