Rotors Warping Part Deux..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotors Warping Part Deux..

clipy do dads? are you talking about the washer-like things?

Most people tend to stand on the brakes till the car comes to a complete stop, then hold the brakes till its time to move again.

This won't garranty that the rotors won't warp, but pumping the brakes, rather than standing on them keeps them cooler. Also when the car comes to a complete stop, don't hold the brakes on the same spot
    of the rotors. These keeps that spot of the rotor hotter which almost aways cause them to warp. Let the car roll a bit, so that pads don't rest on the same spot. I usually will put the car in neutral and keep my foot off the brakes when ever possible. Like I said this won't garranty that they won't warp, but it definitely makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R
      Most people tend to stand on the brakes till the car comes to a complete stop, then hold the brakes till its time to move again.

This won't garranty that the rotors won't warp, but pumping the brakes, rather than standing on them keeps them cooler. Also when the car comes to a complete stop, don't hold the brakes on the same spot
      of the rotors. These keeps that spot of the rotor hotter which almost aways cause them to warp. Let the car roll a bit, so that pads don't rest on the same spot. I usually will put the car in neutral and keep my foot off the brakes when ever possible. Like I said this won't garranty that they won't warp, but it definitely makes a big difference.
      I dont stand on the brakes. Actually, I typically slide over to manual mode (When Im not having to stomp on the brakes because of some retard) and drop it down a few gears before actually hitting the brakes....

I love standard shifts, however in Austin traffic, its just not realistic. Especially when you drive 100'ish miles per day.

So anyway, yea...no standing on the brakes unless Im cut off...

Looking at new ones...cringing at the price, because I could use that $150 (to replace all 4) elsewhere on my car....especially when you consider that I KNOW with the luck I have....as SOON as I get new ones...they will come out with the cross drilled
      Originally posted by Kman
      'Ghetto Booty' + Jules = My, My ,My

Comment

yeah i use my 6MT to slow myself down as much as possible. not really to save the brakes, but i have a manual so i am gonna use it :P my clutch will probably go before my brakes haha.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
          yeah i use my 6MT to slow myself down as much as possible. not really to save the brakes, but i have a manual so i am gonna use it :P my clutch will probably go before my brakes haha.
          As sad as it sounds....from the amount of crap Im seeing about the G6 brakes, thats probably false....

That and the fact that I havent seen any posts on problems with the clutch...

I *REALLY* dont want to replace them until I get the ones I want, damnit.

Comment

Originally posted by moonsketcher
            as SOON as I get new ones...they will come out with the cross drilled
            Dimpled/slotted is the way to go. Stay away from drilled. Drilled rotors tend to crack, and that's far worse than warping.

Comment

i agree with simplyred:

if you turn them, expect to have them warp sooner.
              getting them turned (and not doing most of the work yourself) will cost at least half as much as a decent set of replacements from a good manufacturer. I'm only at 2k miles, but if mine warp as soon as everyone else's and they won't fix it at the dealership, i'll get a set of better ones.

and you don't have to get slotted if you're not a speed demon but still have problems. brembo and baer (as well as others) make nice OEM non slotted, non cross drilled brakes and don't charge an arm and a leg. you just have to look.

(and in case anyone was wondering: never get ceramic pads unless you race- they don't work till you heat them up and keep them hot.)
              Stock '06 G6 GT Coupe.

Comment

They rotors don't warp technically, it's the vary of the thickness throughout the rotor due to the gases released and extreme pressure that wears away at it. You can get them turned, which will solve it for a little while. Or you can get some powerslot slotted rotors and be done with it, they're out now and they are among the best out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                  They rotors don't warp technically, it's the vary of the thickness throughout the rotor due to the gases released and extreme pressure that wears away at it. You can get them turned, which will solve it for a little while. Or you can get some powerslot slotted rotors and be done with it, they're out now and they are among the best out there.
                  Linkage, would be great

Comment

http://www.powerslot.com/pages/slot_app_pontiac.html

Google FTW

Comment

Originally posted by moonsketcher
                      Originally posted by Interfire
                      Linkage, would be great

There you go

Comment

they're brake rotors with slots in them....they all look the same lol.

Comment

they're brake rotors with slots in them....they all look the same lol.
                          yes, but Ive never seen them...thats why I was looking for links

Only ever seen the cross drilled...

I wasnt big into cars prior to getting my G6. To be honest, every time someone brought up working on a car, I wanted to hang myself.

The list of my hubbie's car is as follows:

72 Charger
                          74 Road Runner
                          72 Chevelle SS
                          87 Daytona Shelby Z
                          92 Camaro

Kind of got tired of hearing about them, then I got the G6 and now I cant stop THINKING about freakin cars....

So I have to have pictures in most cases

Comment

haha nice, my dad is big into buying cars but not working on them lol. 70 Chevelle SS #s matching, 67 Chevelle SS, had a 99 vette but sold it for a 50th anniversary vette...those are the only ones he has now that are worth mentioning. i think that is where i get my love for chevy muscle

and there are pictures on PS website too, not that it matters now anyway.

http://www.powerslot.com/pages/power_slot.html
                            Ah, I didnt click enough...

I have some pictures of the "Children" around...I'll post them later in a different thread...so Tom doesnt hunt me down for thread hijacking tonight...

Comment

I leave talking about rotors, come back hearing vibrators?

Is that warped too?

Comment

Working...
                              X