15000 miles and already......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15000 miles and already......

Well im not exactly sure what it is yet but, i dropped the G6 off at the dealer tonight for tomorrow I had it at my buddies shop and we came to the conclusion it is either the inner tie-rod or something in the Rack n pinion. It began to clunk while turning the wheel (occasionally) but since i drive from pa to va every weekend and it got alot more consistant i decided i should take it in. So ill keep you all updated. Only 15,000 miles what a shame
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

damn that sucks. Usually if something's going to happen to a car it'll happen either in the first few thousand miles, or after the warranty has expired.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Aw man.. good luck with all that!!

really sucks!!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Re: 15000 miles and already......

Originally posted by Toyz
        Well im not exactly sure what it is yet but, i dropped the G6 off at the dealer tonight for tomorrow I had it at my buddies shop and we came to the conclusion it is either the inner tie-rod or something in the Rack n pinion. It began to clunk while turning the wheel (occasionally) but since i drive from pa to va every weekend and it got alot more consistant i decided i should take it in. So ill keep you all updated. Only 15,000 miles what a shame
        This is what warranties are for.
        2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
        Forge Motorsports BPV
        CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
        HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
        HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

What year is your G6 because according to a PI #PIC3747 that GM released last year, which I have because of my 2005 Bu Maxx LS which was totaled. It was something that was common in the 05 G6. This is what that report had to say...

Some Malibu/Maxx and G6s may experience a knock, clunk or rattle type noise at low speeds when there is a suspension input. The noise sounds like it's in the suspension on the left side of the vehicle. This noise will usually develop after 3000, to 5000 miles on the vehicle.

Note: The root cause has been determined and corrective action is in the validation process.

Recommendation/Instructions:
          Do NOT replace the intermediate shaft for this rattle clunk type noise. This is not the cause of the noise. The noise might be eliminated for a very short time (1 to 5 days) when the I shaft is replaced. The reason the noise has changed is because during replacement the of the I shaft, the steering system loading has been changed. The noise will return after the system readjusts to the new loading. When service parts are available to repair this clunk, knock noise, a service bulletin will be issued.

Note: At this time service parts are expected in the first quarter of 2006.
          Just mention it and see what they say... unless its a 06 than this is probably not the problem.

It started happening on my 05 bu around 15K miles not like the bulletin said but I had no doubt that that was the problem with my bu.
          Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

Thanks MalibuMaxx, i appreciate your post. I am looking forward to what the dealer has to say. And yes I have a 2005 G6 gt :smoke:
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Re: 15000 miles and already......

Originally posted by Toyz
              It began to clunk while turning the wheel (occasionally) but since i drive from pa to va every weekend and it got alot more consistant i decided i should take it in. So ill keep you all updated. Only 15,000 miles what a shame
              I had a problem like that very early on... I took it in and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft. That fixed the clunking.

Mikey

Comment

I have that also but not when turning, when I hit bumps or potholes going straight. I hear a clunk, like the sterring or suspension want to come out of the car. It sounds like my old Chevy Nova 79! I complained to the dealer about this and they said they could not do a thing to fix it. Thanks for that info MalibuMaxx. I'll try to find out more also.
                -Marc

2005 Granite Metallic GT sedan

Comment

Originally posted by MalibuMaxx
                  What year is your G6 because according to a PI #PIC3747 that GM released last year, which I have because of my 2005 Bu Maxx LS which was totaled. It was something that was common in the 05 G6. This is what that report had to say...

Some Malibu/Maxx and G6s may experience a knock, clunk or rattle type noise at low speeds when there is a suspension input. The noise sounds like it's in the suspension on the left side of the vehicle. This noise will usually develop after 3000, to 5000 miles on the vehicle.

Note: The root cause has been determined and corrective action is in the validation process.

Recommendation/Instructions:
                  Do NOT replace the intermediate shaft for this rattle clunk type noise. This is not the cause of the noise. The noise might be eliminated for a very short time (1 to 5 days) when the I shaft is replaced. The reason the noise has changed is because during replacement the of the I shaft, the steering system loading has been changed. The noise will return after the system readjusts to the new loading. When service parts are available to repair this clunk, knock noise, a service bulletin will be issued.

Note: At this time service parts are expected in the first quarter of 2006.
                  Just mention it and see what they say... unless its a 06 than this is probably not the problem.

It started happening on my 05 bu around 15K miles not like the bulletin said but I had no doubt that that was the problem with my bu.
                  Ding ding ding! Well i just received my phone call from the dealer and turns out you hit the nail on the head. So what he told me is technically there is nothing they can do now but loosen everything involved in the rack n pinion and retighten. Pontiac is aware of the problem and the fix is in Engineering right now and expects to have it out sometime in June. From what i was told this is not a safety issue and i can feel free to drive my G6 no different then i did before the noise started! So i am to call the first week in July to setup an appointment. If this thread is still around i will update in a little over a month :smoke:

Comment

no clunking yet here but i am def gonna keep my ears open now!
                    Mods so far...black arrow over lays. blue door sill over lays. painted intake and engine over..more to come

Comment

Glad I can be of service.
                      Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

is this the same problem as when i hit a series of small bumps in the road if seems as if something is loose in the suspension on the front left? or is this just steering?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                          is this the same problem as when i hit a series of small bumps in the road if seems as if something is loose in the suspension on the front left? or is this just steering?
                          Im not sure if both noises are tied together, but i am aware of the noise you are referring to.

Comment

If your going slow and you apply suspension input... I would believe that that is the same problem although I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MalibuMaxx
                              If your going slow and you apply suspension input...
                              That's exactly the problem I was having. I believe it was more pronounced when I accelerated slowly while turning to the left...

BTW, in spite of all the engineering that might be going on about this problem (not likely), after they replaced my intermediate steering shaft last December, everything has been quiet. (knock on wood)

Mikey

Comment

Working...
                              X