X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN CANADIANS: GTO NOW LEGAL TO OWN IN CANADA

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releas...8/08-h158e.htm
    GOVERNMENT OF CANADA HARMONIZES BUMPER STANDARD
    OTTAWA — A new federal regulation took effect on June 25, 2008, that improves the design of bumpers on Canadian passenger cars by harmonizing the Canadian car test speed requirements with those already established in North American and European markets. By updating the Canadian bumper standard, the Government of Canada is ensuring that:

new internationally consistent pedestrian safety requirements can be introduced;
    design and manufacturing costs can be reduced for Canadian manufacturers; and
    consumers are provided with more choice while maintaining road safety.
    "This amendment will offer more choice to Canadians who wish to import vehicles, while maintaining the safety of Canadian roads," said the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. "It will also improve Canada's international competitiveness by lowering development and testing costs."

Although the amended bumper standard will facilitate importation, before buying a vehicle in the U.S., Canadians should check with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) about the rules and process for importing vehicles (http://www.riv.ca).

Harmonization of the bumper standard is consistent with the spirit of the Canada-U.S. Security and Prosperity Partnership to reduce regulatory differences and facilitate international trade while maintaining high levels of safety.

While the provincial and territorial governments have jurisdiction for road use and after-market additions to motor vehicles, Transport Canada develops safety standards and regulations for new vehicles and vehicles imported for use in Canada.

The amendment was initially published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, on March 22, 2008, after which Canadians had 30 days to review and respond to it. The final amendment was published on June 25, 2008, in the Canada Gazette, Part II.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Re: ATTN CANADIANS: GTO NOW LEGAL TO OWN IN CANADA

There goes Tom's G6......
    Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
    Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
    WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

It's on!

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
      Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon
        There goes Tom's G6......
        If I see a decently priced one somewhere, I'll be looking into the costs of importing it.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Good move economically. But I am not so sure about the Canadian government lowering its safety standard to match that of the US just to facilitate trade.

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
            If I see a decently priced one somewhere, I'll be looking into the costs of importing it.
            Let me know once you do all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
              Originally posted by TLS2000
              Let me know once you do all that.
              I'm not actively doing it, but it's a much cheaper option than buying a new G8 GT. I'm currently still trying to pay my parents some money that I owe them, and then I'm going to be saving up for a condo.

BTW, we can now also import such vehicles as the 2008 G8, which wasn't legal to do a month ago, as well as the older Lancer Evo's if anyone cares to know.

Basically, any vehicle that was illegal due to bumper standards is now legal here. There are still vehicles that can't be imported, such as some GM cars that continued to have automatic seatbelts in the US after they were outlawed here.

sigpic

Comment

THis is great news....but theres a big long line of brand new g8's sitting at the dealership now.
                2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Comment

Yup, but a 2 year old GTO can be had for $20,000. A new G8 GT is going for about $40,000.

sigpic

Comment

same here on the g8s... they're lined up at every pontiac dealership...

but if you couldnt get an evo before, i would be so tempted now... up in the land of snow i couldnt resist having an awd rally car

Fusion Orange Metallic Owner? Click!

Comment

The new EVO is street legal, even before the changes to our rules.

That said, I've never had a reason to drive AWD.

sigpic

Comment

It would probably cost $3,000-$5,000 to bring it across the border. I think that's about the range I've heard from people who were bringing Escalades, Navigators, etc. across a while ago.

Comment

GST on a $20,000 GTO would be $1,000. I don't know what other fees there are.

sigpic

Comment

Freight (unless you drive it across yourself), and I think you need an inspection done as well which is probably only a couple hundred bucks, max. Not sure what the other fees would be either. Most of the people I talked to had a dealer bring it across so that's probably most of the cost right there.

Comment

$200 fee from RIV

Out of province inspection by Alberta

Any modifications that must be made to make it legal (daytime running lamps for instance). You need a certificate from the manufacturer saying that there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle and they may charge for that.

Duty if it's the GTO. After all, it came from Australia.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X