Coolant mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant mix?

I'm sure it's around here so apology in advance, but what is the ratio for water vs coolant to use? this is for my g/f 1993 bonney FYI :P
    18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Re: Coolant mix?

I have always done 50/50. It should say on the bottle.
    Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

prestone already sells a pre-mixed 50/50 solution. I also have friends who run 100% coolant with no issues whatsoever.

Comment

i was 99% sure it was a 50/50 mix, but thanks for clarifying guys!
        18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Actually, depends of what kind of protection you are looking. For all around temps, including below freezing, a 50/50 will work. Add more water if you want to protect for higher temps. IE I use to mix 80 water 20 coolant for over 220F temps. We dont see anything lower than 65F, and that is on a extremely cool and rare circumstances.

Comment

I ussally run a 80/20 mix when I do flushes..... my jeep for the strain of 4x4ing and the 4.0L known for over heating issues near stright antifreeze and never had an issue..... I personaly dont like a 50/50 mix and personally always did a min 70/30
            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
            Gotta have it Green color
            Brembo brake package
            420 HP 5.0L
            Ford Racing Power Pack
            GT500 track pack differential cover
            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
              I ussally run a 80/20 mix when I do flushes..... my jeep for the strain of 4x4ing and the 4.0L known for over heating issues near stright antifreeze and never had an issue..... I personaly dont like a 50/50 mix and personally always did a min 70/30
              That doesn't sound right. If there are overheating problems then you should use more water and less coolant/antifreeze because water conduct heat better and has better cooling properties than coolant/antifreeze.
              Using staight coolant/antifreeze and no water will give you the best protection against boil over but your engine will have overheat damage much easier. It sounds contradicting I know but that's the best I can explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom
                That doesn't sound right. If there are overheating problems then you should use more water and less coolant/antifreeze because water conduct heat better and has better cooling properties than coolant/antifreeze.
                Using staight coolant/antifreeze and no water will give you the best protection against boil over but your engine will have overheat damage much easier. It sounds contradicting I know but that's the best I can explain it.
                I was always told more antifreeze the better, under optiamal conditions can run a 50/50 alongest you dont have periods of below 0 then a 70/30. But under non optimal conditions esp overheating could exsist use more antifreeze as atlongest you dont redline at 260/280 degrees you overall wont damage your engine as it wont boil till then. AS water boils at 212 and coolent doesnt boil to 260/280 degrees F. Thats why I run just about stright coolent as my jeep gets up to 230-235 somtimes under low 4x4 part time at 3-5mph. It never hits over 240.

Does that make sense?

2013 Mustang GT
                Brembo brake package
                420 HP 5.0L
                Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

If you look closely at the bottles, they should give you an idea of what mixture you need for your environment.

Also, make sure that you are mixing it with distilled water. Tap water will have minerals and other contaminants that can greatly affect the performance of the antifreeze and may be a contributing factor to dexcool eating gaskets.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I would use distilled water PLUS some Redline WatterWetter on your Jeep unless you Jeep sees freezing temps.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                      I would use distilled water PLUS some Redline WatterWetter on your Jeep unless you Jeep sees freezing temps.
                      Only time it sees freezing temps is winter and thats like 20s ussally at worst in NJ

2013 Mustang GT
                      Brembo brake package
                      420 HP 5.0L
                      Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

Working...
                      X