VMS ECM and TCM Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMS ECM and TCM Install

Well I got both of them installed this afternoon and I can say the car definitely pulls harder now. I did not feel as much as a difference with the ECM as I did after I put the TCM in. This maybe because I still have not got a CAI (I ordered the ECM with future proofing in mind as I will be getting a CAI as soon as one is developed specifically for a Bu SS.) The car really pulls though. I also gave up on trying to do the Crankshaft Position relearn, I wasted about an hour and half and I guess I wasn't doing it right. I did not have the Security light as it stated I might in the directions, only the check engine light. The code was I think a P0310 (Crankshaft Position Relearn) according to my scanner. The car is going in for an oil change this week so I'll just have my mechanic do the relearn then. Does anyone know if not doing the relearn will effect the performance??

VMS and GTPprix did a great job with super fast shipping, paid for it on Saturday and had it by Friday. I give em my approval!!!! THANKS!

Re: VMS ECM and TCM Install

Originally posted by TwistinTommy
    Well I got both of them installed this afternoon and I can say the car definitely pulls harder now. I did not feel as much as a difference with the ECM as I did after I put the TCM in. This maybe because I still have not got a CAI (I ordered the ECM with future proofing in mind as I will be getting a CAI as soon as one is developed specifically for a Bu SS.) The car really pulls though. I also gave up on trying to do the Crankshaft Position relearn, I wasted about an hour and half and I guess I wasn't doing it right. I did not have the Security light as it stated I might in the directions, only the check engine light. The code was I think a P0310 (Crankshaft Position Relearn) according to my scanner. The car is going in for an oil change this week so I'll just have my mechanic do the relearn then. Does anyone know if not doing the relearn will effect the performance??

VMS and GTPprix did a great job with super fast shipping, paid for it on Saturday and had it by Friday. I give em my approval!!!! THANKS!
    Do you have a DashHawk?
    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
    2005 CGM GTO.
    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Main Menu>Diagnostics>GM Codes>Case Relearn.
      Set the car in park, put the parking break on, and press the Brakes down HARD. Then When it says to bring it up to 4,000rpm after you say go, Just FLOOR IT and FAST (within a sec or so of pressing go) to WOT and the car will sputter and it will finish and say done!

I had trouble doing the Crank Relearn with my DashHawk too
      Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms

2005 CGM GTO.
      386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
      2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Nope. No DashHawk, just a simple COdeScanner and Eraser that I picked up when I worked at an Auto parts store.

Comment

Nope. No DashHawk, just a simple COdeScanner and Eraser that I picked up when I worked at an Auto parts store.
          Ah ya. Only DashHawks can do the Crank Relearn. If that code scanner has the Crank / Case relearn (called both).. try it with the instructions I listed above.. it might work?

2005 CGM GTO.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodburyMan
            Ah ya. Only DashHawks can do the Crank Relearn. If that code scanner has the Crank / Case relearn (called both).. try it with the instructions I listed above.. it might work?
            For the record, Aeroforce Interceptor gauges can do the re-learn as well in case you have a friend with one.
            The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Sweet, i'd do the relearn asap though, wouldnt want you having the same problem i did.

'06 Malibu SS...Vector 93 tune, Nitto Invo, Magnaflow, Cai

Comment

She's going for an oil change tomorrow and I am going to have them do the Crank relearn procedure as well. I havent tried using the remote start and havent seemed to have any issues yet besides the CEL (which I know is for the Crank Relearn P0310 I think was the code). Val, did you have any other issues and what was the short circuit sound you heard?

On another note, is Manual Shifting mode...If I am doing about 40 mph and I am already in 4th the car is sluggish. Is this normal like a torque management system? If I put it back into automatic, it is just fine. Maybe it needs to be in third at that speed.

Comment

that noise it was making was the result of me trying to remote start it RIGHT when it went bezerk(and the security light turning on) from not recognizing my key fob. freaked me the hell out i thought the car was going to explode or something lol...

'06 Malibu SS...Vector 93 tune, Nitto Invo, Magnaflow, Cai

Comment

Well, I went out yesterday and installed my new ECM/TCM in 103 deg heat. Verdict:

The car should have come like this from the factory! I had to look up the howto's on releasing the clips to get the dang things out, and the TCM was a pain due to the wire bundles in the way, but overall 3/10 difficulty. I had to drive the car a bit with the CEL on because the DH wouldn't do the case relearn if it was too cold, so I went and filled up my tank and did the relearn in the gas station parking lot, haha. Runs awesome now. The main thing is the shifting. It's so much tighter and precise now.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Nice Wormhole, yah those clips are tricky if you have never used them before. Took me 15 minutes just to figure that part out. Did you notice any difference when you cleared the CEL opposed to when it was on?? Just wondering, I am still driving with the CEL light on, I guess I didnt have the patience to do the learn how even though it I thought I was doing it right. Drivin about 2,000 miles or so with it on (seems fine, I hope ) Got any pointers on doing the relearn? Other than that it pulls doesn't it??

Comment

I had to try four or five times before the relearn took. I had to do it after driving around a while, even in 100+ temps it took a bit to warm everything up to the levels it wanted. I think CJlink posted some tips somewhere about it. Basically when you press go on the DH floor it, I mean all out. If you did it right the engine will sputter a bit and you can let off. It took less than 2 seconds to sputter on me when it finally went through.

Chris posted somewhere that it's not a good idea to drive around with it on (but didn't list any details as far as I can remember). I know that it affects the remote start capabilities, but other than that I don't really know if it does anything else. I babied it until I got the relearn done, just enough to heat things up. Didn't want the chance of harming anything.

But man, this car runs like a boiled cat now. First time at WOT when it shifted at 6500 I was like DAAAAAAAAMN. I can put three other people in the car and not feel sluggish now, this thing really does go. I had several comments from my brother and some friends when I was visiting my parents a few weekends ago. They'd ridden in it before, but I think I opened their eyes that time.

I have a feeling I'm not getting the full benefit of the tune though. I told Chris to tune for intake and exhaust and I haven't ponied up the cash to get the exhaust done yet, so I'm not really seeing any MPG increases. Well, actually that's not really true. My highway mileage is still around 22 on the DIC, but strangely, my city mileage stays above 20! I used to be able to drop it to 17 over a couple of days just putzing around with it, but it doesn't really seem to want to drop now. I'm 100% satisfied, it was worth every penny and every drop of sweat to get it in.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

what did you guys buy?? I was looking at the vector tune, but it seems very limited.. or is it just me?? my buddy bought a "predator" from Diablo Sport (for his 07 Charger SXT)... and it seems way better its just a tuning system for the existing ECU... Is there anything similar available for our cars?? I sure cant find it...
                          2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

I havent seen any handheld units for our cars yet.

Chrome grilles,GM SB,HP Tuners Custom Tune,Mobil 1 Synthetic,15% tint,Custom GTP Floormats,Tinted Taillights, DS Stage 3, GXP Rims.

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
                              what did you guys buy?? I was looking at the vector tune, but it seems very limited.. or is it just me?? my buddy bought a "predator" from Diablo Sport (for his 07 Charger SXT)... and it seems way better its just a tuning system for the existing ECU... Is there anything similar available for our cars?? I sure cant find it...
                              Predator doesnt even have TCM support from FOUR model years ago, its about the least up to date unit on the market. Our tune and subsequent software is incredibly powerful comparably, but it really doesnt matter since there isnt a handheld for any model year G6/Malibu ect.
                              Chris White
                              http://www.GTOShiftLight.com
                              2006 Spice Red GTO - Stock
                              2012 CTS-V 1 of 57 Custom IPC/BCM/Radio Corsa/LPE CAI
                              2012 Cherokee SRT8 - Stockish
                              2013 SRX - Custom IPC, BCM and CUE
                              2013 XTS Platinum - Custom IPC

Comment

Working...
                              X