Panoramic Sunroof Pics Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panoramic Sunroof Pics Needed

I have been working on my panoramic sunroof (adjusting the panels to reduce wind) and I still get a little bit of air leaking. I was wondering if those who have a panoramic sunroof with minimal noise could snap off some pics so I could see the gaps between each panel and the gaps between the front/back panel and body.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Re: Panoramic Sunroof Pics Needed

I just had mine worked on at the dealer. So much wind, and even the tiniest bump made the whole roof rattle. They ended up having to drop the whole headliner, and re-torquing every part of the entire mecahnisim. Took them 8 hours to do it.

I just went to try and snap some photos for you, but my flippin camera wouldnt work, so now it is i pieces on the ground. I'll try one of the other cameras later, allthough someone will beat me too it i am sure.

If it is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. There are a number of TSB's on the pano roofs. Just a suggestion.

AJ
    De-Badged, Tinted Tails 3rd Brake Light
    Custom Painted Interior, Engine/Battery Covers
    Custom Intake, Racingline MM, Black Upper Grills
    My next mod: Figuring out how to turn my 6 into a place to live since ill be homeless come Feb

Comment

I took would just take it to the dealer. Mine is going in within a couple of weeks for some tightening also. here is a file i had on my computer about the fix:

Subject: Advance Service Info - General Guide to Panoramic Sunroof Noise Issues #05-08-67-014A - (03/03/2006)
      Models: 2005-2006 Pontiac G6
      Number 05-08-67-014 (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
      Condition #1
      Some customers may comment on an itch type noise occurring over bumps. The noise comes from the front area of headliner at the corners where headliner meets the sunroof module, over the driver’s and/or front passenger’s head area.
      Cause

The headliner may rub on a pair of plastic screw boss holes (empty/no screws in these bosses) that are part of the sunroof module on each side of the module towards the front.
      Correction

For vehicles built prior to May 9, 2005, partially lower the front of the headliner enough to access this area, being careful not to bend or damage the headliner while performing the following procedure. Install a 102 mm X 102 mm (4 in X 4 in) felt/flocking tape* patch to the backside of the headliner, just under the pair of plastic screw boss holes (empty/no screws in these bosses) that are part of the sunroof module on each side of the module (driver/passenger) towards the front. Then reinstall the headliner.
      *The felt/flocking tape, BSR P/N KT13296, can be purchased from Kent Automotive by calling 1-800-654-6333 (in Canada, 1-800-563-1717).
      Condition #2
      Some customers may comment on a plastic/metal itch and/or crack/snap type noise that occurs while driving over bumps. This noise comes from across the front edge of the sunroof module. The noise may also sound like it is coming from side or center of the roof as well.
      Cause
      This condition may be caused by the module mounting bolt/fastener (roof interaction with the fastener).
      Correction

1. Install 14 Mylar washers to the mounting bolts/fasteners (obtained from the Warranty Parts Center). Drop the headliner enough to access these attachments, being careful not to bend or damage the headliner while performing the following procedure. Loosen all front 4 module mounting bolts. Verify that the screws are not engaged into the roof.

2. Install four (4) Mylar washers (obtained from the Warranty Parts Center) onto each of the four compensators.
      3. On the two outboard compensators only, spin the tolerance compensator screw to raise the tolerance compensator barrel to its fully deployed position prior to engagement into the clinch nut in the roof. Fasten the two outboard tolerance compensators to the roof assembly by hand (Torque specification 9 N•m/80 lb in).
      Figure1

Figure 2

4. Install ten (10) Mylar washers - two to A, C, D, F. Refer to Figure 1. Install one washer to B and E, between the compensator and the roof. Refer to Figure 2. Follow the procedure below.

Important: To prevent the sunroof from dropping, loosen one corner at a time following the procedure listed below. Do not over tighten the mounting bolts.
      Starting with A, remove the TORX screw from the center of the 19mm nut. Discard the small retaining spring holding the TORX screw to the 19mm nut. Insert a Mylar washer in between the TORX screw and the 19mm nut and one above the 19mm nut between the height adjuster and the body. Retighten the TORX screw into the body to 10 N•m (89 lb in). Refer to the sequence below.
      • Loosen A. Refer to the illustration above.
      • Loosen B.
      • Install two washers to A and one to B.
      • Tighten A .
      • Loosen C.
      • Install two washers to C.
      • Tighten C and B.
      • Repeat for D, E and F.
      5. Prior to fastening the two center tolerance compensators, turn the screw to lower the barrel to its lowest position. Before fastening, get out of the vehicle and observe the main seal to body contact. If the seal appears to have good engagement to the roof, proceed with tightening the center two tolerance compensators screws (Torque specification 9 N•m/80 lb in). If the seal appears to be pulled away from the body, prior to fastening the two center screws, press firmly up on the black rail between the two screws as you tighten the screws. This will improve the seal contact along the front edge.
      6. Cycle the roof to the full open and closed positions. Measure the glass gap between the first and second panel. Glass gap specification is 3.5 mm to 5.5 mm (0.14 in to 0.22 in). If the glass gap is not within this specification, adjust the wind deflector glass panel #1 to achieve this specification. DO NOT adjust the second glass panel at this time. Recycle and re-measure the gap to achieve the correct specification.
      7. Measure the front wind deflector glass panel to body on both sides of the vehicle. The front edge of the wind deflector panel should be flush to -2 mm (-0.79 in) below the body. The rear edge of the wind deflector glass panel height to the second glass panel should be flush to 1 mm (0.040 in) above the second glass panel. Adjust the wind deflector to meet the proper specifications if necessary.
      8. Perform the air leak blower test to verify that are no wind leaks in the system prior to reinstallation of the headliner.
      9. Verify that the flock tape is in place on the headliner or the roof module as described in Condition #1.
      10. Test drive the vehicle to confirm that all noises have been eliminated.
      11. Reinstall the headliner.

Condition #3
      Some customer may comment on wind noise from the front outside of the sunroof module at the leading edge and/or either corner of the seal to the metal roof.

Cause A
      Insufficient seal contact to the roof.

Cause B
      This condition may be caused by the roller and/or a puckered seal.

Correction A

Correct this condition by turning the four corner leveling nuts to 19 mm hex heads clockwise. This will tighten the module to the roof, creating a better module to roof seal.

Correction B
      Important: DO NOT order an entire module to obtain the seal.
      For vehicles built prior to April 28, 2005, replace the module seal with updated P/N 15291339 and adjust the front glass panel properly (refer to Sun Roof Window Alignment in SI).
      If the vehicle was built after April 28, 2005, the vehicle already has the updated module seal. Adjust the front panel properly (refer to Sun Roof Windows Alignment ).

Condition #4
      Customers may comment on a plastic/metal rattle type noise that occurs while driving over bumps. This noise usually comes from the rear of the sunroof module.

Cause
      This condition may be caused by loose mounting bolts/fasteners.

Correction

Important: Do not overtighten the mounting bolts.
      1. Partially lower the headliner enough to access these attachments, being careful to bend or damage the headliner while performing the following procedure. Loosen all (5) rear center mounting bolts and then re-tighten all (5) center mounting bolts at the rear of the module to 10 N•m(89 lb in). Note that the forward 3 mounting bolts are accessed by the holes in the sunshade when the sunshade is fully closed.
      Important: These screws should be snug. Do not over tighten the mounting bolts.
      2. Tighten both rear motor attachment screws (3 per motor/6 total) to 4 N•m(35 lb in).

3. Press the reinforcement upward while tightening the rear crossmember attachment screws (3 per side/6 total) to 4 N•m (35 lb in). Refer to the illustration above.
      4. Re-install the headliner.

Condition #5
      Some customers may comment on wind noise from the front outside of the vehicle from the glass panel area of the sunroof module. This condition could also be reported as a HVAC blower motor type noise that changes with fan speed.

Cause
      This condition may be caused by glass panel to panel adjustment and/or panel to module adjustment.

Correction
      Perform the blower test on the module to identify any leak area. Run a line of tape across the front of the module seal from vehicle side to side and from roof metal to first panel glass. If noise is eliminated, adjust the front glass panel properly (refer to Sun Roof Windows Alignment).
      If the noise is still present, continue to tape off the leading edge of the next glass section until the noise is gone, then adjust the panel(s) as necessary (refer to Sun Roof Windows Alignment). If needed, also refer to Sun Roof Window Seal Roll Repair.

Important: Keep in mind that some leakage is normal at the T-joints on this roof panel. There are small holes in the seal at the T- joints. These are engineered allowances.

Condition #6
      After servicing the sunroof module, the sunshade does not cycle.

Cause
      This condition may be caused by an incorrect drive motor on the sunshade.

Correction

Since both these motor have different internal software, verify that the sunshade motor (passenger side motor) has a black case. (The white case motor is the glass drive motor [driver side motor]).

Condition #7
      Seal itch between glass panels.
      Apply GM Weatherstrip Lubricant, P/N 3634770, to the seal between each panel.
      2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
      Black/Black coupe

Comment

I definitely have condition number 4 and 7. However, will they bitch because I have adjusted the panels myself? Will this prevent me from being to have warranty work done on it?

I am planning on taking in my car in about 2 weeks and if they aren't going to complain, or have no right to complain, then I will have them work on that rattling and maybe even the wind noise. I've been getting a rattling on the driver's side just above the door and my steering wheel has been rattling as well, so I might have them work on the roof at the same time.

Comment

potentially, they could say u messed it up more beyond warrenty repair. if the car is still under warrenty, why not have the dealership do it for free?

Just take it in and reference the number for this gm fix, and maybe they will install the washers if they didn't already do that for the 2007s
          2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
          Black/Black coupe

Comment

if they wont fix it ill snap some pictures for ya

keep us informed

Comment

I got the wind noise knocked fairly well. For the past few months, however, I get a bit of a rattling noise when I have the roof open so I am going to have them take a look at that primarily. I think the wind noise is about as quiet as it is ever going to be, so I am not really too worried about it anymore. I really just want to make sure that I am not forcing the panels down too tight and causing other problems with other parts of the sunroof.

I am taking it in a couple of weeks so as soon as I find out something, I will let you guys know. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Just an update:

I took my car in a few weeks ago to get the sunroof, along with a few other parts, fixed. They had to order the typical parts to fix the creaking and stuff. I take it last Friday to have the new parts put on and they call me later and tell they are going to need to replace my sun shade because mine is broken. They said they ordered the part and it would be in here in 3-5 days. This was on July 25th.

I get a phone call today tell me that the sun shade is on back order at the manufacturer and that GM has none at all because the manufacturer no longer makes the part. GM has requested that if any dealerships have this part they need to send it to the GM and they will forward it to the dealership with my car. No one knows when I will get my car back because the dealer won't even put the sunroof back together until they get the part.

I'm a little bit irritated. I mean, I know they don't make the sunroof anymore, but they need to at least have parts available for it. I think I have decided that I will be getting a new car once mine is fixed. I'm not sure what I'm going to get, but since I only have 3,000 miles left on my warranty, I don't trust it enough to keep much longer after the warranty expires. Not sure what I am going to do right now, but I thought I would at least give you guys a heads up about the sun roof.

Comment

Still no car. Still no part. They still have no idea when the part is going to be available.

Comment

aNY UPDATES ON THIS TOPIC....CAN YOU GUYS STILL POST THE PICS AND SHOW WHERE THE WASHERS NEED TO GO AND WHICH BOLTS ARE THE ADJUSTING BOLTS IF POSSIBLE. tHNAKS
                    It's not what you've got in the car, it's what you can do with it!
                    K&N Filter
                    KENWOOD ie 6x9 & 6.5
                    FALKEN ZIEX 512 R17
                    R1Concepts E-Line Cross Drilled Front

Comment

They took care of my roof.

I didn't get my car back for two months, but I can say that GM stayed on top of it. They had a person from headquarters contact me every week to get and give updates on the situation. By the time it was all said and done, they extended the warranty on my sunroof, sun visors and anything attached to or adjacent to the sunroof or sunvisors for 5 years/100,000 miles, plus they paid for one of my car payments and set me up in a rental G6 the entire time.

Most of problems came them having to order a spring that coils the sunshade back. When they removed the sunshade, it uncoiled on them and they had to do a direct order from Italy which caused a huge delay. Once I got my car back, I had to take back an additional 2 times to the dealership to get the wind noise reduced. Each time it got worse. I finally took it to another dealership where they fixed it correctly (they have a tech trained on those sunroofs).

Anyway, in short, it's all fixed now and aside from a little I get when it's warm and I have the roof open (I'll be getting that fixed once spring arrives), there has been no problems at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X