Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountains out of mole hills!

I don't get it! At all!
    I read all the threads about installing a new cold air intake system on a GTP; was enough to create nightmares what with horror stories about removing the resonator et al.
    Either I missed something or everybody was nuts because I installed one (and there were problems, only one of which was ever mentioned!) but the resonator was no problem at all! It simply stayed put; didn't need to be removed at all.
    What was all the fuss about?
    GTP driver
    G. Stephen Day

What intake did you install?
    Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the cold air box style wouldn't require the removal of the resonator. The stage 3 would because that is where the new filter goes. I think I got rid of my pics of the stage 3. sorry
      2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Exactly, and that is why I am wondering what he got...?

John

Comment

Proly a drop in K & N
          2005 G6 GT, body kit, red calipers, redline elite hood lifts, pan roof, tan leather interior, monsoon 6-disk, 17" crome rims, Dr. Speed stage 3 CAI, Strut tower brace, White painted headlights

Comment

Be nice!

Comment

Sorry in a playful mood I really was just kidding. He had a very legit question. I would have asked the same thing when I first tore into my car if I would have gotten the cold air box.

Comment

Originally posted by fireguy82
                If I'm not mistaken, the cold air box style wouldn't require the removal of the resonator. The stage 3 would because that is where the new filter goes. I think I got rid of my pics of the stage 3. sorry

haha sorry, everyone else loves using it so i thought i would try it out

Comment

Only pic i could find. This is looking down on the intake standing on the passenger side. You can see the intake tube bending into the fender well where the resnator was.

Good stuff

Comment

Cold air intake

Gee whiz! For those of you who need the graphic details, the intake system I installed in my GTP was from RSM racing and includes everything from the throttle body to the K&N cone filter on the end which just rests where the old filter box sat.
                    Further question, why would one place the filter down in the hole where the air resonator lies?
                    GTP driver
                    G. Stephen Day

Comment

The air down in the fender well is cooler than if it were taken straight from the engine compartment.

Don't take offense to my comments. Just messin.

Comment

That is precisely why it was easy. The resonator is the hard part, the piece in the fender. If you buy an air box approach as you did the install takes only a few minutes. So to answer your topic no one is making mountains out of molehills when installing the cold air boxes... Those that are installing FWI are the ones that have to deal with the hard work!

John

P.S. Got pics? I would like to see better photos of their air intake!

(Those are off or RSM's site and each of those kits are 350 and does everyone see their 300 strut tower bar on the 3900?)

Comment

take it out anyway it's freakin' heavy.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Air intakes

Thanks for the opinions re: resonator removal but outside of one picture I see none of the system pictures where the installation has been any different than mine; all filters just sit where the original box was. And by the looks of my car, removal of the resonator would involve working from the underneath of the car and a lot of work.
                            GTP driver
                            G. Stephen Day

Comment

with the DS Stage 3 the intake sits down inside the fenderwell, not on top where the stock setup is.

Comment

Working...
                              X