removing the strut bar thingy?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing the strut bar thingy?!?!

So I painted by engine cover last week, and really like how it looks... I was thinking for painting the battery cover this weekend... The more that I think about it tho, the more I want to paint the strut, or whatever its called (the brace thing the goes across the top of the engine bay at the very back) im pretty sure its called a strut... anyways i would want to remove it to paint it, so that I can get all sides and do a good job etc... is it okay to just remove it?? its not like a structural component or anything is it?? I feel like a retarded noob asking this, but I figured better safe than sorry. Thanks in advance for the help everyone...
    2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Re: removing the strut bar thingy?!?!

Yes you can remove it, it will not hurt anything to have it off. It stiffens up the handling a tad bit, that is all.

Comment

I do plan on putting it back on... just I'll have it off for the afternoon or what ever... so I can drive it with the strut off??
      2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Sure. Just don't go above 36 MPH.
        J/K!

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
        Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Yes.

Comment

36Mph, I thought that without the "strut tower bar" you could only go 27ish Mph. Oh ya, whatever you do, don't forget to put the nuts back on before you go for a drive. Your tires might fall off and you might drive over them. "More money"
            ALTERATIONS:

Full 2008 GXP Sport Edition Conversion, MPD hood, Crab 03/04, HSRK, chrome oil cap/door locks, WAMS 93 tune, tints, Kenwood DNX5120 dvd/nav, red led interior lighting, 05 leather seats, Impala Leather console lid, 3rd LED brake light, Custom trunk lid liner.

Comment

To clarify everything yes it's perfectly fine The G6's don't come with the strut bar tower from the factory, only a few of us have added it, it only helps make turns feel tighter.
              2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
              Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
              Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
              2005 CGM GTO.
              386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
              2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Poor guy is going to be freaking out when he drives now.
                Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Originally posted by earlbaer
                  Poor guy is going to be freaking out when he drives now.
                  your right, he better sell it to me asap just to be safe.

Comment

So you can leave your strut bar at home but don't forget to grab your nuts

Official Member of The O.H.M. Group
                    It takes years to become a member of this elite group

Comment

no, you can go faster than 36 as long as youre going in a straight line. its just that that bar connects to the axels and you wont be able to steer. if you want to drive it somewhere, i'd get it on a long, straight road before you take the strut off
                      Packers Record: 4-4
                      Steelers Record: 5-2
                      Cyclones Record: bad
                      High School STATE QUARTERFINALS!!

Comment

All bs aside...
                        You can drive without it, but please reinstall the nuts on the studs that you will remove to take the bar off before driving it again. Also, be careful, cause those studs are notorious for snapping when reinstalling the nuts. Just dont go crazy with the muscle/air that you put behind the tool when re-installing them. Other then that, you will be fine
                        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I'll ask the question that he probably needs to know also... What is the lbs of torque to put on those nuts?
                          My Car Domain
                          Vector 93 ECM/TCM Dyno tune, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 235/50/18 , RacingLine Motor Mounts & Strut Bar, R1 Premium drilled rotors, Custom Exhaust w/ 4" tips, Inchannel Rain Guards, Crabs CAB & Front Pipe Upgrade, GXP rear bumper, 15% Ceramic Tint, Blue Calipers, Blue Dart Overlays, Upper Window & Lower Grill Chrome, Side GTP Emblems, Chrome Door Locks, 8k HID Head & Fogs, Pioneer Head Unit, Rockford Door Speakers

Comment

Working...
                          X