Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preserving my finish from those #@%$&*! birds!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving my finish from those #@%$&*! birds!!

Hi all.
    OK.....summers coming and with it comes the damn birds that use my car in my workplace parking lot as target practice!!! So my question to you is, any products or suggestions on how to preserve the finish before/after the birds shit on it?? We have families of birds that spend the summer around the place I work at. I know sooner or later that my new car will get hit. I just hate the thought of that bird shit baking into the finish of my car on a hot July day!!! Any products you use that remove it without damaging the paint?

Jeff

OnStar / XM Satellite Radio / Monsoon Sound System / Sun Roof / GM Custom Floor Mats / GM Molded Splash Guards / Factory Wings Spoiler / Formula One Pinnacle 35 % Window Tinting / Chrome Recessed Upper & Lower Front Grilles / Gas Bib / Debadged Doors & Trunk / "GT" Interior Door Badges / "Pontiac" Dashboard Badge / GrafxWerks Door Reflector Overlays

Re: Preserving my finish from those #@%$&*! birds!!

A car cover, but then you'll have a car cover thats covered in shit.
    Blue Man Group

Comment

Keep your car waxed and remove any bird bombs asap with detailing spray.

Comment

Garage and a 1912 Geo Metro that you don't care about for a new work car.
        Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
          Troy, never heard of "detailing spray". Is there a certain type you use?

Earl, I wish I could afford a Geo Metro to use in going to work. Would make it so much easier. The insurance and gas would kill me though. Guess I'm a one car guy!

Jeff

OnStar / XM Satellite Radio / Monsoon Sound System / Sun Roof / GM Custom Floor Mats / GM Molded Splash Guards / Factory Wings Spoiler / Formula One Pinnacle 35 % Window Tinting / Chrome Recessed Upper & Lower Front Grilles / Gas Bib / Debadged Doors & Trunk / "GT" Interior Door Badges / "Pontiac" Dashboard Badge / GrafxWerks Door Reflector Overlays

Comment

I have some MaGuiers (spelling?) and it works good.
            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Meguiar's makes a few detailing sprays. There's quick detailer and Ultimate quick detailer, both of which you should be able to find quite easily. Also NXT Quick Detailer. Any of them will work well. The UQD makes your car bead water like crazy for a few days after you use it.

Comment

Alka-seltzer tablets?
                "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Nightrider
                  Troy, never heard of "detailing spray". Is there a certain type you use?

Jeff
                  Pretty much any reputable brand will work, the cheaper stuff has more cleaner content. Meg's NXT is what I like to use, because I feel it is more stable than UQD. But either of them along with quik detailer will work great. My 2 main sprays are NXT and Ultima quick detailer. You can also explore spray waxes, but as long as you get them early enough I would just use detailing spray. If they get baked on there, and you really want to take care of it then I would consider a spray wax and/or sticking to a polymer wax instead of carnauba.

Comment

I have the same problem.

As has been said, keep a good solid coat of wax on it. If you get bombed, wash it off ASAP. I have a $5 car wash across the street from where I work. If I get bombed bad enough, I buck up and pay $5 to avoid touching it. If it's only spotty, I hit it with a garden hose when i get home, and follow up just with some general car wash concentrate. I have a pre-mixed quart of water/soap in a spray bottle.

Lately though, I just don't care and let it all sit there. Why? It hides all the scratches and dings! They have good aim...
                    2009 PONTIAC G8
                    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Then you should re-wax that area though however.

Comment

Then you should re-wax that area though however.
                        Haven't put a coat of wax on since the day I took delivery...

*dodges bullets*
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

I'm not touching that one then.

Comment

Pretty much any reputable brand will work, the cheaper stuff has more cleaner content. Meg's NXT is what I like to use, because I feel it is more stable than UQD. But either of them along with quik detailer will work great. My 2 main sprays are NXT and Ultima quick detailer. You can also explore spray waxes, but as long as you get them early enough I would just use detailing spray. If they get baked on there, and you really want to take care of it then I would consider a spray wax and/or sticking to a polymer wax instead of carnauba.
                            Troy thanks for all the info! James you too! I appreciate everyone's comments on a problem we all share! I will be checking out these detailing sprays this weekend.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X