rim size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rim size

I did a search and couldn't find what I needed. I'm looking at a set of rims that are 17x8 or 18x8 or 8 1/2. The guy at the tire shop seemed a little worried that these might be a little wide for the G6. He said that he put on a set of 20x8 they rubbed a little. My question is to those that have aftermarket rims, how wide did you go. I think that 18x8 will work but I don't want to invest in these and have to sell them right off the bat.
    2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Did the tire shop guy say what side the tires were running on? It may have been an offset issue since most shops have a range of 25mm for offset even though it should be less than 5mm different than stock.
    04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
    Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

18x8 35mm offset with a 225/40 and dont have any kind of rubbing issue, tire shop guy sounds as though he doesnt know what he's talking about. Also, could have went with a 215 or 225/45 and still wouldnt have had any issues!
      Originally posted by Toyz
      Originally posted by simplyred
      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Depends on the offset, I know someone who has 245's on their G6 and they don't rub at all. As long as you watch that then you'd be fine.

Comment

^Yeah what they said.

Mine are 18 x 7.5 with the stock GTP tires.
          2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

Nikki what is the stock GTP tire size?? Im curious about something?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Okay next question. I'm ignorant when it comes to these things. Will the stock GT tires fit on a rim that is 17x8 instead of a rim that is 17x7?
              2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Thats a hard question to answer... I would assume so as most tires have a stretching point to them (as in the widest rim they can fit), you'd have to acctually see what the specs are for the tires to see if they can fit an 8in wide rim.

Comment

225/50/18
                  2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki
                    225/50/18
                    I had the stock 16inchers... but when I went to aftermarket 18's I need a 45 series tire to make the speedo correct...

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki
                      225/50/18
                      I had the stock 16inchers... but when I went to aftermarket 18's I need a 45 series tire to make the speedo correct...
                      haha yeah, well I'm getting new tires soon. So does that make it show I'm going faster or slower than I really am?! I forgot how that works.
                      2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

the GTP must be calibrated for a 50 series so I wouldnt change it... go back to that...

Comment

the GTP must be calibrated for a 50 series so I wouldnt change it... go back to that...
                          Yeah, you know what...you changed your post :P and I was thinkin the same thing you were...I forgot my car came stock wtih 18s, so it would make no difference
                          2008 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC

Comment

I forgot my car came stock wtih 18s, so it would make no difference
                            You feelin' that bad?

Comment

A rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in the width of the rim, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".

Comment

Working...
                              X