Nitrogen instead of Air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen instead of Air?

I'm thinking about swinging down to the local tire store and getting Nitrogen put in my tires instead of air, what do you guys think? It's supposed to increase MPG due to the lack of change in tire pressures. It's only 7.50 a tire which isn't bad at all for a simple mod.

http://www.getnitrogen.org/ <---- Has some nice information on this too..

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
    Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Re: Nitrogen instead of Air?

I think we had this thread before but just my personal opinion, your going to spend $30 on air. Is the MPG difference really going to even out to that $30 spent. On top of that, 78% of our environment is Nitrogen anyway, 21 % oxygen and .x% some other shit. Not something I'd do but its your car man, if you want to do it go for it. I'd be interested to see the outcome and results.
    Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
    I <3 Cody.

No homo.
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

I can't remember the exact values, but I read in consumer reports that it's not worth it. They did a test where they put normal air in a set of tires, and nitrogen in a set and tested them in different conditions after a year or something and the Nitrogen tires had retained slightly higher pressure, but nothing to be amazed at. They said if its free then go ahead, it is a notch better, but at 7.50 a pop, I say find yourself a free pump.

As long as you check your pressure every once in a while(which you should if you love your baby ) then your tires should be fine.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Comment

Originally posted by determined419
        I think we had this thread before but just my personal opinion, your going to spend $30 on air. Is the MPG difference really going to even out to that $30 spent. On top of that, 78% of our environment is Nitrogen anyway, 21 % oxygen and .x% some other shit. Not something I'd do but its your car man, if you want to do it go for it. I'd be interested to see the outcome and results.
        Yeah, there have been "snippets" of information about this, it seems as though the people who have it, like it but they claim they wouldn't pay to get it done.

20% Tint, Cross-Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Red Painted Calipers, 6000k H.I.D., LED Interior Lights, Carbon Fiber GM Interior, 18" SenDel S26 rims, Volant CAI.
        Wish List: Homelink, Black Sabersport projector headlights

Comment

Here...I found it. Have a look:

Originally posted by Consumer Reports
          Bottom line: Overall, consumers can use nitrogen and might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention provided, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks.

2008 Member Of The Year-Blue Man Group | Stock Radio Mp3/Ipod Input Installation

Comment

i run nitrogen in my tires. personally i love it but thats just me....that and I get them filled for free lol.

Comment

Originally posted by HotG6GTP
              i run nitrogen in my tires. personally i love it but thats just me....that and I get them filled for free lol.
              Me too!

turbo G6
              GA gt

Pontiact STL meet

V6

Comment

I run nitrogen in my tires not for MPG reasons. When the tires heat up, unlike air, nitrogen does not expand, so i keep a constant tire pressure. Also i've noticed that i dont have to refill my tires at all

Comment

my dad does it at his work, so i'm getting him to do mine there....i just always forget
                  2007 G6 2.4L VVT Ecotec- Black Sedan
                  Appearance: Tinted Tails, 15% Tint, Black Calipers, Black Overlays and Eyelids, Black Painted Upper Grills, Blacked out door trim, Flowmaster exhaust tip, G5 GT Wheels, Red Interior LEDs, Red LED Dome, removed front plate, added oem fogs
                  Performance: WAMS 93 ECU and TCM tune, Injen CAI, and Racingline STB
                  Future plans: Red LED Trunk Wiring, Black headlights, exhaust, black rims, eibach springs

Comment

Its useless... just check your tire pressure every now and then.
                    2007 Dark Gray Metallic G6 Sedan 3.5L v6 A4
                    Former cars... '85 Camaro, '94 Camaro, '00 Camaro, '92 Mustang GT

Comment

For $7.50 per tire...i'll stick to my TPS reports...
                      "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                      ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                      SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by LordKOTL
                        For $7.50 per tire...i'll stick to my TPS reports...
                        Yeah... about those TPS reports, see we're putting these new cover sheets on ALL of our TPS reports now. I'll get you a copy of the memo.

Sorry I couldn't resist. But on topic ya i wouldn't pay for it, a lot of tire shops around here will do it for free when you buy tires from them.

Comment

dont pay for it
                          mine has nitrogen only cause its free at work. we laugh everytime we have to fill a set. the joke is that we've successfuly marketed air

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                          Originally posted by snowmanG6
                          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

I didnt even know that nitrogen was an option when it comes to filling your tires.... Im gonna get mine filled with helium... less friction on the road, way better mpg
                            2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

All gasses expand under heat, nitrogen filled tires expand less. Nothing too noticeable of to worry about.

I would spend my money somewhere else..... for that price, I would buy a KN panel air filter or stiffer sway bar bushings or syth oil change

I can fill my tires with N2 for free in my local Costco

Comment

Working...
                              X