Roof rack and sunroof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack and sunroof

I am looking into putting a roof rack on my G6, either Thule or Yakima. I have a sunroof though and was wondering if it will still be usable with the rack in place? Anyone put a roof rack on or any ideas? Thanks.
    You're doing it all wrong...you gotta cup the balls, relax the jaw...

Re: Roof rack and sunroof

Good question.... as both the Pano's and the Regular sunroofs both pop up and stick out..
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

yea i dont have pano just the regular sunroof. i know it wont open when there's a bike/skis/etc on top, but when there isnt it would just be the "towers" or "feet" and crossbars (which could be taken off, but would be easier to just leave on). so i guess i just wanted to know if there would be clearance with the bars on.

Comment

think you would need the measurements from the rack to see where that would be in relation to the cross bars which maybe adjustable or fixed depending on the rack

Comment

Somebody had a roof rack. Don't think they had a sunroof though.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

i've decided to go with the Yakima setup. i'll post some pics once it comes in and i get it installed for those interested in seeing a roof rack on the G6..

Comment

That name sounds farmiliar. Maybe that's what they had.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Just remember that when you're not using it you should remove your roof rack. It might be a pain-in-the-ass to do this, but if you're only using it occasionally, then you don't have to worry if your sun roof opens or not.

Originally posted by Consumer Reports
                Roof racks are a drag. Most cars are reasonably streamlined, but you work against their slipperiness if you carry things on the roof. A loaded roof rack can decrease an SUV's fuel efficiency by 5 percent, and that of a more aerodynamic car by 15 percent or more. Even driving with empty ski racks wastes gas.
                Take Care,
                GraniteGrey
                Trust me, I'm a professional!

Comment

viewtopic.php?t=10685&highlight=skii+rack
                  Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                  Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                  WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I dont think you lose much as far as aerodynamics. There is a fairing that runs across the front to reduce noise (and also allows the wind to move over the rack like a sunroof wind deflector). I think if you leave on the actual mount that will hold whatever you are carrying that will cause a decrease; however the mounts are easy to take off especially compared to trying to remove the base towers.

I now have all the parts so I'm installing everything this weekend. Pics will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
                      http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=10685&highlight=skii+rack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
                      I knew I remebered that. Yeah, he had to drill holes though.

Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                      X