Adding new stereo and keeping XM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding new stereo and keeping XM?

I currently have XM capability on my stock radio. If I were to buy an aftermarket radio, and wanted to keep the XM, do I need a separate XM tuner? Or can I use the one that's in the car already? Does anyone know if the tuner is built into the stock radio or if it is separate? Because I already have the XM antenna on the roof, and I'd like to keep that one there and be able to connect it to an aftermarket radio. How does this work?

Mike
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Don't completely take my word for it but the XM should be integrated into the radio unit. A buddy of mine bought an expensive MP3 player (forgot the brand) to replace his stock unit in his Silverado and that head unit is XM ready. So possibly you would just have to buy an aftermarket head unit that is XM ready and you could use your exhisting antennae.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

so if it says "XM Ready", then it will just connect to the stock wiring in there?

Mike
      -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

OK here's what I found out.....satellite ready aftermarket head units generally have an auxillary input on the rear of the head unit however you still have to buy the satellite receiver which from Best Buy run around $50.00USD more or less depending on where you shop. So you'd have to get the head unit that is satellite ready in XM or Sirius then buy the "tuner box" so they call it, THEN you have to buy a few adapters and what not according to their website to get everything working right. In my opinion I love my Sirius Sportster Replay and I love a big blue screen in the middle of my windshield-I have a think for high tech stuff! If you wanted to do it-its possible but in the long run it would be cheaper to just buy an entire car kit like the kit I have in my G6 coupe-$150USD with a $50 mail in rebate, this price included everything I needed other than the subscription.

Heres the URL to the tuner box on Best Buy:
        http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3710277061

Hopefully this helps you out some.
        TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

You can buy an aftermarket XM satellite radio receiver for about 17 bucks....got them at best buy or circuit city for that price.....but from what I understand is that you have to use the antenna that comes with it, can't use the stocker.
          Redline Elite Quicklift Kit
          GT-R Exhaust System
          K&N Typhoon CAB
          EBC Slotted/Cross Dimpled Front/Rear Rotors
          EBC RedStuff Front/Rear Pads

Comment

oh yeah, the 17 bucks includes the receiver and the antenna. And the antenna lead wire is usually about 20 feet long, they cannot be cut and soldered back together....the receiver will recognize a fault within the antenna.
            GT-R Exhaust System
            K&N Typhoon CAB

Comment

So if I buy an aftermarket radio I have to take the XM antenna on my roof off and put a new one up?

Mike
              -Mike #1

Comment

thats what its sounding like, might be easier and cheaper to just buy a satellite receiver and mount it to the dash or windshield instead of replacing your radio then having to deal with the antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                  thats what its sounding like, might be easier and cheaper to just buy a satellite receiver and mount it to the dash or windshield instead of replacing your radio then having to deal with the antenna.
                  Yea but I want to replace the radio...I want an MP3 player, maybe even a DVD player. But I already have a subscription to XM and I don't want it to go to waste.

Mike
                  -Mike #1

Comment

well I guess you might have to sacrafice one for the other, bah the life we all live!! :evil:

Comment

I bought a blaupunkt (or however you spell it.....) DVD/DVD-R/CD/CD-R/MP-3 player. It's made for the car, and isnt a din replacement. I kept my stock stereo with XM, and use the DVD player for everything else. I have not found a permanent place to mount it, but it's a great product, and I got it for a decent price as well.
                      GT-R Exhaust System
                      K&N Typhoon CAB

Comment

Well I already have the Turbo2 install kit with the DIC controls on the way, so I have to figure something out.

Mike
                        -Mike #1

Comment

Let us all know how the quality of the product is and what heartaches you went through to get everything installed and working! Good luck with it all.

Comment

Goodluck and post some pictures. I think a single DIN radio might clean up the interior look a little bit. I am very interested to see how this comes out.
                            GT-R Exhaust System
                            K&N Typhoon CAB

Comment

Yea I just need a radio now. I'm thinking of two options:

(1)Buy a regular CD/MP3 player for around $250, 2 subwoofers/box/amplifier for around $450.

(2) Buy a DVD/MP3/CD player with motorized screen for about the same price.

What do you think? I can't afford the DVD player AND the subwoofers/amp right now, but both are things that I want in the future.

Mike
                              -Mike #1

Comment

Working...
                              X