Is Dexron VI an additive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Dexron VI an additive?

I took my car (2006 GTP) in for a transmission flush. I told them the manual specifies Dexron VI. After they are finished, I asked them if they used Dexron VI. The guy shows me an additive bottle that claims to 'convert to Dexron VI level'. I'm concerned at this point and tell him that the manual says only to use Dexron VI and the wording struck me as a fluid type/name not an additive. He says he doesn't know what Dexron VI is. Now I'm very worried. So I got the receipt and his statement to bring it back if there are any problems. I drove home and didn't notice any problems.

Do I have a problem?

I did call the stealership before going elsewhere. The stealership quoted me $570 for the "30,000 mile service". I wish I was joking.

Re: Is Dexron VI an additive?

Dexron VI is the type of fluid. ive never heard of something that converts to levels. if your cars says use Dexron VI it needs Dexron VI

i would go back there and raise absolute hell about getting it flushed correctly and make sure that you get them to pay for not only flushing it right but for any problems that may occur

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
    Originally posted by snowmanG6
    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article0 ... ?x=b11,0,w

What I got out of this is that Dexron VI is a standard for transmission fluid and also the name of a new trans fluid that GM has released. So it's possible that something could be added to bring an existing fluid "up to the level" but I think unlikely that it works as well as the actauly fluid from GM. I would take it back and get them to pay for it myself.
      2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
      Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

Dextron VI or AF6 is a SYNTHETIC transmission fluid we HAVE to you that on cars at my shop or it cxan screw the tranny up. that ONLY people that have it available is the dealer and MOBIL 1 makes it. we use the MOBIL1 at my shop and i have flushed my trans twice with it and have never had a problem

trust me on this coming from a mechanic myself, there is no additive that will convert whatever base trans fluid they used into what the specs are for DEXTRON VI. get it taken care of.

get a notre from the dealer if you would like b4 you go back and raise hell, cuz GM will say that nothing else covers it
        its might just be a family sedan, but girls love this car

Comment

raise hell get the dextron VI but back in it. i had the mechanics that was works on the truck i drive for work try telling me there was an additive for differential fluid. to make it differential fluid out of normal motor oil

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

I had to go to Auto Zone and buy a case of Dexron VI, but it's now in my car. I only drove 13 miles on the Dexron III with additive. The tech was very cool about it, though the store manager tried to tell me that it was fine to keep the other stuff in my car. I stood behind the tech to watch the process. I think I made him nervous, though I tried to be cool about it and not irate. He ended up spilling about 1 or 2 quarts of the 12 I brought, so about 10 to 10.5 went into the transmission. The main manager bugged out while he was working on my car.

Comment

BTW, thanks for the fast responses, guys!

Comment

Good to know if I ever need it changed that some places might try this...

Thanks for the heads-up and good job in getting it fixed!
                "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Working...
                X