Scratch Issue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch Issue..

I've been a lurk for awhile,but figure i'd post my issue to see if there were any suggestions.

Awhile back, my stupid half asleep ass was parking at work, and mis-judged a rock, and backed into it. No dent, just some nice damn scratches. For the life of me, I have tried to wax/buff/scratch remover you name it to get it out, but they are pretty deep. The dealer says since it's a plastic bumper ( 06 Silver G6coupe GT) there's no way to get them out without replacing the bumper?

I'm not pleased, and am looking for any suggestions on where to go from here. I can take/post pictures of said scratches when I get home. THanks!

Yeah, take the pictures and some of the people here will be able to give you some good advice.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

did you use a real buffer on it?

if not try that first, then try applying touchup paint in layers until it is above the factorty paint, then wet sand it to flush and wash and wax that spot good...should be good after that

Comment

Bad pic, but all i could find while at work. If you zoom in you can see some of them...

Comment

I can't see it very well, but from this picture, it looks like you need to have the bumper painted. I don't see why it would need to be replaced unless you gouged the plastic. Even a crappy body shop should be able to fix the bumper if you gouged it. Then it'd need to be repainted.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

yea they could just throw some filler in there, sand it smooth, and spray away. It's just a bumper.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
              yea they could just throw some filler in there, sand it smooth, and spray away. It's just a bumper.
              But sometimes it is cheaper to buy a bumper new from some part sites and have it painted.
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

if you dont care if the color is off a little, I agree with Mike, but if you do care and want it right, I agree with Simplyred.
                2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                Gotta have it Green color
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack
                GT500 track pack differential cover
                BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Hmm. Yea you'd have to get some quotes on that from different shops. You'd think just touching up that one spot with some filler and then blending the paint into the surrounding area would cost less than a new bumper + prep/paint + installation.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Here's some close up pics of it

http://www.dubyateeeff.com/wtf/Scratch%20001.jpg

http://www.dubyateeeff.com/wtf/Scratch%20002.jpg

http://www.dubyateeeff.com/wtf/Scratch%20003.jpg

Thanks guys.

Comment

^moderator can erase the last picture post haha.. just a taaaaaad 2 big

Here yah go

Originally posted by Toyz
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

How deep are they when you feel them with your fingernail? I don't think they will all come out, but try some Meguiars Scratch X and rub it in really good. Might surprise you.

Comment

If you can't get those scratches out with buffing, you might want to check this out...
                          Do a google search in your area for 'bumper repair'. There are companies like Colors On Parade and Bumper Express, etc. that are able to fuse the plastic on bumper covers and then paint it. Some of these guys even go mobile and will do the repair on your own garage for no additional charge.
                          I had a Maxima several years back that I did EXACTLY what you did with rock, only mine was cracked as well as scratched. Went to 3 body shops who all wanted to replace the bumper cover and paint it for 5-700 bucks. Then I found a Colors On Parade place local to me, and they were able to do what they called plastic welding on the bumper, did an exact paint match, and had it ready in about 6 hours for $250. It looked great, completely undetectable even two years after the repair.
                          SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                          Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                          CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                          Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Indian_G6
                            If you can't get those scratches out with buffing, you might want to check this out...
                            Do a google search in your area for 'bumper repair'. There are companies like Colors On Parade and Bumper Express, etc. that are able to fuse the plastic on bumper covers and then paint it. Some of these guys even go mobile and will do the repair on your own garage for no additional charge.
                            I had a Maxima several years back that I did EXACTLY what you did with rock, only mine was cracked as well as scratched. Went to 3 body shops who all wanted to replace the bumper cover and paint it for 5-700 bucks. Then I found a Colors On Parade place local to me, and they were able to do what they called plastic welding on the bumper, did an exact paint match, and had it ready in about 6 hours for $250. It looked great, completely undetectable even two years after the repair.

This would be ideal. I bought the Meguire's scratch remover and it didn't do much to help it at all this past weekend. I'll see what mighty google has to offer on this, and thanks for the heads up!

Comment

dang I have the Same Problem but with my front Bumper a Metal Box came out and got me. I got alot of it cleared up.. but alot still lingers.

Some of that is Bug Gooo.. lol Bu you can see where it got my Front Plate and the went out to the side and around.

Comment

Working...
                              X