Underdash LED setup/installation assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underdash LED setup/installation assistance

I'm trying to install my LEDs for under my dash, but alas I am no mechanic and not the most savvy person when it comes to some things, so I'll but up the stuff that I need help with.

Ok, Here is a picture of 1 out of the 4 LEDs:

Questions:
    1. How do I access the fuse box for my radio, which is what they recommend I use?
    2. Is it ever necessary to disconnect the negative battery terminal or can I install my LEDs without dismantling half my car?
    3. They say use a metal bolt for the ground, however I am not aware of where any bolts would be that would be the closest. Where would the closest bolt be?
    4. Are 4 of these LEDs going to cover the driver side only or the driver and passenger sides?

Information that might be helpful to know:
    1. I have 4 LEDs
    2. I have 5 feet of extra red wire
    3. I have an on/off switch

Re: Underdash LED setup/installation assistance

I can't see the picture, but I can tell you where your fuse box is. Its on the passenger side behind the piece of plastic secured against the center console. You'll see the fuse logo on it. Its attached with super velcro.
    Current: Kicker L7 12" with Sundown Amp, DrS CAB, GT-R Exhaust, 93 VMS ECU, red LED interior, 20% tint all around, blinging wheels, Red Calipers, tinted tails, angel eyes, 8000k HIDs, Eibachs Pro Springs, MPD Hood, custom mounted front door speakers

August East Coast Meet Thread

Comment

Ok, I know where the fuse box is, and I see a removable panel on the driver side as well, so I think I can run wires and everything between the driver and passenger side all through that middle section, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, where is a good place for the ground? (the whole, unscrew the bolt and then rescrew it etc). I see one here:

However, I am not sure if that is unscrewable/if that is an acceptable ground/whatever.

Also, I would REALLY like to know if the negative battery terminal NEEDS to be unplugged or if it is possible not to have to deal with that. I also would like to know if it is unplugged, will it set off anything (alarm, disrupt mechanic/electrical stuff, send report through the diagnostic that gets sent to my e-mail, etc).

Comment

This should help you a lot:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15881
        Blue Man Group

Comment

Quick question. I have shrinking tube things, but my lighter I got isn't working, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if electrical tape would work as well. I mean, the point of the tube was to keep the wire connected and to the switch right? So, if I use electrical tape, it should work the same correct? Can anyone verify/say-no-to this?

Comment

This is why a 12-volt tester is a great thing to have. You can get one cheap at an auto parts store, and it will tell you if what you have is an acceptable ground and 12-volt source. You touch one end to the 12-volt source, and the other end to the ground/bolt, and if it lights up, it's a good ground or power source. Any metal bolt behind the radio should do. If you have an on-off switch, you can wire the positive wire to any 'live' wire, like the cigarette lighter wire for example. It sounds like they want you to use the radio wire so the lights turn on when your radio turns on, and turn off when you shut the radio off.
            -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

anyone have actual pics of this in the G6 ?

Comment

yes, disconnect the battery. if you short something out, it could be a disaster. take the extra minute to unhook the negative.

and don't use the radio fuse. it's not switched. unless you plan to turn the LEDs on with the car off, and will have an independent switch inline that won't accidentally leave on all night.
                2009 PONTIAC G8
                MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Working...
                X