Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping help

alright i need some assistance from this group

i have some people intersted in the painted headlights and i need to know the best shipping method.

i assume it is usps, based on prices, however i could be wrong.

also what is best way to ship it up there. as a gift with no value, or a gift with the correct value? will this hurt the customs fees?

thanks

Re: Shipping help

You're specifically referring to shipping to Canada and/or other countries, correct?

I would say shipping within the U.S. USPS is the best and easiest way to go. Short plain and simple, just package it well and they have quick delivery times, at least in my last few times shipping stuff out with them.

For Canada and other countries, use UPS or FedEx as they take care of brokerage fees and stuff for you I think. USPS is a nightmare with customs. A friend of my had a Palm held up in customs for 2 weeks and when he finally got a letter saying he needed to send them $, it was a like $75 brokerage fee for a $200 item. Nuts!
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

From past experience on shipping to canada... USPS is the cheapest and the least amount of hassle. As far as gift, no value status, that's a tough one. I've sent things as "gift" but you still have to declare a value. They normally won't let me send as a no value unless it contains documents. so i normally declare a dollar or two. I've told the post office in the past how do i declare a value for a piece of plastic that doesn't really go to anything? I've never gotten a straight answer to that. As far as I know the person on the other end hasn't gotten hit with any extra charges.

Oh a warning though... becareful on the size and weight of the box after a certain size and weight the price jumps up dramatically!

Comment

From a receiver's standpoint, USPS is usually cheapest in terms of customs fees. You can mark it as a gift or sample but that doesn't always work. Also I suspect claiming the wrong value would affect any insurance claim should the package be lost. You're probably just better off putting the right value on there, and warning your customers that they may be subject to customs fees upon receipt.

Don't use UPS.

Comment

yeh i knew the big companies were more expensive. woody is just

im just trying to keep the customs fees down on the canada members who want this done. keep the info coming and thanks

Comment

With car parts I think the customs fees are hit or miss. Maybe someone like Tom might know better, but I think because of NAFTA certain items can ship without duties to Canada (just Goods and Services Tax apply, which is our federal sales tax). I don't know how it all works but I have gotten items without customs fees before.

But Fedex and UPS will charge brokerage fees just to get the item through customs, while USPS/Canada Post doesn't (or if it does, it's a small amount)

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I got them mixed up then
              2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
              Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
              Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
              2005 CGM GTO.
              386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
              2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
                With car parts I think the customs fees are hit or miss. Maybe someone like Tom might know better, but I think because of NAFTA certain items can ship without duties to Canada (just Goods and Services Tax apply, which is our federal sales tax). I don't know how it all works but I have gotten items without customs fees before.

But Fedex and UPS will charge brokerage fees just to get the item through customs, while USPS/Canada Post doesn't (or if it does, it's a small amount)
                Totally correct, I just got a 12" sub shipped to me for 55$ and then I got hit with a 65$ fee from UPS. The USPS and the Canadian Mail Service (dunno what it's called) have an agreement where they don't charge brokerage fees to each other except for a small like 3 dollar handling charge.
                2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
                Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

USPS and others still charge you fees, I had to pay $15 or so to get my aeroforce gauges but if I had used UPS I would had to pay like $90. DHL works great for shipping to Canada also, and they actually have useful tracking info. Avoid UPS like the plague.

I love it how JP asks this in the Canada forum, and first 2 replies are from Americans. jk guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                    USPS and others still charge you fees, I had to pay $15 or so to get my aeroforce gauges but if I had used UPS I would had to pay like $90. DHL works great for shipping to Canada also, and they actually have useful tracking info. Avoid UPS like the plague.

I love it how JP asks this in the Canada forum, and first 2 replies are from Americans. jk guys.
                    Was the $15 actually fees or was it just GST?

Comment

Believe it was just fees, but they could classify it as gst. But it's listed under fees on my invoice though.

Comment

$15 isn't bad compared to UPS though...

Comment

I just bought an amp off ebay and the seller stated that his store covers the brokerage fees, so I'm excited to see how much I'm going to have to pay this time.
                          2007 Red Sedan "6" REPOSSESED
                          Looking for a 500$ Beater to be the home of my stereo system

Comment

You shoulda asked me.... I ship up there all the time.
                            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

I was told as long as the cost is under $60 and it is marked a gift or sample you should be ok. If the item is actually worth more and is lost you do screw yourself however have you ever tried to make a claim for a lost item....they pay you practically nothing anyway

On a side note...I am totally bummed - I want to get certain car seat covers and steering wheel wrap and things but they won't ship to Canada! Who lives in Buffalo that I can ship to and drop down and pick it up! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X