Rock Chips on a black car!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Chips on a black car!?

Well im not 100% exactly where to post this but I thought this would be the right spot.

After my last wash I noticed small chips in my car, I didnt think much of it until today and realized what it really was. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get rid of these, or am I better off just taking it to a automotive paint shop to get it fixed? I can see the gray in the scratches so I think its pretty deep.
    Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Re: Rock Chips on a black car!?

Touch up paint would probably be your only other option. Some people will use a black sharpie to colour them in so you can't see them, but then the metal underneath could still rust.

Comment

Ill give that a try then. It just kills me esp. when its a black car!

I googled its some more and it said use some touch up paint and then sand it down with a high (1500 then a 2000) grit sand paper and then rewax it?
      Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Yup - just be very careful and take your time if you try that. Someone like Interfire would know how to do this a lot better than I would.

Comment

use a sharpie.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
          Originally posted by [i
          Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

You will need to fill up the gap, but all really depends on how much are you willing to spend (timewise) on fixing "holes", specially on plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
              use a sharpie.
              I know someone that did that. It looked so bad. When you walked by it wrong a purple glare would just pop out at you.
              Black 2006 G6 GTP Leather and 3.9 liter

Comment

You can get some touchup paint, and then go to an arts store and get a very very fine paintbrush to apply it with. Don't use the brush it comes with since they are just too big. The new ones have the roller ball applicator but those are pretty useless unless it's confined to a certain type of scratch and not pit. After you do that yes the proper way is to sand it down, to level the repair and then use a polish to remove the scratches. If you don't then you'll always see the sanding marks and dull finish even if you wax it. Now if you don't feel comfortable doing this then don't even try, it doesn't sound as bad as it does really though. Use anything higher than 1500 grit, preferably something like 2000-2500 if you've never done this before. It will literally take less than 10 passes with 1000-1500 grit to burn right through your CC so be careful. Apply the paint in small steps too, not just one big glop. It will take at least several layers letting 24 hours between layers. I like to use a hole puncher and glue the sandpaper to the eraser end of pencils to make a 'sanding stick' on larger areas you can wrap it around a flat eraser to make a block. If all else fails I would recommend calling professional detailers and get them to look at it, they are just as good if not better than a good bodyshop and they'll usually charge far less.

Comment

Inter has it spot on. If you're going to do the repair yourself, do it right, and take your time. On a black car, if you don't, EVERYBODY will know it.

I like the idea of taking it to a detailer as an option.
                  2007 G6 Sedan - Liquid Silver, 2.4L
                  1980 Firebird Esprit - Polar white, 6.6L

Comment

Working...
                  X