Window tinting on the convertible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window tinting on the convertible?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Seems like a nice board!

I picked up a G6 convertible on Friday night. It's black with tan leather with black accents. GTP of course!

Anyway I've been checking out the mods here and you guys seem really knowledgable. In the next month or so I might have to take some of the advice of you guys and do things like debadge and tint the tail lights. I'm even thinking about totally blacking out the car and getting some nice window tint and black chrome wheels.

I had a question about tint though. When you open and close the doors, the windows go up and down a little bit. Even when the window is all the way up, if you open the door it slides down just a tad and then pops up a little when you close the door.

Do you think a talented tint guy will be able to compensate for this and tint the entire thing? I'm worried that he won't be able to get that 1/4" or however much the window goes up, and I will have a little bit of untinted glass when my doors are closed.

I know its early for modding questions on the convertible, but like I said, you guys seem knowledgable and nice, so I thought I'd ask.

I'll post some pics soon! I might have to take her to Santa Cruz next week for a little topless photo shoot

first off, welcome! get some pics up of that convertible!

this issue has been covered before since a lot of us coupe owners have been wondering about it, so you could probably find some other topics floating around here somewhere. But it shouldn't be a problem if you take it to a good shop.

Once you open the door, you can just push the assembly in the door in, to trick it to think the door is really closed, and the window will slide back up so that way the entire window will get tinted. But like I said, a lot of cars have this feature so a good shop should know what to do.
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

i just got my windows tinted...they look really good and i think it is a must..the guy i went to did a really good job and compensated and all....so just make sure you go to a good shop that you have heard good things about and you should be fine....BTW nice buy!!!
      Mods so far...black arrow over lays. blue door sill over lays. painted intake and engine over..more to come

Comment

Any good tint shop will be able to do it fine. It's not a new idea so they should know what they are doing.

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't know if it was only on the convertible or what. It caught me offguard when I first got into the car. I will be sure to point it out when I take it over to the shop. They did a great job on my Grand Am many years ago, so I have no doubt they are capable of doing good on this one.

GTPguy, I love what you've done with your ride. I already bookmarked your cardomain site for reference. I'm looking to do that with my headlights and tail lights, and possibly black out the red Pontiac emblem.

I just posted 2 pics in the pics section. Let me know what you guys think! I will have some better pics in the coming weeks.

Comment

a good shop should have no problems tinting this, most shops roll down the window to tint it anyway, you just have to keep extra on the bottom, all g35 and the Z are the same way with the windows, like i said a shop shouldn't have any problems, and welcome 1 more previous Grand Am owner
            06' G6 GT SEDAN,LIQUID SILVER,35%TINT, HARDWIRE RADAR,REMOTE START,PAN. SUNROOF,NOKYA HEADLIGHT AND FOG BULBS,BLUE REVERSE LIGHTS,HID ON THERE WAY,SPOILER TO BE INSTALLED

Comment

My guy did my coupe just fine... If they can't you need another tint shop....

John
              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

That is normal on many cars now. The new Mustangs have that feature.
                I got an 05 Mustang tinted last year and they tinted it all. It rolls down partially when the door is open.
                Turned out great. No worries man. :smoke:

Welcome to the forum!!
                Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Yea.. I was worried about the whole indexing thing too.. but the shop that I'm going to on Wedneday has been tinting for like 25 years.. so I think I'll be alright!!

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Working...
                  X