Replacing US Speedo with Canadian Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing US Speedo with Canadian Version

I'm a recent member, residing in Toronto. I have an '07 GTP sedan, black on black that I purchased from an Ottawa dealer as a used car brought in from the US. I'd like to replace the existing US spec speedometer with the one installed on Canadian G6's. While it's not a big issue, I do prefer looking at a speedo with the set up I'm used to. Before I go to my dealer has anyone any helpful information on topic? I enjoy this site and apart from minor dings and some sratches which I'll fix when and if winter goes away, I really like this car. Thanks.
    Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
    Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
    Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Re: Replacing US Speedo with Canadian Version

as far as i know, the mileage is stored in the BCM, but I don't know if you can just swap in a canadian cluster and have it function properly. I suspect you have to have the car reprogrammed to function with a metric cluster, because the increments and maximums are different than a US cluster, and to just set the DIC to metric will not be accurate.
    2009 PONTIAC G8
    MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Bat cave says that no programming is necessary for cluster installation. But don't quote me on that meaning it will work, since I'm not entirely sure if there are different BCMs for US and Canada.

In the meantime just keep it set to Metric, and it'll be in KM/H.
      <-- Gray G6? Click!
      2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
      2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
      Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

The speedo's (or dash pod) are simply 'plug n play' interchangable, but I'm alarmed that your dealer did not switch it during reconditioning process after they purchased the vehicle. Every dealer here in Calgary where I run a Paintless Dent Removal business does this before safety, and I'm surprised Ontario of all places, where I grew up, would not have a rule or law regarding this, since they are so tight about everything as it is (?). Have you asked the dealer about it, or perhaps consulted OMVIC's rules? I believe there are some articles in the How-To section that explain the disassembly of the dash, if you were wanting to do it yourself, its actually quite straight forward.

Comment

Originally posted by PDRtech
          The speedo's (or dash pod) are simply 'plug n play' interchangable, but I'm alarmed that your dealer did not switch it during reconditioning process after they purchased the vehicle. Every dealer here in Calgary where I run a Paintless Dent Removal business does this before safety, and I'm surprised Ontario of all places, where I grew up, would not have a rule or law regarding this, since they are so tight about everything as it is (?). Have you asked the dealer about it, or perhaps consulted OMVIC's rules? I believe there are some articles in the How-To section that explain the disassembly of the dash, if you were wanting to do it yourself, its actually quite straight forward.
          Well if there is a law about it in Ontario there are dealers breaking it. Friend of mine got a Chev Pickup from a used dealer with an American cluster. I don't believe that it is law to have "Canadian" cluster in a used vehicle, some kind of loop hole I'm sure.
          06 GT Coupe, Stealth Metallic Grey

Comment

I'm just curious exactly what you mean because my speedo in my 06 is just the numbers. I have to switch between km/h and mph through the radio controls! (Metric and English)

I could be talking about something totally different, if so....feel free to smack me! lol
            <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbzino

I'm just curious exactly what you mean because my speedo in my 06 is just the numbers. I have to switch between km/h and mph through the radio controls! (Metric and English)

I could be talking about something totally different, if so....feel free to smack me! lol
              I was under the same impression as Bubbzino
              6MT

Comment

This is a US cluster:

Differences:
                - Main scale for speedo is MPH, so it only goes up to 140 (so theoretically Canadian cars go up to 240 MPH... )
                - Temperature is in Fahrenheit
                - Fuel Guage is in F and E instead of an icon
                - Most indicator lights are in English instead of icons, e.g. "BRAKE" instead of "((!))"
                <-- Gray G6? Click!
                2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
                2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
                Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by roaches
                  Originally posted by PDRtech
                  Well if there is a law about it in Ontario there are dealers breaking it. Friend of mine got a Chev Pickup from a used dealer with an American cluster. I don't believe that it is law to have "Canadian" cluster in a used vehicle, some kind of loop hole I'm sure.
                  It's kind of iffy.

They are required to make it so that KM/H is the predominant scale on the cluster to import a vehicle into Canada. I know in some cases they are required to put stickers on the cluster to change the speedometre.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I thought you were talking about the bathing suit at first.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
                    Originally posted by [i
                    Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
                      I thought you were talking about the bathing suit at first.
                      LMAO is there a difference between the two?

Differences:
                      - Main scale for speedo is MPH, so it only goes up to 140 (so theoretically Canadian cars go up to 240 MPH... )
                      - Temperature is in Fahrenheit
                      - Fuel Guage is in F and E instead of an icon
                      - Most indicator lights are in English instead of icons, e.g. "BRAKE" instead of "((!))"
                      I honestly didn't even consider all that info!
                      <----Got a red 6?

Current mods: Pooners crabs, eibach pro kit, 10000K lows and 8000k fogs, debadged, blacked out tails, redline quick lifts, tint - 5% rear - 15% front, 18" Matte Black MSR 045's, matte black dart overlays, chrome exhaust tip

Comment

Just don't set it to MPH and think you're in KM/H .. the cops here might get testy lol...
                        2007 G6 GTP Coupe 3.6 L VVT
                        - 6 Speed Automatic
                        - Premium Leather Package

Coming soon:
                        - Chrome lower grill inserts
                        - Spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by bull09
                          Just don't set it to MPH and think you're in KM/H .. the cops here might get testy lol...
                          Toronto cops would definetly get testy! lol
                          <----Got a red 6?

Comment

Any one have a pic of the canadian driver cluster? Whats diffrent from the US, higher numbers?
                            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                            Gotta have it Green color
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack
                            GT500 track pack differential cover
                            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

<----Got a red 6?

Comment

Working...
                              X