Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please. Radio won't work and says "PHONE" on

Hello everyone.

I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 v6 with the stock standard radio with CD player.

I took the car for a wash and detail today and when I got it back, this is what is happening on my stereo:

-The display now says "PHONE" on it, and there is phone icon in the bottom left hand corner of the display.

- I hear a hissing sound coming out of the speakers...and I can adjust the volume to make the hissing go away. But I cannot turn the power on the stereo off. Even when the car is turned off, keys are removed from the ignition and alarm is activated....the stereo is powered up with the "PHONE" on the display. I left it for 5 hours today and it was still on when I got back.......

- the radio and CD player will not play music, and I can't switch from different sources...just the "PHONE" message stays on the display.

- I pulled the stereo fuse and the stereo did shut off...but as soon as I plugged it back in.....the stereo powered up and the "PHONE" message was back on again.

I've tried pushing all the power buttons on the stereo and the main console to no avail. I've also read the manual and can't find anything about this "Phone" setting.

Any thoughts on what this could be? I assume that the people detailing the inside of the car may have pushed various buttons while wiping down the console and caused this to happen....but is there a chance they could have knocked a switch or something somewhere else on the car that has caused this? Perhaps they got water somewhere and it's caused a short?

I hoping to solve this without having to take it to the dealership as I'm going on a 4 day road trip (I'm a sales rep) and would like to have the radio or cd player working so while I'm driving in the rural areas.

Worst case scenario is I'll pull the fuse so it doesn't kill the battery while the car is parked overnight.

Regards,
    Pacman
    mr_pacman@shaw.ca

Looks like something to do with OnStar. Does your car have it?
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ToniCipriani
      Looks like something to do with OnStar. Does your car have it?
      Hello,
      Thanks for the reply.

the car does not have OnStar.

Tonight, I checked on teh car and the radio had powered off.....I started up the car and the radio/cd player worked fine. After about 10 mins...the "PHONE" message came up again and it's now stuck on it.

I can't figure out what's going on.

Comment

Just for the hell of it disconnect the bat. They might have got some moisture in your deck and cooked something. If that doesn't work it looks like you will have to let the dealer take a look at it.
        Originally posted by Nikki
        You are an e-pimp.
        Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
        I tried too, my penis way too big
        07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
        My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
        The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

and complain to the detailer!!
          Originally posted by Toyz
          Originally posted by simplyred
          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

These new factory radios have an anti theft device built in. The radio has to communicate with the ECM for authenticity verification, meaning that it verifies that the unit belongs to that specific car. If this verifiction process is interupted, then the ECM shuts off the radio thinking it's a stolen unit belonging to another vehicle. If this is your problem, it's best to take it in, although I must admit, I'm not a big fan of taking the car to the dealer. But they have the software to correct this.

Comment

Just a thought, but are you using a cell phone with bluetooth where you can synch it with the radio and speakers in your car?

I dont, and I dont even know if the G6 can do this but I just though maybe since it says phone on it that might be what it is and it is stuck in that mode.

Not sure how you would get it to switch back if it was that anyway though. Best bet is call your local dealer.
              2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by GTP80
                Just a thought, but are you using a cell phone with bluetooth where you can synch it with the radio and speakers in your car?

I dont, and I dont even know if the G6 can do this but I just though maybe since it says phone on it that might be what it is and it is stuck in that mode.

Not sure how you would get it to switch back if it was that anyway though. Best bet is call your local dealer.

I dont think we have this capability. Although it would be really cool to have it.
                Black 06 G6 GTP Coupe--Strut Brace is all I have for now. More to come!

Comment

Originally posted by GT-R
                  These new factory radios have an anti theft device built in. The radio has to communicate with the ECM for authenticity verification, meaning that it verifies that the unit belongs to that specific car. If this verifiction process is interupted, then the ECM shuts off the radio thinking it's a stolen unit belonging to another vehicle. If this is your problem, it's best to take it in, although I must admit, I'm not a big fan of taking the car to the dealer. But they have the software to correct this.
                  But that one will trigger the radio to say Locked, not Phone.
                  <-- Gray G6? Click!
                  2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                  2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                  Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GTP80

Nope it says phone because the car went crazy and thinks its got onstar. (at least thats my guess)

Whenever i press the onstar button (for directions etc...) the stereo says phone because onstar works through cell phone lines then the guy talks over the stereo built into the car.

Best bet would be to take it to the dealer and ask them whats up. And since you don't have onstar I would think that shouldn't have happend.
                    Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

mine doesnt work on certain stations when you cut the rear defrogger on

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacking
                        mine doesnt work on certain stations when you cut the rear defrogger on
                        Thats cuz the wire for the defogger crosses or is too close to the antenna or antenna wire. If you really wanted to fix that you could find out where their too close to each other and move the wires away from each other.

I'm surprized that Pontiac didn't know better than that when they built ur car.
                        Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

I am looking into this. I passed original post to a few others for comments.

BTW the description on how radio Theftlock works was close but the BCM is module that provides the security code to the radio. The ECM is not involved. If message somehow got garbled or wasn't "heard" by the radio it would display "LOCKED" on its own. But on next ignition cycle, if code properly received, the radio would work fine without needing a trip to dealer.

Unrelated but while on the subject of weird radio display complaints.....I saw several cases last year where owner complained that their radio was displaying "Inovonics Model 711". This was due to radio station they were listening to sending out some default Radio Data Systems (RDS) message that radio was just displaying. I think it was 99.9 FM Winnipeg (Canada)

Had nothing to do with the radio in vehicle :P

EDIT:

Based on my initial looking into I agree that dealer will likely have to replace your radio.

BTW what radio option do you have: U1C, UN0 or UC6? Another way to ask this: is it a single CD or 6 disc CD Changer and does your radio display have 1 or 2 lines of text?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies....

Here is an update on the situation.

The radio seems to be working properly now. I'm not sure why it started working all of a sudden, but I'll monitor it over the next few days and see what happens.

I think there is a chance some moisture got in somewhere when the car was being detailed and was causing a short somewhere.

Regards,
                            Pacman

Comment

Well at least it went away for now, if it stays away for good then great but I guess you'll find out again over time. I'd get the unit replaced if you have problems with it in the future.

Just noticed you're in Alberta, welcome fellow Albertan.

Comment

Working...
                              X