How To- Install HIDs in Fogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To- Install HIDs in Fogs

alright so i looked and didnt see one unless i just over looked it, so here is a how to on the install for fog lights and HID kits

1. Open hood
    2. Take out Headlights - how to here is one = viewtopic.php?f=29&t=18195

3. Twist out old bulb
    4. Mount ballast, i mounted the passenger side on on the metal framing below/beside the intake hole

You have to drill a hole to mount the ballast, i also recommend using double sided tape to help hold it too.

5. Install bulb and hook up wires for passenger side. This of course will vary with kit so you are on your own for that. I recommend test fitting the light before hooking wires up, i had to sand down some of the clips so it fit without breaking one off.

6. Mount driver side ballast. I actually couldnt find a good spot on the driver side, there was to many things in the way (horn/washer fluid/etc). However i did find this nice handy hole for it right behind the headlight.

i put the wires facing the front of car and it slide right in the hole. it would not go the other way but i guess you could try. it fits nice and snug and isnt going anywhere, so i didnt use a single thing to hold it in place, just let it sit in there.

7. repeat step 5 for driver side
    8. TEST TO MAKE SURE BULBS ARE WORKING!!!!!
    9. zip tie the wires up to the factory ones. this will keep them from laying where water might get to them and off the bottom plastic pieces.
    10. Reinstall headights.
    11. close hood
    12. enjoy your new light output

ALSO:

for those that dont have the extra black box for relays, you could just mount your ballast in that spot. see first picture for what im talking about.

any questions just ask and hope this helps some people out in the future

Re: How To- Install HIDs in Fogs

Awesome, I'll be doing this in the next few weeks so it will be a great help
    2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
    Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

thanks so much I was just looking for a how to on this cause I wanted to do my fogs and headlights within the next week after I get my bumper painted
      So what I'M A NEWBIE

Comment

I have a Q related the HIDs and not the install if I may.

I will be doing lows and fogs next month hopefully. Is it wise to m ake sure that if I have the fogs on to NOT use the high beams anymore?

My thinking is thus: when we turn on our highs the fogs shut off. And Im thinking since HIDs are ignited, that would not be healthy to do, since some times depending on traffic on this one road I take all the way home from work, I sometimes have turn my highs off and on several times as I do not want to blind oncoming cars.

I would imagine igniting them, shutting them amd re-igniting them a few times would bad for the HIDs.

Hopefully this Q makes sense.

AJ
        De-Badged, Tinted Tails 3rd Brake Light
        Custom Painted Interior, Engine/Battery Covers
        Custom Intake, Racingline MM, Black Upper Grills
        My next mod: Figuring out how to turn my 6 into a place to live since ill be homeless come Feb

Comment

Originally posted by ajnjennsg6
          I have a Q related the HIDs and not the install if I may.

I will be doing lows and fogs next month hopefully. Is it wise to m ake sure that if I have the fogs on to NOT use the high beams anymore?

My thinking is thus: when we turn on our highs the fogs shut off. And Im thinking since HIDs are ignited, that would not be healthy to do, since some times depending on traffic on this one road I take all the way home from work, I sometimes have turn my highs off and on several times as I do not want to blind oncoming cars.

I would imagine igniting them, shutting them amd re-igniting them a few times would bad for the HIDs.

Hopefully this Q makes sense.

AJ
          Do you have HID highs already? the on-off-on-off-on thing will wear out any bulb faster, the power needed to make the hids fire on is why most people remove the DRL fuse when they install lows. Chances are when you get the hid's in your lows, you won't need to use the highs anymore :P

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
          Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

personally, once i installed HIDs in my lows i never used my highs again. because they basically just covered what my lows did then

i dont think you will need your highs

ALSO:

for those that dont have the extra black box for relays, you could just mount your ballast in that spot. see first picture for what im talking about.

Comment

great how-to!!!
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by bluegtp33
                personally, once i installed HIDs in my lows i never used my highs again. because they basically just covered what my lows did then

i dont think you will need your highs
                EXACTLY, the HID's in your lows and fogs are going to just blow away your highs anways. You will never need your highs against with HID's in the lows.
                TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I know this is a massive thread revive but are there any pictures that are upto date, because these are gone from the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by BADBOYJIM View Post
                    I know this is a massive thread revive but are there any pictures that are upto date, because these are gone from the forum?
                    do you REALLY need pics? Its VERY simple..

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

idk we shale see on Wed lol. U would be surprised with me lol

Comment

you put the bulb in the socket.. you plug the ballast into the bulb.. you plug the stock wiring harness into the ballast.. mount the ballast.. test.. DONE

easypeasylemonsqueezy

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

I just did my Fogs and Low beams with DDM HID's if you have any question, please ask. I've done mine custom though, in the sense of the wiring harness with 4 independent relay's and large gauge wiring. The harness from DDM tuning sucks ba**lz.

Ask and I will do my best to answer, if you need screen shot I can take some for your reference.

One of the electrician at my job doing the custom wiring.

Performance: WAMS, K&N 69 Series CAI, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust built with a Camaro SS Muffler and Glasspack with 4 inch double-wall stainless steel tips, Thunderbolt 8.2mm High-Performance Spark Plug Wires, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plugs, Pennzoil Ultra Full Synthetic, Resonator Delete, Racingline Motor Mount Inserts, Racingline Grounding kit. (4 additional grounds from battery to front bumper for DDM tuning HIDS)

Handling: Moog Front Control Arms and Toe Ends, Racingline STB, Koni Yellow "4 Point" Suspension -Front to Rear- , Energy Suspension Poly Front Sway Bar bushings, Energy Suspension Tie-rod bushings, Energy Suspension Front Control Arm replacement mounts, Eibach Pro-kit springs, BMD Front Endlinks, Genuine Saab .9mm Rear Chamber Shims, 19mm Motorsports spacers on all 4 tires.

Stopping: Cobalt SS Front Brembo's, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted Front Rotors, R1Concepts Premium Cross-slotted and Drilled rear Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid, BMD Steel Braided Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires.

Appearance: Revotec Eagle Eye CCFL Projectors, Red Calibers, 6000k 35w DDM fogs, 6000k 55w DDM lows, LED Taillights, DDM Tuning LED Switchback Turn Signals, Konig Crown 17x7.5 Rims. 30% tint in front windows, rear windows @ 15% tint

Safety & Security: Cobra XRS 9470 Radar Detector, Experimental 2mm rear mounted camera with Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, GOSHERS Universal Blind Spot Detection System w/ LED Indicators, Waze GPS App with a windshield mount for early warning for police coupled with Radar Detector (double-whammy).

Experimental: BG 44k, BG MOA, BG ATC, Custom Transmission Cooler, Super Secret Flux-capacitor transporter, Header reflective wrap, CAI 2000 degree radiant reflective wrap.

Progression: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22823

Comment

Originally posted by deathmage View Post
                            I just did my Fogs and Low beams with DDM HID's if you have any question, please ask. I've done mine custom though, in the sense of the wiring harness with 4 independent relay's and large gauge wiring. The harness from DDM tuning sucks ba**lz.

Ask and I will do my best to answer, if you need screen shot I can take some for your reference.

One of the electrician at my job doing the custom wiring.

What size bulb did you get for your highs for the Silvana?

Comment

Working...
                            X