TurboCharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TurboCharging

I was talking to my one friend that loves ricer cars lol. But yeah he said that i should build a turbo kit for it. Is there enough room for this and would it be feasible? Not saying i would do it but i was just wondering if it could be done within reason.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

I want one too, there's plenty of room for it if you move a couple things around.
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Anything is possible, there should be lots of room. Just depends on how you build it.

Comment

There is more than enough room, but the real question is, can the drivetrain handle the load ? if you set it up and limit the power to about 25%, it would be border line at best. The problem is, that the cost verses that limited 25% extra power would not be cost effective. The drivetrain in these cars were made to handle the stock output, and not much more. Turbos are very efficient, and can easily double the torque output, and this is where you would run into trouble. Just going to a better exhaust and air intake would warrant making the tranny shift quick and firm.

Comment

thats what i was talking about reasonable since beefing up the drivetrain alone would be pretty expensive in itself also.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

I would be worried because of what happend to Kyle's car... When he busted his CV/axle or whatever happened!?

John
            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

that should be covered under warrantee...the dealer can't prove the 25% gain in horsepower caused any damage

Comment

Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

That and it was a fluke incident.

Comment

Hence the reason GM rates there trannys so low, for liability issues. For the GTP 4T65E guys an easy way to get a ballpark figure on how well your tranny with handle boost, just look at the GPGTP guys, and for the GT 4T45E guys just look at the Grand Am's. I think you'll find the 4T65E is the stronger tranny but still has its issues. As for us F40 guys, its pretty much be trial and error. One problem I foresee is the clutch, and sadly no one makes an aftermarket clutch for the F40 yet however it does share some of the same internals as the F23 out of the LE5( 2.4 Ecotch's) which are also related to the F35 off the LSJ (2.2 S/C) which as you know has a LSD. I'm going to do some research in the differences in the trannys and see if that LSD is swappable. Don't get your hopes up I doubt it is for some retarded reason.

As for the actual Turbo setup, I think the 3900 is a farley strong bottom end, reason being is that it has 25 years of designs behind it. Another nice boost happy edition to the 3900 is the piston cooling and lubricant jets.

Turbochargine is pretty generic, I’m not expert by any means, but the construction of the system fallows a similar road on most cars.
                    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

yea the guy told me what i would need to build a turbo kit. If i wanted to make one that is but who knows.

Comment

You should go for it, be the first.

Comment

The older GP GTPs had 280lb-ft of torque though. And I know they can definitely handle a little more because I've come across some modded ones before, and I doubt any work to the tranny was done.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Yeah I've seen some heavily modded GP's on stock tranny's and whatnot. If you went to boost you'd have to keep it low it looks like.

Comment

That's the one thing I'm jealous of in the older GTPs...sure now we have a natural 3.9 putting out 240 hp like the 3.8 supercharged GTPs, but they got that extra torque as a result of the supercharger
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X