Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chipping

Hi everyone

Been lurking for some time and I finally decided to start contributing.

I have an issue with my car - in my region the local authorities put tons of sand and gravel on the roads in the winter. It turns out the design of the G6 coupe's lower body panels is such that all the spray from the road hits the rocker panels just in front of the rear tires. This has resulted in the paint in that region becoming badly chipped.

I added mudflaps last week - hopefully this stops the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas on how to clean up the chipping, beside a new paint job?

You could always get some touchup paint, apply it in several layers and get some 1500 grit sandpaper to level the fill. Then use a polish to rub out the haze.

But other than that, nothing you can really do about it. You could get some 3M Armor and get a shop to apply it to the lower panels. The mud flaps should help some but getting chips are inevitable.

Comment

you said the paint was chipping in front of the tires....but aren't the mud flaps behind the tires?

Comment

I realize some chipping is inevitable...but:

That's not dirt. Well, mostly it's not dirt (my car needs a wash). Notice the line between the chips and the edge of the wheel well - the sheetmetal is flat there so the sand does not hit it, resulting in a clean line between chipped paint and undamaged paint. This is after 20,000 km.

The spray is from the front tires, hitting the car in front of the back tires, so I hope mudflaps help.

Has anybody else experienced this? It seems wierd that nobody on these forums has had this problem.

Comment

we've talked about this before. There's an old thread about it somewhere. I had that problem too...I thought the paint was chipping, but I just took some car wax and rubbed it on really hard, and it took most of those white spots off.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Found the thread - thanks! I'll see if waxing and buffing will take it out.

Comment

oooh...i see now that you did say in front of the rear tires in your first post. my bad, i missread it. that makes much more sense! and yeah i would think that the mud flaps would help keeps the stuff from being kicked up there.

Comment

Oh okay that makes more sense, yeah that looks like some debris or whatever.

Use a clay bar, or some polish and see what will come out.

Comment

Re: Paint chipping

Originally posted by jnak
                  Hi everyone

Been lurking for some time and I finally decided to start contributing.

I have an issue with my car - in my region the local authorities put tons of sand and gravel on the roads in the winter. It turns out the design of the G6 coupe's lower body panels is such that all the spray from the road hits the rocker panels just in front of the rear tires. This has resulted in the paint in that region becoming badly chipped.

I added mudflaps last week - hopefully this stops the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this? Any ideas on how to clean up the chipping, beside a new paint job?
                  I have exactly the same problem. I tried to remove them with a clay bar, without success.

I wanted to find out if adding the mud flaps has helped, since your original post?

My salesman at the dealership had the same issue with a Solstice and he went with a 3m style of film protector.

Any comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
                  Black GTP, 6-speed
                  Ottawa, Ontario
                  Go Sens!!!

Comment

Wow, I have one that is only a couple days old. Anyone have suggestions where to get the film or the mud gards? Dealership?

I want to avoid this like the plague.

Help appreciated.

Jeff
                    My 07 G6 Convertible
                    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
                    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

The waxing helped a little - it's not as noticeable on the paint. I am not sure if the mudflaps have helped or not. It hasn't seemed to get any worse, but it's summer and there's no sand or gravel on the roads.

I got my mudflaps installed at the dealer. They did a shitty job.

Comment

Try some polish if clay didn't work, if it isn't the actual paint chipping then it will come out.

Comment

which mudflaps did you get?

anyone have pics with the mudflaps on?

I'm wondering how they look.

Thanks,
                          Jeff
                          My 07 G6 Convertible
                          http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
                          http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

I've got the molded splash guards...

there are some pictures of mine in this thread http://g6performance.com/forum/viewt...ghlight=molded
                            Originally posted by TLS2000
                            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

^ his look better than mine. I just have generic black plastic ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X