Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads

Ok so I'm amazed that since several people have these they haven't posted a review thread. So here goes.

Brand: Powerslot/Hawk
    Price: $420/$155
    Purchased From: Tirerack.com

Installation: Moderate
    Installation Time: 2 hrs
    Any Installation Tips You Have: If you've never done a brake change before, get someone who knows how to do it. Now that I've seen it done I could probably do it in my sleep, it's cake. Make sure to have the square tool for the rear pistons (sorry pooners, stole your pic ):

Quality of Part: 10
    Product Performance: 7 (with stocks rating somewhere around a 3-4 on my scale)
    Would you Recommend to Others: Yes

Any Other Comments: For the first few hundred miles I was very unimpressed. Thought I needed to bleed my lines or something, despite nothing being disconnected during the swap. Things were mushy and generally felt a lot like stock. But man, this morning they really woke up. I figure I finally wore down enough of the pads for them to set in. I had to slam on brakes to keep from hitting a caddy on the bypass this morning, and since then they grip pretty dang well. It's still not perfect (I guess I'll just have to get bigger rotors/calipers for that), but it is significantly improved over stock. My part numbers:

Rotors (cryo)
    Front: 8278
    Rear: 8279

Pads (ceramic)
    Front: HB524Z.740
    Rear: HB525Z.540

If I need to I can snag a couple of pics tonight, I didn't have a camera when I was changing them and I can't find my memory card anywhere so I'll have to borrow my girlfriend's.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Re: Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads

Did you follow the bedding in procedure that they recommend when you install them?

Comment

Probably not as stated, but I thought I did a pretty standard 2 stops from 35ish, 2 stops from 65ish. I mean I've been driving on these things for days (did them Sat), and they're just now starting to grab like they should. I put probably 200 miles of stop and go on them during those two days, so it wasn't like the car just sat there.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

When I see that picture Im reminded of my new exhaust system for my GTO just sitting there.
        Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
        Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
        WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

whats this square tool?? I've done many a brake job before, never needed a square tool... someone please explain
          2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

The rear pistons cannot be compressed with a C clamp like the front ones can - they have to be screwed back in. this square tool allows you to rotate around the sides and find the one with pegs that match up to the inset holes in the piston, then attach it to a ratchet and compress the piston.

Comment

Ahhh.... where did you get this square tool?? lol why are we calling it a square tool, whats it actually called???
              2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

it's called the Borg tool....
                Resistance is futile......

Comment

Yup, never heard anyone call it anything else, haha. I reckon you could walk into an auto store and tell 'em you need one of those square brake tool things and they'll know what you mean. The guy that was helping me do mine said he had one laying around for years that he inherited from his dad and never knew what it was 'til he went to change the brakes on his brother's car and saw the rear pistons.

Comment

I will buy one... I love random tools you only use once, its great having an obscure tool collection.... i guess im just a pack rat
                    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Comment

Its about $10 at any corner auto parts store.
                      The piston he is talking about is for the E-brake. Dont know if that was clear.

Hudson nailed it. Its the Borg Tool.

Just put your socket in there and turn it clockwise to compress it.

After you put it back together just pull up on your e-brake handle a half dozen times to engage it back.
                      Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                      Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                      WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

E-brake pedal you mean - one of my biggest complaints about this car

Comment

Originally posted by wormhole
                          E-brake pedal you mean - one of my biggest complaints about this car

2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Comment

The 'bu has a pedal, not a handle?

Comment

Correct. I'd be surprised if anything but the Cobalt has a handle actually.

Comment

Working...
                              X