Side Mirror Centre Cover Removal HOWTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Mirror Centre Cover Removal HOWTO

I took mine off to fix a small wind noise from breaking one of the hooks on my covers (I did it without taking the mirror off). This is how to take the centre piece of the side mirrors for painting.

1. Take the mirror surface off. Adjust the mirror so it's all the way towards the car. Stick your hand behind the mirror, and tug it off. You'll need some pressure, but not too much so you break the mirror.

2. After you take the mirror surface off, you can now pop the cover. Release the tabs so that the cover pops loose. Slide each tab to the side to release it from the catch, then stick a finger nail into the gap between the cover and the nail to take the cover off.

See below for tab locations, circled in red. Pictures shows the right mirror only, left mirror similar:

Here are closer look at where each of the tabs are:

3. Paint the covers. I did mine at a shop, so I don't have procedures on how to paint them. Look around, or do what I did.

4. Re-install the covers back on the mirror. Make sure all tabs snap back into the catch. If a tab broke in the process, you can use a little flexi-plastic glue to stick the edge back to the mirror.

6. Re-install the mirror. The three studs just snap back on in place. It's a little tricky, but it can be done. Adjust the mirror a bit to try to get it to catch. All three must snap back in place for it to work properly.

Have fun!
    <-- Gray G6? Click!
    2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
    2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Re: Side Mirror Centre Cover Removal HOWTO

Great write up! Thank you. Maybe I'll finally be able to fix that squeak
    Blue Man Group

Comment

Great write-up. Thanks. That side mirror looks like it's some piece of engineering.

Comment

Thanks for the write up!! I've been wanting to mess around with my mirrors. Been wanting to paint that middle piece forever but i never really got to find out how to remove it. Hopefully I'll get that done soon. Just gotta find out how to paint em!

Comment

THANKYOU SOOOOOO MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1 for u man this is a tight write up... gettin my b-kit painted and some others these baby's r goin Mon for paint ..

Comment

Working...
          X