Removing Wheels Correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Wheels Correctly

This is a pretty basic how-to request, but I’d like to know how you guys remove the wheels from your car. Where you place the jack on the frame, when to loosen the bolts, what you re-torque them to, etc.

I know this is pretty simple stuff; I just wanted to know what the correct process is.

Thanks.

Re: Removing Wheels Correctly

loosen them before you lift the car, then take them off after lifting

there are arrows on the black pieces that show you were to place lift. you will see the metal framing that you need to use behind those

i retorque by hand

Comment

manual shows you that. Cant remember if torq specs are in there. 50lbs? Anyone know off hand?
      Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
      Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
      WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

100 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by jnak
          100 lbs

Oh and dont loosen the lugs completely before lifting the car. Just break them loose!
          Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

yeh that is what i meant

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
              100 lbs

Oh and dont loosen the lugs completely before lifting the car. Just break them loose!
              And fpr God and your back sake...use gravity!!!

Loose and tighten pushing toward the ground, not upwards!!!
              Also, be sure NOT to crossthread the bolts. Start by hand, then by wrench, snug tight then torque them in criss cross pattern. In mag or aluminum wheels be sure to re-torque them after 20 or so miles.

Wheel studs does NOT requires any lubrication, threadlocker or anything!!! unless its a submersible trailer....but thats another story.

Comment

Ahh yes that made me think of something else..

It would be wise to put "antiseeze" on the studs and on the wheel/hub contact points.. But not a necessity!
                Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

It would be wise to put "antiseeze" on the studs and on the wheel/hub contact points.. But not a necessity!
                  not needed unless you have "exposed" thread nuts or submerge the wheels on saltwater. A LIGHT coat of grease will help. Anything more than a light coat will pick up road dirt and dust.

Comment

100 lbs

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is important unless you want to make more work for yourself when you get the wheel off the ground!

Comment

I'm daring. If I'm doing the front, I just place my hydraulic jack right under the front of the car and jack up the whole front end. If I'm doing a r otation, I put the jack on the side behind the front wheel, and if I go up high enough, the entire side lifts off the ground so I can swap both wheels. I know that sounds crazy, but I've done it three times already with no problems.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

torque spec is 115lbs i thought.....

i dunno.
                        The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

one silly little detail that some people really forget... Parking Brake.. It's there use it! Otherwise you maybe rocking the car a little too much and it's not fun having a car fall off the jack onto the rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP

not needed unless you have "exposed" thread nuts or submerge the wheels on saltwater. A LIGHT coat of grease will help. Anything more than a light coat will pick up road dirt and dust.
                            I said it was not a necessity, but um i think it is a little more important then open thread nuts or submerging you wheels in salt water IMO. There were many of wheels i had to literally bang of vehicles that were never even close to a ocean! On newer vehicles you do not have to worry so much, but you start getting over 5+ year old cars in your shop your going to know it.

Comment

just to throw it out there ive heard not to use antiseize on lug nuts because it allows the nut to turn a bit more then it would on a dry stud hense stretching the stud a bit everytime weakinging it

anyway i thought torque was 125ftlbs but idk i just throw the grey torque stick on my impact and hammer home

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                              Originally posted by snowmanG6
                              you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
                              X