Spray glue before painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray glue before painting

OK, so I painted my engine cover and it did not turn out right. The paint peeled off and then I had to strip the whole thing. I am trying not to take a brillo to it to scuff it up before I paint. I was wondering if I gave it a coat of spray adhesive before painting, would that help it stick better, or am I barking up the wrong tree on this one? Also, if it is a good plan, should I let the glue fully dry first, or should I paint while it is still takcy?

Re: Spray glue before painting

What kind of paint did you use?

Comment

duplicolor car touch up paint (spray paint)

Comment

Try laying down a coat of primer first.

Comment

will the primer stick on that smooth surface

Comment

It's suppose to, it helps to stick to the material and allow the paint to do the same. I assume you cleaned it thoroughly? It will need to be cleaned so there isn't any grease or dirt on there.

Comment

cleaned it down with rub alcohol. I will lay down some primer, just was trying to avoid that.The color needs to be on a darker surface to look like the right color, and all my primer is grey. Oh well, just have to see how it looks

Comment

It'll cover up pretty good, worse case you will just need to lay down another coat. But you should be much happier with the result. Painting plastic is always tricky.

Comment

I think they make spraypaint specifically for plastic. I remember seeing it at Walmart.

Comment

Krylon...

Comment

....fusion

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevelle
                          duplicolor car touch up paint (spray paint)
                          I used the the duplicolor trim paint (spray) with no primer. I did it black again, from that plasticky black to nice deep clean new looking black. That was like 8 or 9 months ago and it didn't peel. Still looks good.

'08 G8 GT... 1 7/8" Kooks Blue Ceramic Coated Long tube Headers... 3" Xpipe...Magnaflow axle backs...Rotofab CAI...Heater hose relocate. Ported throttle body, intake manifold, Custom grind cam 227/237 .620/.604 LSA 113 +3, Circle D 3200 stall, 3.45 rear gear,Tuned by Redline
                          Dyno 438 WHP 415 WTQ

'15 Chevy SS Some Like It Hot Red Holden Grill & trunk badge... Solo performance axle backs... Rotofab Intake, Mobile attractions front splitter

Comment

have to go at it one more time. Maybee I laid it on to thick the first time. And yes the fusion is great, unless you are looking for special colors. They are mainly red black green and so on. Well just gave it a good cleanin with some soap and water, and used a green scrubby to kinda scratch it some. If it turns out, I will post it in the painted engine post before a mod yells at me for the location of this

Comment

If you used the auto-spray for oem matching, that paint doesn't have much if any additional adhesion properties since it's designed to be used with primer. On some paints like trim paint, ceramic paint it's less crucial since it has different base properties but that said I would still use a primer imo. It's possible you didn't let it dry enough, put on too thick like you mentioned... a lot of variables from person to person and their method.

But good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X