GT-R Exhaust System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT-R Exhaust System

Well I've had mine for about a month now, so I thought I’d write up a review.

Product Name: GT-R Catback Exhaust
    Price: 499USD
    Specs: 2.5 Inch SS Mandrel bent piping, Magnaflow dual outlet muffler, 4 inch high shine stainless steel tips.

Product: I'll start by saying... perfect, every little bit of this system was well thought out and no corners cut, from the bends to the clamps everything was of high quality. I had absolutely no issues with the install everything fit perfectly and fit like a dream.
    Product Rating (1-10): 10!

Customer Service: The customer service was outstanding, GT-R sent me routine updates on the progress of my system and even a pic or 2.
    Customer Service Rating: 10!

If you’re looking for an aftermarket exhaust system, I highly recommend it.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Jordie, I really appreciate the great review. We really worked hard to get the very best system out. That's why I delayed it. I wanted to make sure it was 100% right before the first one went out. Too many aftermarket companies put their products out before really testing them, thus leaving it for the consumer to figure out. I know, I've been on the consumer end many times., and it aint no fun. This system is second to none. Alot of experience and testing went into to the making of this system. Not only for fitment and for performance gain, but for a true sportscar sound.

-SAM-

Comment

First off just let me tell you I don't know a whole lot about exhaust but why aren't there 2 mufflers? Wouldn't 2 give you more sound? And the other day I got a Quote from a custom exhaust guy, 500 buck for all the parts and installation. The system would be from the resonator back. There would be 2 MagnaFlow mufflers in back and a round MagnaFlow muffler in place of the resonator. The tips will be 4" polished SS (MagnaFlow) and the piping is aluminized.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
        First off just let me tell you I don't know a whole lot about exhaust but why aren't there 2 mufflers? Wouldn't 2 give you more sound? And the other day I got a Quote from a custom exhaust guy, 500 buck for all the parts and installation. The system would be from the resonator back. There would be 2 MagnaFlow mufflers in back and a round MagnaFlow muffler in place of the resonator. The tips will be 4" polished SS (MagnaFlow) and the piping is aluminized.
        I'll answer what I can and let Sam fill in/correct the rest.

The muffler for the GT-R system flows MORE than enough for the G6, up to about 350 HP I belive he had said. As for sound, not sure, maybe deeper with two, but not likely much of a noticable difference. The quote you got was likely crush bent aluminized piping. The GT-R system is mandrel bent stainless steel. The mandrel bends are much better for exhaust flow/performance.
        2006 G6 GTP Coupe
        :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
        :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
        :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

i agree that mandrel bent is a much better setup. and from what i have heard usually a single muffler gives a louder, more crisp sound than dual mufflers. typically dual mufflers are only used on true dual exhaust applications.

Comment

Kyle (G6 performance) and bristol16 got it right. BTW, the Magnaflow muffler I'm using cost about the same as 2 of their regular mufflers. Setting cost issues aside, two mufflers gave the car a totally different sound. We were trying to achieve the sound of an expensive sports car, and we did just that. Secondly, adding more mufflers and pipes just adds more weight to the car, and does absolutely nothing for performance.
            Also, aluminum piping is cheaper than stainless. I don't know what tips the others use, but the tips I use are super high quality dual walled stainless.

Ed, you might be happier with 2 mufflers, if so, give them a try.

Comment

oooh...the added weight, although it might be minimal, is a very good point. i didn't even think of that. good call.

Comment

Yeah for you guys that are trying to shoot down aluminized piping.. in a G6's case you don't need stainless because you are not going to be pushing a lot of heat or exhaust flow... it is more for semi's and diesel trucks because they push all that heat... aluminized will work the same and will last just as long as long as you take care of it... like by not running through ditches ect. Plus the stainless with discolor unlike the aluminized it won't discolor like the stainless will. And for the GT-R man. Yeah he is might be able to hook me up with some nice 11 shell mufflers. They should give it a little better sound. I am kind of going for more of a muscle car sound. Ha-ha my brother has a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang totally restored and he has some of the loudest exhaust ever it is awesome. This same custom guy did his so I think I will be satisfied. Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

you do realize that you V6 will never sound like a V8...right?

Comment

Also I see you are talking about "The mandrel bends are much better for exhaust flow/performance." This guy does only the finest work... he takes a piping and bends it in his shop to fit perfectly... so its just the same

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                      you do realize that you V6 will never sound like a V8...right?
                      Pffft hahahaha Yes I know that. I was just saying I wanted something more along the lines of that then a sports car. By the way NO V6 could come close to being as loud as his mustang.

Comment

just making sure...it sounded like you wanted a muscle car note out of this thing.

Comment

Yeah... i dunno more like a TA sound or something like that.... To tell you the truth I was going to the a 1969 Judge GTO but then... my mom wouldn't let me haha she saw all the problems like oil leaks ect. that my brother had so she made me buy new.. or else I would be on my own insurence plan and no garage space for me... So I was like fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                            Also I see you are talking about "The mandrel bends are much better for exhaust flow/performance." This guy does only the finest work... he takes a piping and bends it in his shop to fit perfectly... so its just the same

Incorrect.

Those are "crush bend", not mandrel bend. Mandrel bends retain a PERFECT diameter through the bend as where regular bends that ALL exhaust shops do (there is no exhauset shop that has a mandrel bender as mandrel angles and corners are pre bought and tig welded to the pipe) are crushed around a jig using hydraulic pressure to create a "Bend", but the radius is FAR from a perfect diameter.. more like an oval.

As far as your comparison to aluminized and stainless..

Incorrect

You are saving on cost becuase Aluminzed Steel is subject to internal rusting, poor exhaust resonance, and rusting at welds. Stainless is completly opposite of this, where you get this "Exhaust Temperature" BS is beyond me.

As far as your "Muscle Car Sound"

Got Replacement cams, headers, huge over bore, and a nice carb set up? You want it to sound liek a T/A )Thats V6 T/A), chop the muffler off and put in a pipe. Will sound just like it, search for my exhaust video on my old G6 GT.

Why is it everyone who does exhaust systems on a V6 car are trying to go for a V8 sound? It doesn't happen, ever!

Straight up Pimp Trollin'
                            2006 Silver MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring Sedan
                            w/ Real Working BOV Action!!!11!

"Zoom Zoom + 6psi Bitches!"

Comment

Coupe dont forget the heat dicipation of the stainless too. They cool faster and run hotter as to help burn off the carbon buildup which the aluminum, which is around 1.75 at the bends, will end up being less than 1.5 with the buildup after a few years. I have the GTR system and love it. I have the prototype system and I have all the segmented pieces on mine from the origional design. Sam sent this system back and forth to the bender many times. Just so you know he lives in Dallas and he still had to send it clear across the country. I am sure your "top notch " exhaust guy is great but even he will admit that manderal bent is better and stainless is better. If he doesn't admit that then he is just trying to make a sale. He knows. If you don't care about the performance gains and are just looking for a little noise just get the cheap system, there is nothing wrong with that. If you want to get the very best there could be for our caes then sams system is the way to go. Trust me I have met him in person and he knows his vehicles. He has one of the nicest home car shops I have ever seen. Not to mention some bad ass calloway vettes and zr1's and yeah. I am pretty sure he did the exhaust systems on those too. One of the vettes is good for over 200mph. Which he did the mods to it and trust me he didn't use aluminum piping.
                              Originally posted by Nikki
                              You are an e-pimp.
                              Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                              I tried too, my penis way too big
                              07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                              My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                              The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

Working...
                              X