Some numbers on the new Shelby GT500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some numbers on the new Shelby GT500

The new Mustang ShelbyGT500 is coming out this summer, and some motor magazines have finally been posting some numbers. To be honest, I'm not at all impressed. Considering the engine is supercharged, Ford could have done a lot better. Cars like the GTO, Corvette, and Charger all use naturally aspirated engines, and they're just about as fast or faster as this Ford. Here's some info from Automobile magazine:

Price (base/as tested): $41,950/$45,000est.
    Engine: Supercharged & Intercooled 5.4L DOHC 32-valve V8
    Power: 500hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque: 480lb/ft @ 4500 rpm
    Peak Boost: 9.0 psi
    Redline: 6250 rpm
    0-60mph: 4.9 sec
    0-100mph: 10.4 sec
    1/4 mile: 13.1 sec @ 115 mph
    Weight: 3893 lbs
    Weight dist f/r: 57.8/42.2%

Now here's some contrasting numbers according to Motor Trend:

0-60mph: 4.5 sec
    0-100mph: 9.6 sec
    1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 116 mph
    Curb Weight: 3944 lbs

They also compared this with the GTO and Charger:
    Pontiac GTO--------------------------------------
    Price: $32,685
    0-60mph: 4.7 sec
    1/4 mile: 13.3 @ 105.9mph

Charger SRT-8----------------------------------
    Price: $35,995
    0-60mph: 5.0 sec
    1/4 mile: 13.5 @ 106.3mph

Just for fun, I thought I'd throw in some Corvette '05 numbers:
    Price: $44,250 (base)
    Power: 400hp @ 6000 rpm
    Torque: 400lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
    0-60mph: 4.3 sec
    1/4 mile: 12.7 @ 112.3mph
    Weight: 3267 lbs

So, do you think this new Shelby GT500 is really worth it? Because I don't. Ford delivered a practical vehicle that still can't compete with the corvette, and I doubt it ever will.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

yeah but it comes down to the old ford vs chevy deal that he been around since 1954 1/2 or whenever that thing came out. the ford guys will always like the mustang and bash the vette and vice versa. personally i would rather have the vette but i can see where the mustang has some appeal.

i don't understand why they supercharged it and still went with such low numbers, but my guess would be price and just to try and brag that it is supercharged.

Comment

I never thought there was much of a mustang vs. vette thing. It used to be Mustang vs. Firebird/Camaro.

I'd never buy a Mustang if I could get a Vette for the same price. I'm sorry, a Mustang is not a world class car. A Vette is!

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
        I never thought there was much of a mustang vs. vette thing. It used to be Mustang vs. Firebird/Camaro.

I'd never buy a Mustang if I could get a Vette for the same price. I'm sorry, a Mustang is not a world class car. A Vette is!
        Yeah, and I'm a Ford fan. But I will always say that if I had to choose between a Stang and a Camaro... I'd get the Camaro. Fords engines (even though they make good numbers) seem sluggish at best. There are exceptions... but few and far between.
        Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

I had a spin in a 2003 Mach1 the other day. It was damned fun! The only problem with it was that someone else took me out in a 2002 Trans Am just before it. The Mustang had no chance to take my heart away from the Trans Am. lol.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
            i don't understand why they supercharged it and still went with such low numbers, but my guess would be price and just to try and brag that it is supercharged.
            I wouldn't want to brag that I have a supercharged engine that's making the same numbers as engines that aren't.
            -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000

the camaro and mustang were in the same class, but when it comes down to GMs best vs. Fords best they always throw the mustang in against the vette and all the ford kids seem to like the mustang. at least that is what i have found.

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
              I wouldn't want to brag that I have a supercharged engine that's making the same numbers as engines that aren't.
              well i'm pretty sure they don't brag about putting up worse numbers

Comment

I am very dissapointed with the GT500. First off it is a pig weighing in at around 3900lbs. Second, the styling is just ok. And the price is a joke, the sticker may be $45,000 but I have heard that with dealer mark up the price will be closer to around $60k. The Vette is a badass car. I would take it any day over the Mustang. Besides the fact that the Vette is about 700lbs lighter, it is light years ahead in terms of technology. It has a far superior motor and suspension/ chasis.

Mustang vs Vette? If you have to ask, you dont deserve to drive either.

The only way the the Mustang is on the same level as the Vette is in terms of brand loyalty and history. When most people think of American Muscle they think of the Corvette and the Mustang.
                2001 Black Mustang GT Vert (Auto)

Comment

the C6 is definately way ahead in terms of technology....it took one of the techs where i work 5 minutes to figure out how to start one of them . their keyless ignition system is cool as hell though, i would love to have one for each of my cars.

Comment

I've always seen the mustang as somewhat of a ricer car too. You never see 17 year olds driving corvettes. But all those racerboys in their mustangs are everywhere.
                    -Mike #1

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                      I've always seen the mustang as somewhat of a ricer car too. You never see 17 year olds driving corvettes. But all those racerboys in their mustangs are everywhere.
                      I live in a rich area, and yeah I've seen 16-17 yr. olds driving Vettes... a lot but just cuz daddy gave it to them.
                      Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

around here daddys give their kids BMWs.
                        -Mike #1

Comment

When I think of a corvette vs a mustang, the first thing i think of is regardless of what they do in a straight line, you will have a very, very difficult time convincing me that the mustang has anything close to the handling capabilities of the vette. I'll take the corvette hands down.

dang, 3900 pounds? thats a lead sled for sure. even the goat is "only" 3725
                          Originally posted by colinpeddle
                          They'll begin missing us soon. Once all the threads stay on topic thru 14 pages... oh they'll miss us, our wit and our insane ability to wander off topic so effortlessly. Some day, a g5er will stop and say

Go tell the G6ers, passerby,
                          That here, by G6er law, we lie
                          Stranger, tell the G6ers that we behaved as they would wish us to, and are buried here.
                          THIS IS G6PERFORMANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KJHLKAJDHLKJHLKAAHHHHHHHHHHHH<- battle cry.

Comment

Working...
                          X