X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cable throttle conversion 3900...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac ... dZViewItem

http://wot-tech.com/shop/3500/3900-vvt/ ... od_62.html

so.... how many ecu problems would i have if i attempted this conversion? the drive by wire shit annoys me to no end, it's unadjustable and even if your pedal is in the exact same spot the throttle may not be open the same as a previous time, it makes launching harder than it should be

my guess is noone has done this (did a quick search and nothing came up) and it was probably due not to the problems of putting it on, but the problems of taking the drive by wire off...

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Re: cable throttle conversion 3900...?

the one on wottec is for cars swapping the engine into an older car. i tink you ECM might not like it./

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
    TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
    Show
    -20% tint
    -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
    -Professionally heated seats

Comment

Can we mod the stock TB to use a cable?

In that way, we retain the servo,sensor (TPS) and cruise control. We can force the plate movement via cable.

Comment

been thinking about it for the past couple hours and i cant think of any way to do it without the ecu crying... stupid drive by wire though... imagine if it malfunctioned and just opened the throttle all the way when you're sitting there at a light...?

Comment

throw it in neutral, shut off the car and and you'd be fine ......................... as long as you weren't already out in the intersection
          Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
          I <3 Cody.

No homo.
          Originally posted by ahuhn
          i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

yeah... atleast i would be sitting in nuetral, or atleast have the clutch in... all it would do to MT guys is rev at us... if you're in drive in an AT car...you're in trouble

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
              Can we mod the stock TB to use a cable?

In that way, we retain the servo,sensor (TPS) and cruise control. We can force the plate movement via cable.
              I suspect it could be done, but as always, it all comes down to how much money it would take to MAKE the conversion.

If one COULD mod the TB for DBC, as has been said, you would then likely have to see if the ECM and/or TCM could be reprogrammed - perhaps by vector if he knows how to do it - to recognize and work with the new setup.

I don't know if there are other, perhaps older, variations of the 3900 that are cable throttle, and if there are, I don't know if you could possibly just obtain a TB and associated parts from said engine and do a direct bolt-on. If it exists, and if it can be done, though, it's always possible that could solve half your equation.

Originally posted by SmartGTP
              imagine if it malfunctioned and just opened the throttle all the way when you're sitting there at a light...?
              Honestly, I don't know the likelihood of that happening. Certainly with a manual trans though, if it DID happen, you'd have the clutch disengaged while idling so your engine would blow, but at least you wouldn't get thrown into the intersection. Us auto trans owners, though, we'd have to be able to think and react fast enough to get it into N or turn the key off - before becoming a pontiac sandwich.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

There are no older versions of the 3900. The G6 was the first car that used it.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                  There are no older versions of the 3900. The G6 was the first car that used it.
                  Now, IIRC, didn't someone say the 3900 is "based" off the 3400?

If so, does that mean SOME parts might be interchangeable? I know, at least, it's probably bored and stroked more, but I wonder if other areas are unchanged, such as the TB?
                  2009 PONTIAC G8
                  MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

It's in the 60degree v6 family, but I've never read anything by GM that says it's based on the 3400. That said, I think some of the guys who have looked at it more closely have said that it is.

I know that if they had told me that it was based on the 3400 when I was in the market, I wouldn't be driving a G6.

sigpic
                    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

But what if we cut the servo connections so that the ECU loose control of the plate completely while the TPS still "sensing"?

We will require some ECU/TCU magic to fool the ECU so it ignores servo activation completely
                      Even so, I would rather prefer to have both systems. I dont like the ECU to think for me in terms of pedal position, in that case, I would be fighting the ECU via cable.

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                        I know that if they had told me that it was based on the 3400 when I was in the market, I wouldn't be driving a G6.
                        I'm not 100% sure, but I think my dad's old grand am had a 3400. If so, I don't remember anything that stood out as bad about it, but I do know from recent vehicles that have used the 3400 that it is a flop in terms of fuel economy.
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I dont know, that will be a project. The 3900 is an all new desing. The 05-06 3500 was based off of the 3400. The new 07+ 3500 is based off of the 3900. Thats why GM can phase out the 3900 after 3yrs because the money put into R&D is still being used in the 3500 VVT.

If you can converted, you will lose cruise control.
                          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                          Gotta have it Green color
                          Brembo brake package
                          420 HP 5.0L
                          Ford Racing Power Pack
                          GT500 track pack differential cover
                          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by determined419
                            throw it in neutral, shut off the car and and you'd be fine ......................... as long as you weren't already out in the intersection

they have fail safes to try to prevent that from happening. if the ECU detects problems it tends to "kill" engine power to the point it takes 5-10 seconds to get to 10 MPH

about the conversion im sure its possible anythings possible but theres got to be a TON of computer fooling that would have to happen

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                            Originally posted by snowmanG6
                            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
                            X