F40 Issue treatment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 Issue treatment.

I want to start off by saying THIS IS NOT A CURE!

As some of you know I swapped out my tranny fluid with Royal Purple Max Gear 70W90 full synthetic, it’s their GL-4 replacement. Right off the bat I noticed smoother shifting but I still had the frequent grinding problem. After about 1000KM (600Miles) I’ve noticed that frequency of the grinding has reduced about 70% and the harshness of the grinding has also reduced. I'll continue to monitor it and let you know if it gets better/worse.

It was 40 dollars well spent, ideally I would like GM fix the heart of the problem but I don’t see that happening any time soon so I took it into my own hands. I would recommend anyone with a F40 shifting problems or not switch to a full synthetic.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

All I can say bud is:

HowTo section is where I'd finish this one. I have done major engine work before on the Grand Am (as you know, since you helped me), but I have never touched a tranny before. Where's the drain plug/fill plug. How do you flush it?

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
      All I can say bud is:

HowTo section is where I'd finish this one. I have done major engine work before on the Grand Am (as you know, since you helped me), but I have never touched a tranny before. Where's the drain plug/fill plug. How do you flush it?
      I'll do it tomorrow lol
      2009 Panther Black G8 GT
      334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

You'd better! I'll buy the synthetic fluid tomorrow (I'm gonna go with Mobil 1).

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
          You'd better! I'll buy the synthetic fluid tomorrow (I'm gonna go with Mobil 1).
          Remeber to ask for their GL-4 Replacment! it should be a 70W80 or 70W90.

HOW TO http://www.g6performance.com/forum/view ... 6769#46769
          2009 Panther Black G8 GT
          334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

so has anybody put in the GL-4 synthetic replacement and it made it worse? i changed the fluid on my '99 jeep 5 speed once because i just figured it was time and it was starting to get a little slip into some of the gears, a week after i changed the fluid (and it was the exact type of fluid recommended) i was in the shop having $1000 in tranny work done because the grinding got so bad.
            Im just curious and i'd like to put the RP synthetic in my 6speed just for kicks but i dont want it to get worse.
            also, you used Max Gear and not the Synchromax? I dont really understand what the difference is between them.

thanks
            '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Slippage usually is caused by the clutch, not the type of fluid you have. Once gears are meshed, they are meshed. I believe this fuild exchanged being posted is to help the gears mesh. IE...syncro's spinning better.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

sorry by 'slipping' i didnt mean the clutch i meant the synchros were not meshing the gears so i guess i shoulda said grinding. i guess i could just find some clean containers lyin around and put the stock fluid in there and if the synthetic doesnt work i could just put it back in...
                '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

Originally posted by G6cpM6
                  sorry by 'slipping' i didnt mean the clutch i meant the synchros were not meshing the gears so i guess i shoulda said grinding. i guess i could just find some clean containers lyin around and put the stock fluid in there and if the synthetic doesnt work i could just put it back in...
                  Don't put old back in. If you take it out, leave it out. It's not That expensive. Especially when you consider the cost of a rebuild.
                  G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                  Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                  Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                  20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

yeah good call. oh well i guess im gonna go for it and just see what happens.
                    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

GM Synchromesh Fluid

Has anyone tried GM Synchromesh Fluid? Is it an acceptable replacement for the 6MT?
                      2006 G6 GTP. Mods: Painted headlights, System: Kenwood KFC-XW1202DVC 12" subwoofer, Kenwood Excelon KAC-X10D Mono subwoofer amplifier. Coming soon: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit

Comment

Re: F40 Issue treatment.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to pass on some info that may be helpful.

Since the GM transmission is a synchromesh design (GM fluid is "synchromesh") the best RP product would be their Syncromax vs the gear lube. I believe the difference is the friction modifier "package".

I recently put this into our 2003 S-10 with phenominal results.
                        The synchronizers were starting to stick. Going from forward to reverse sometimes would not be able to get into gear. I would have to "double clutch" to get the sychros to align.
                        2nd to 3rd shift would also sometimes balk.

The Syncromax is expensive (I think around $18.00 per quart)

But the transmission shifts better than new now. Smooth gear changes, reduced effort, and no more synchro problems.

I have talked to multiple people who have used this on domestic and imports with similar results.
                        Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                        -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i just fixed the shifiting issue on my g6 gtp 6speed..i recently did gear oil..that didnt help much...then yesterday i checked my clutch fluid reservoir and noticed that the fluid in there was black as hell...bled the system and put new fluid and shifts smooth..no more harsh second and third!

Comment

how do you bleed the clutch fluid? I need to do this...
                            sigpic
                            MY PROGRESSION:
                            http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20385

Mods: Classic Performance Exhaust, WAMS 93 Octane tune, Crab Intake, and a whole lot more...

Comment

Working...
                            X