Help with the clay bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the clay bar

Okay. I'm getting ready to pick up a kit to clean up the rides. I here alot about the clay bar. I haven't used one before. What should I be carefull of and what are the hints and tricks. I know nothing about it so teach me ohh wise ones of the detailing.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
    Originally posted by [i
    Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Re: Help with the clay bar

Buy a kit that comes with the "detail spray". Always keep the surface wet with detail spray through out your passes with the clay bar. I would try to stay away from plastic trim pieces. You will know if you do not have enough detail spray on the surface. You want nice smooth glides with the clay bar.
    Have fun! Its not hard and you really cant screw it up..
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

I used a liquid clay bar, the liquid ice one. It works good, maybe not as good as others but was really easy to use. Since it was a liquid you don't need to worry about keeping it wet. Just go in a back and forth motion, now swirls.
      Vector Tune - CRAB Cold Air Box - Cquence Ultima Cross Brake Rotors

Comment

What exactly does the clay bar do?
        Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Clay bar removes all the surface bonded contaminants that regular washing can't remove. Little bits of dirt that are embedded in the paint, paint overspray, etc. can be removed by clay barring.

You can't really use too much detail spray - more is much better than not enough. Just spray a panel, clay it, wipe the panel with a clean microfibre and move on.

Also remember to continually knead the clay - fold it over on itself. This way the crap you pick up from one panel gets buried inside the clay, and you're using a fresh part of the clay to start the next panel. If you drop the clay - throw it out. It will pick up all kinds of dirt if you drop it. If the claybar you get is big enough, cut it in half or in thirds so if you drop one piece you have more clean pieces to keep going.

Comment

I just clayed a car for the first time last weekend, I have to say its really easy. Its basically idiot proof in my opinion.

I used Meguiars clay stuff and it worked amazing. Just spray and glide the clay over the lubricant or the detail spray and then wipe it off and move on. I tried to work in 2 foot areas and after that area knead the clay.
            Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
              Clay bar removes all the surface bonded contaminants that regular washing can't remove. Little bits of dirt that are embedded in the paint, paint overspray, etc. can be removed by clay barring.

You can't really use too much detail spray - more is much better than not enough. Just spray a panel, clay it, wipe the panel with a clean microfibre and move on.

Also remember to continually knead the clay - fold it over on itself. This way the crap you pick up from one panel gets buried inside the clay, and you're using a fresh part of the clay to start the next panel. If you drop the clay - throw it out. It will pick up all kinds of dirt if you drop it. If the claybar you get is big enough, cut it in half or in thirds so if you drop one piece you have more clean pieces to keep going.

Damn James, you're starting to sound like an expert now! Good job.
              When using the detail spray, have a micro fiber towel to wipe off the detail spray. Don't let it dry on the car. After washing, rub your palm along the paint. If you feel any thing sticking to the paint, you need to use the clay bar.
              Mostly the tops of the vehicle will need it, and places when road debris can hit the side of the car.
              Like James said, kneed the clay flat to fit the palm of your hand.
              Spray some detail spray on it and the surface you're going to work on. Rub the clay back and forth, you'll hear the clicking as it removes the debris. When the sound is gone, the panel is clean. Wipe off the detail spray. Do small areas at a time, no bigger than 2 by 2.

Wax your vehicle after.
              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT

BTW, the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit is a pretty good deal - you get two clay bars, a bottle of detailing spray and a decent microfiber towel for something like $25, and you can find it easily in local stores.

Comment

When using the detail spray, have a micro fiber towel to wipe off the detail spray. Don't let it dry on the car. After washing, rub your palm along the paint. If you feel any thing sticking to the paint, you need to use the clay bar.
                  Mostly the tops of the vehicle will need it, and places when road debris can hit the side of the car.
                  Like James said, kneed the clay flat to fit the palm of your hand.
                  Spray some detail spray on it and the surface you're going to work on. Rub the clay back and forth, you'll hear the clicking as it removes the debris. When the sound is gone, the panel is clean. Wipe off the detail spray. Do small areas at a time, no bigger than 2 by 2.

Wax your vehicle after.
                  and thanks because it sounds like something I need to do.
                  Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

BTW, the Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay kit is a pretty good deal - you get two clay bars, a bottle of detailing spray and a decent microfiber towel for something like $25, and you can find it easily in local stores.
                    Actually thats what I got at Checkers for $17.99

Originally posted by [i
                    Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Put it this way: Run your hand across the paint of a brand new car sitting in a dealership showroom. Go home, wash and claybar your car really well, then run your hand across it. Feels the same, don't it?
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by WS6 RACING

Actually thats what I got at Checkers for $17.99
                        Another item where the Canucks get gouged

Comment

I just used a clay bar on my car for the first time. It was super easy and it made a huge difference. After I thoroughly washed and dried my car I ran my fingers over the hood and it still felt gritty and dirty even though it looked clean. When I ran my fingers over the paint after claying they would squeak. It was a very noticeable difference. I used Riccardo Clay and Pinnacle Clay Lubricant. Riccardo Clay is awesome. It's super stretchy and easy to mold. It doesn't crack or crumble when trying to reshape it. If you ever have a chance to pick it up and give it a try you won't be disappointed. I bought it from eshine.ca. Not sure if they ship to the states though.

Comment

Well I finished it. Heres my thoughts. Don't ever do this to 3 cars in one day. Holly $h*t that sucked.

Well it turned out pretty good. I'm a first timer so I tok it slow to catch every detail. How often should this be done? The car looks new and I stashed it in the garage to keep it clean. Now I will be pissed when a drop of water hits it.

Originally posted by [i

Comment

You can clay on any surface, just make sure you have enough lubrication. If you run out of detailing spray (should last you a few cars at least) car soap and water work just as well. And if you drop the clay it's history, throw it away. So be extra careful when it comes to that. If after you wash your car your paint doesn't feel as smooth as glass, you should clay. It should be done about once a year.

I might start to lose business to him now.

Comment

Working...
                              X