0W - 30 Mobile 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0W - 30 Mobile 1

You read that right, 0W - 30. I saw it today when I was picking up my usual Mobile 1 10W - 30 at Walmart. It says it gives you better gas mileage and it reduces wear on the motor. It also says it exceeds the quality and protection of 10W - 30 and 5W - 30. Anybody know anything about this? I thought about trying it but I was unsure, it seemed to be pretty thin.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Re: 0W - 30 Mobile 1

I say go with what GM recommends. 5w30.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I thought my self of using 0w-30 but never have. I hate we have no oil PSI gauge just a dumby light. If we had one and can see what the oil PSIs sat at then I prob would do 0w-30 so I can see if oil PSIs drop and how much if accable or not.

Only story I have heard on 0w-30 is on the 4.0L jeep cherrokee. A guy dynoing his from 5-30 conventional went and ran 0w-30 and claims he picked up under same driving conditions like .2 MPG and the dyno showed a 3HP pick up on the RPM range. But I cant confirm that as no dyno sheets posted ect.
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Is there any difference once the engine warms up?

Still the same "hot" viscosity?

Will flow better when cold though

Comment

My understanding of oil is this. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretations...

W = winter.

The first number, therefore, represents winter/cold engine viscosity (approx 0°F).

The second number represents summer/hot engine viscosity (approx 210°F).

So in colder weather, a 0W oil will flow better when cold than a 5W oil. But when hot, they all flow the same -- that is, they are all equivalent 30 weight oils when hot.

So essentially, the only benefits to be had would be in winter on cold starts. Otherwise, they are equivalent. So I call on the guy who said he got better overall performance by switching.

Personally - if GM says to use 5W-30...that's all I will put in MY car.
          2009 PONTIAC G8
          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

zero weight oil is supposed to increase horse power.
            atleast I have read that several times.

My Progression Page: click here

Comment

Originally posted by Rannin Ravensight
              zero weight oil is supposed to increase horse power.
              atleast I have read that several times.
              it's only 0 weight in cold weather, so i don't really see how it could.
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

maybe increases power in cold weather??

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                  maybe increases power in cold weather??
                  Even if so, it would only be for a few minutes. Once the engine is hot, the oil is an equivalent 30 weight to any 5W-30 or 10W-30
                  2009 PONTIAC G8
                  MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

how much oil did u put in? owners manual says 5.5 qts, the 3.9s take 4 something qts and if you check the dipstick after you put in 5.5qts, it should read overfilled - i still haven't figured out if this is a typo in the manual, or if our dipsticks are screwed up/...... anyone wanna run by a pontiac dealer and ask whats up? i don't exaclty have one around me....
                    2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                    Black/Black coupe

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I just keep checking it until it reads to the top of the shaded area.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Fish, you are correct. The w is for winter, not weight.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

The way I understand it is that the 1st number is how thick the oil is when it's cold according to the SAE weights. The second number is how much it thins out at maximum temperature according to the SAE weights.

Thus, a 5w30 motor oil is equivalent to SAE5 when cold, but will thin no more than SAE30 when hot.

I believe this is done so that at colder temperatures, the oil flows better, but doesn't thin dangerously when at temp or heated to redline.

As such, i'd be wary of using a 0-weight oil expect if you lived in, say, Nunavut or Barrow, Alaska. While operating temperature shouldn't be an issue, at startup and when it's cold, the oil will be thinner than what the engine is rated for, and might not lubricate and protect fully until it's warmed up. 0-weight will flow better, but the lessened viscosity could become an issue in some of the oil bearings--especially if for some reason you really have to romp on her when she's cold.

Just my $.02. Here in the Seattle area it doesn't get too cold or too warm, so I don't have flow or viscosity issues if i stick with 5w30.

Jerrod: Your best bet is to do what I did. Buy 6 quarts of your favorite flavor of oil. Add Quart per quart until you're about at the bottom of the "filled" range, then go to half quarts. When it reads about at the top of the filled range. Stop. Secure the car for running and start the engine and let it run for 20-30 seconds. Shut it off and check for oil leaks. When done, Check the level again. Since the laws of Thermodynamics and Physics say that there's no way the oil level will be higher, the oil level, if anything, should drop--especially if you're like me and don't fill up the filter. Add any oil if necessary, Erring on the high-side of the full range, and then drop the car and road test it for awhile. Come back and check the dipstick. Again, the level will never rise (unless you have a serious problem), but may fall--likley it won't at this point. Note how much oil it took. Remember for reference.

I did that and mine does indeed take 5.5. But that's the 3.6. Your results may vary. And if yours does take 4, then you have 2 extra quarts you don't have to buy for next time. If yours is the 3.6, and you're unnerved about it only taking 4--see the dealership and ask them if your dipstick is correct.
                          "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                          ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                          Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

my dip stick is messed up then. yes I have a 3.6(hence 2007 GTP) I have changed my oil numerous times with the same conclusion. The oil is way over filled according to the dipstick. liek way passed the X marks.

So the 3.6 has been going with a quart less of oil for 11K miles - AWESOME!
                            2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS T/C
                            Black/Black coupe

Comment

I can't say for certain. Hell, it could be that the tube that the dipstick goes into is too short. It could be many things.

Personally, i'd take it to the dealership and let them know that it's an issue if you're still under warantee.

Besdies, i'd not be terribly worried unless the oil light came on. But regardless. If you're worried about voiding warantee issues, if you find someone that has a 3.6 near you that seems to like 5.5 quarts (if you're near the seattle area I can help on it), and try using theirs. If their dipstick reads overfull on 5.5 quarts or underfull on 4 quarts then it's a more serious problem. If theirs reads normal, then it's just getting a new dipstick.
                              "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                              ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                              Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X