This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight reduction mods?

i have never used the A/C in my car. last time someone tried to turn on the A/C and roll up the windows, i smacked their hand, then their face. i know you can take out the A/C unit for better gas milage, more WHP, and less weight. Ive heard it weighs 100 lbs and adds +5ish WHP
    so just wonderin.
    1. How much does it really weigh? i doubt 100 lbs but thats y im askin
    2. how would i go about getting it out?
    3. Has anyone done this?
    Packers Record: 4-4
    Steelers Record: 5-2
    Cyclones Record: bad
    High School STATE QUARTERFINALS!!

Re: Weight reduction mods?

The BCM would have a fit if it was removed I'd bet and throw codes left and right. Someone here I know took the A/C belt off for the track once but didn't actually remove the unit itself.
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Actually anything above about 55 ish, you actually get slightly better gas mileage using the air vs w/ the windows down since you are creating more drag with them down.
      Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
      I <3 Cody.

No homo.
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

i would bet it ways maybe 15 lbs if even that

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
        Originally posted by snowmanG6
        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

there are other places in our cars to reduce weight before going to the extreme of removing the AC.

One overlooked area are the carpets and OEM sound deadener. You can easily shave lbs by removing sound deadener and using thinner carpet without insulation.

Not recommended for street use!

Also, all the power options adds weight. So, remove that power seat, Moonson sound, power windows and locks, etc

Dunno if leather seats weight more than cloth....

Comment

if im going more than 55 mph im usually in 6th gear gettin about 30 mpg anyway. and i would rather have +5 WHP than +slight mpg
            plus im a straight man and despise air conditioning in cars
            and to woodbury man- would i need a new belt? and could i easily put the belt back on for that horrible day when i need to sell the 6?

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
              there are other places in our cars to reduce weight before going to the extreme of removing the AC.

One overlooked area are the carpets and OEM sound deadener. You can easily shave lbs by removing sound deadener and using thinner carpet without insulation.

Also, all the power options adds weight. So, remove that power seat, Moonson sound, power windows and locks, etc

i would like to have all of those things. i would rather NOT have A/C

Comment

to each his own but I don't see what you being straight has to do with air conditioning. I'm a straight male also but I love my A/C and not sweating each day when its 90 and humid on my 50 mile drive to work, doesn't make me gay.

But as far as losing weight, I'd go for it if you're trying to go straight for power and WHP!
                Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
                I <3 Cody.

No homo.
                i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

Funny, I was reading that list and a picture flashed in my head:
                  I guy goes through all that with his car and he walks up with a double shake, two double cheeze burbers, a supper dupper fry and a bag of dognuts and he weighs in at 300 lbs. and says I can't seem to find anywhere else to make this thing lighter

Official Member of The O.H.M. Group
                  It takes years to become a member of this elite group

Comment

Originally posted by Moonshadow

Funny, I was reading that list and a picture flashed in my head:
                    I guy goes through all that with his car and he walks up with a double shake, two double cheeze burbers, a supper dupper fry and a bag of dognuts and he weighs in at 300 lbs. and says I can't seem to find anywhere else to make this thing lighter
                    thats definately not me. im 160 lbs. but yea ive seen that guy drivin a 98 civic. i think its kinda funny too

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarMentality
                      if im going more than 55 mph im usually in 6th gear gettin about 30 mpg anyway. and i would rather have +5 WHP than +slight mpg
                      plus im a straight man and despise air conditioning in cars
                      and to woodbury man- would i need a new belt? and could i easily put the belt back on for that horrible day when i need to sell the 6?

if you remove the compressor first off you would need to find a shop to remove the freon from the system b4 you disconect it. not doing that could equal a very very large fine. then yes you would need a different belt or you could just install a pully where the compressor used to be
                      imo its just easier to leave the AC installed and just dont use it since it doesnt take away HP if its not engaged

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                      Originally posted by snowmanG6
                      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by determined419
                        to each his own but I don't see what you being straight has to do with air conditioning. I'm a straight male also but I love my A/C and not sweating each day when its 90 and humid on my 50 mile drive to work, doesn't make me gay.

But as far as losing weight, I'd go for it if you're trying to go straight for power and WHP!
                        I was like???....being straight???
                        Glad you brought that up, I was afraid to go down that road

Official Member of The O.H.M. Group
                        It takes years to become a member of this elite group

Comment

The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

i guess using a/c means ur gay but when its 100+ outside i like to use the a/c. sh!t i turn my A/C on when it gets above 78. the nights dont cool down to much around here either, we still see bout 75-82 at night, and during the day any were between 95-115. i hate the heat. perfect temp for me is between 65-75.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
                            so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Put in milk crates for seats. And bike tires for wheels and rims.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                              Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Working...
                              X