No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried a voltage stabalizer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried a voltage stabalizer??

I see these on ebay and in about every auto parts store under the ricer section. However it seems like a good idea, its basically a large capacitor that just stores energy and whenever the car needs it the capacitor discharges the extra amount of electrical energy the car demands. Just wondering anyones thoughts about the whole idea or is it another scam out there?
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

From an electrical standpoint, Unless you are running a powerful stereo setup, it would probably not be worth the money. The alternator puts out enough energy to suffice the cars needs, however.......something you may want to consider doing in exchange for this capacitor you speak of, would be to enhance the grounding of the electrical system in the engine bay. Basically it would be a do-it-yourself kind of project. Just Ground out certain parts of the engine. Electrical energy flows from Negative (Ground) to Positive. Not the other way around. If the car seems to be having trouble with power, the grounding is what is usually choking it, not the amount of power that is available. usually with the addition of other mods, the idle RPM can be a little flaky and jumpy, a good grouding kit can reduce or completely minimize that. I would imagine that you could see a little performace increase with the AC running as well. Especially with the Automatic AC, kinda sucks sometimes. Performance wise.
    Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
    GT-R Exhaust System
    K&N Typhoon CAB
    EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
    EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

Yea I wouldn't think you'd need something like that until you start adding more electronics to the car. But even then a more powerful high-output alternator would be the best thing to install, even better than a capacitor.

Mike
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

apex'i sells a universal super grounding system that works quite well.
        jeff
        05 G6 GT:front air splitter, "speed limiter" removed. Red halo fog lights. fab'd short ram intake(the 1st). first ever side exhaust G6 =) de-badged, removed and filled f.bumper pontiac symbol (another 1st)
        90 bmw 535i :turbo, exhaust, intake, a lot...
        1988 mitsubishi starion esi-r (just bought)
        F/A-22 raptor crewchief USAF

Comment

I have seen the grounding kits and considered buying them in the past for other cars, just thought I would ask about the voltage stabalizer, thanks guys.
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I personally would not buy a pre made kit. Look at the kit......see what's in it, then you can go and buy everything on your own. Cheaper for one. Two, you get all your wires made to the size you want and makes everything look cleaner....plus you can select all your own colors and customize it to your own liking.
            Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
            GT-R Exhaust System
            K&N Typhoon CAB
            EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
            EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

i was wondering if it would even be worth trying one of these for the quicker engine start since some of us have a problem occasionally with it turning over and also some have a problem with idling. I have both of these, although they don't happen often, i was thinking about getting one just to see if it did anything, it's only like $35 and if it actually did would be worth it. they claim to help these problems, but then again they claim increased torque, fuel economy, and others which i know it wouldn't to shit for. Is it even possible for it to help the starting and/or idling issues, i don't know a whole lot about the electronics in cars. i don't want to seem like one of those people that actually believe these cheap things like the "performance chips" work.
              -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
              Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

One of the things that I always do if/when I install a larger stereo (either for myself or someone else) is that I have them start changing ground wires in the engine bay and it does make a difference!!!
                Originally posted by Toyz
                Originally posted by simplyred
                what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

In my old car I installed a capacitor and it eliminated my headlights from dimming when my stereo was cranked. As was said before, a capacitor would definitely help if you have a significant aftermarket stereo installed. I always wondered if he helped extend the life of my alternator as well. Two of them failed in my old car before I installed the capacitor.
                  2006 Crimson GTP Coupe - Debadged - Painted Engine Cover

Comment

Working...
                  X