Purchased an SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased an SS

Just in case you "bu" guys don't check the new member threads. As of April 30th, I am now the proud owner of an 06 silver Malibu SS. Not really looking to do much to it except the usual intake, Vector ECM/TCM tune and possibly exhaust (however, I do like the stealthy quietness of the stock system). Not going to do much in terms of swapping out Audio either, I like the stock cabin appearance. May replace the stock speakers with Polk brand, but I've never done that with using the the stock head unit. So I'm not sure that would give much better sound since the source has not improved. Any tips on what to do for the intake? I've seen the options for Doctor Speed, though I am not sure if he's still in business. Does Lampoon make a CAB for the SS bunch?

Also, not sure if you you guys have seen this....it'd be cool to have an AUX input for MP3 player or DVD player for long trips!!

Not sure if I can use it (I've got XM--first time user...It's only good for when you can't watch an Indy race on TV, BPM dance music, Stand-up comedy stations).

Thanks!

Re: Purchased an SS

First off, welcome to the family!

Vector is running a tune special right now, I just ordered a ECM/TCM combo with all new hardware for right at $400. Check the sponsor and vendor forum for details. Its a really good deal - if you order the same thing off the vector website it'll run you over $750.

I've taken some pics/measurements for Lampoon to see how his CAB will work, but I haven't heard anything out of him in a few days. He does them in his spare time, so he probably just got busy. I know he's working hard on wifey's mustang right now. Dr Speed has been sighted here and there, but he's just been selling off old stock. I don't think he's still making new stuff. I'm using a Dr Speed Stage 3 (fenderwell style) currently. I like it, but I've had issues with it coming apart (probably due to me just not tightening everything down) and with rubbing on parts. I'd hang in there and see what Lampoon comes up with - his boxes are awesome.

There are no premade exhaust kits for the Malibu. I'd love to have a GT-R, but we're so small I don't think that's going to happen. I've got plans to get a mandrel bent system with two Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow's put in later in the summer, I love the deep rumble of classic American muscle. I've heard them on some similar motors, I just hope they don't pop - a resonator should fix it if they do though.

As far as an aux port - apparently there's an ipod aux connector thread around here somewhere that might work out. I replaced the stock setup with aftermarket though, so I can't say I've investigated that option. I know a few of the G6 guys put the 2008 style radio into theirs (which has aux), but that requires dealer intervention and I'm not sure the 08 Malibu has a swappable radio.

Once again, welcome!

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

Hey and welcome again
      as for the air box thing, I would say just slap a K&N into the existing box and go with it... an after market air box isnt gonna do anything more than that, other than change the appearance... (im gonna get yelled at for saying that)
      as for the exhaust, I have the same plan as wormhole, except I will be using a pair of Borla turbo mufflers instead of the flowmaster (both are great, as is magnaflow...) a custom mandrel bent system isnt cheap tho.
      Anyways... get some pics up so we can see your ride, I need to do the same, but Im kinda computer retarded and nobody seems to want to tell me how to...
      2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by 06MaxxSS
        Anyways... get some pics up so we can see your ride, I need to do the same, but Im kinda computer retarded and nobody seems to want to tell me how to...
        Go to http://photobucket.com/ and create an account. Upload your pictures there. After putting them there, it should provide you with a bit of code that starts like [ img ] http://photobucket.com/linktopicture/ [ /img ] under each picture. Just paste that here and there ya go, pics in the thread.

And as for the airbox thing, there are three reasons to do it. If you get tuned, your tune will appreciate the extra airflow (yes, it does make some difference). Two, it sounds awesome at full throttle, a little extra roar in there. And third, it looks nice under the hood. As you can see, opinions differ, and I don't think there are dyno's to back things up either way.

Mods: Vector 93 ECM/TCM, Addco prototype 7/8" rear sway bar, Powerslot Cryo rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, Yokohama AVID W4S 245/45/18 on Cobalt SS/TC wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6900UB, Alpine PDX-1.600 pushing a 12" Kicker L7, Scosche DIC, Peripheral steering wheel control kit

Comment

can I do it with pics from cardomain?? it worked for my avatar... which i just did lol thanks for your help
          2006 Malibu Maxx SS

Debadged, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Full CRAB Intake, K&N Oil Filter, K&N Air Filter, R1 concepts cross-drilled and slotted rotors, EBC red stuff pads, Red painted Calipers, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Painted engine cover with SS emblem.

Comment

It should work the same for cardomain, just use the Img button located under the Subject area when making a reply, and put the url in between the created [ img ] tags. It needs somewhat sanitized url's though, so if it has anything weird like & or ? in it then it will break and not post right (which is why I can't post my pics from Picasa in my signature, I have to host them on my server to get them to show up here).

Comment

Pix please.....
              Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
              Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
              WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

sweet lets see some pics

'06 Malibu SS...Vector 93 tune, Nitto Invo, Magnaflow, Cai

Comment

Glad to have you

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                  Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

Welcome...
                    RedRebel
                    GXP rims, Nankang performance tires, Magnaflow exhaust, Crimson CAB, red calipers, metallic red engine cover,35% Smoke tint

Comment

Working...
                    X