Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove the hi-mount brake light in a coupe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove the hi-mount brake light in a coupe?

I ordered my pre-cut window tints and there here! BUT I have no idea how to remove that hi-mount brake light to get the tint under it to lay smooth without bubbles. Has anyone else who tinted thier windows figured this out? If you have pics that would be a great help!
    SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
    Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
    CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
    Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

sorry i can't help ya...i took mine to a tint shop bc the rear windshield looked like a bitch to do...also bc of the lifetime warranty and the fact that he'll fix/replace if it ever gets bubbles
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Ditto.... I would assume that you can figure it out if you get back there and start poking around..?

John
      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

You will literally have to take apart the interior of the back part of the car.

I paid a tint shop to do it as well, and they charged me extra because of that.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I was afraid you guys (ALL EXPERTS) would tell me that, and it's not what I wanted to hear. But I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me NOT to mess with it.
          On another note, how much did it cost to have a tint shop do the install? I'd imagine it's pretty expensive!

Thanks...

Dan
          Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
          Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

I dont think a tint shop will install any tint but their own (if thats what you were asking) but it should cost under $200 to have the coupe tinted.. at least I would think so?!
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Well, I'm in Canada, so allow for that, but $250.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

My tint guy did my coupe in Burbank, IL for 150, sedans are say 160+....

Comment

I may be asking you for that tint shop info Emerson, but as crazy as it sounds I MAY try to get that shelf off the back and tint the window myself this weekend. I hate giving up before I even start! IF I am successful, I'll post a how-to.

Comment

Just take your time and be careful, you can probably do it no problem!

Comment

And don't get frustrated when a panel doesn't come off. It's probably something hidden that you haven't found yet that is holding it in place still.

sigpic

Comment

You can't ask anyone on here what Tint costs... It all depends where you are at and what shops cost. %'s make a difference also. My advice would be to open the phone book and ask every shop in there what they do % wise and how much it would cost and go from there.

Comment

^I think he was just looking for a range. He has the tint, and wants to do it himself. When he found out that it will be hard to do, then he asked what we were paying to get ours done.

sigpic

Comment

A good tint shop should be able to do it without removing anything. The pre-cut tints should have a cutout for that third brake light that they can lay right around it.
                            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                            X