Exterior repairs after winter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exterior repairs after winter...

Hello all, I'm in the process of fixing up my exterior after a rough winter. My car was keyed, there are numerous ding marks on the front of the car, and there are a few noticable scratches on the passenger side door.... *sigh*... anyways, I just want to make sure I'm doing this right before I proceed, here is what I'm looking to do (or have done already):

- I've already applied touchup paint to the dings on the front of the car and the scratches on the driver side door (I'm getting the keyed area repainted... $400... ugh). Since I'm a n00b at this, I think I applied a little to much in some areas. I've read in some threads that I should use 2000 grit then 2500 grit sandpaper to level out the touchup paint areas?

- After my touch up paint has been leveled out, should I clean the car then wax it? I realize that the "shiny finish" on my car will disappear after sanding out my touch up spots.

Anyways, I'm just wondering how exactly to proceed with this. My logic says that I should sand down the trouble spots (with 2000 and 2500 grit sandpaper) then clean the exterior with regular car wash. Afterwards, apply a good cleaner, polish, then wax combo?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Exterior repairs after winter...

Sounds good to me, i too was keyed and the repair would of been $400, stupid people!
    18" Zyoxx ZX8 rims 245/40/18, Bridgestone Potenza's, Alpine Type R subs, Vector ECU Tune, DS stage 3, Magnaflow exhaust 6000k HID's, G6P member: 249

Comment

Just had the front bumper cover repaired and repainted on my GTO. It is so purdy! Im debating whether or not to put the money into repainting the hood or not??

But yes, winter is horrible on our rides!
      Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Good stuff ... so you guys think $400 is reasonable for a quarter panel repainting?

Comment

NO

Comment

you can never pay to much for a great paint job, specially if there is blending involved. But, how big of an area will they be doing?
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

6-10 inches is what he said in other thread. but said they had to do whole thing

Comment

You might as well try to fix it yourself, worse case you'll just get it fixed in the end anyways.

Pics!

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll post some pics tomorrow. I've already touched up the scratch with touchup paint... it looks better than before but instead of a nasty white streak I have a nasty red one lol.... you'll see tomorrow...

Comment

Don't be surprised if the price goes up around $700.
                    Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Why is that? Extra work may be required to fix the issue?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Swiguy
                          Why is that? Extra work may be required to fix the issue?
                          Exactly. Also if you haven't noticed our cars a a pain in the a** to tear apart and put back together.
                          Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Well $400 was way too much to begin with.

Comment

Well I did take pics but you can't see the damn key mark. I already painted it with touchup paint but it is definately noticable with the naked eye. I'm almost tempted to just paint it over again, sand it down, buff and wax. Sure the key mark will be noticable and a bit darker then the rest of the car.... but maybe it's worth it? I dunno...

Comment

Working...
                              X